So I started learning how to play chords. As I'm sitting there, I do the typical n00b thing by looking at the fretboard everytime I play a chord. I find myself turning the fretboard towards me so i can see it better. Is this typical n00b behavior that will go away as i gain confidence playing chords or am I starting a bad habit? Should I start not looking at the fretboard, play the chord and see how my fingers land?
It's a habit you can easily stop once you memorize the frets. After awhile you won't need to see the fretboard, but as of right now, you probably need to look at it so you can learn the song. Don't be worried about looking stupid; you're new.
dont worry, since u started playing, its not like your gonna know the fretboard from the start, as you get better and perfect your chords, this will go away. I was just like that when i began playing but when i learned to play chords and lead better, it went away and now i can play without looking at the fret board
yea dude, it nothing you should be worried about. you'll get used to the frets and stop looking eventually. i look at them sometimes, but only when im messing around.

and it would be a good way to learn by not looking and see what happens. or you can look at them and see how fast you can get your fingers in the right position. thats how i learned to play.
Last edited by !normajean! at Jul 17, 2007,
yea, actually!!! Thats what i do when im learning a new song, or composing...

it helps me to visualize what im playing, and remember what im about to play !

However! It's really bad technique to tilt it towards you, for performances, never do it!

so after learning the song... try to play it without the tilting. Things like, finger posture will improve, thus, tone would too!

Ian
Don't worry I used to do that a lot too (sometimes I still look) but if you practice correctly and play the chords right you will eventually develop a muscle memory and be able to play them smoothly and easily. at least thats how it worked out for me .
Oh and i also advice you to practice playing while standing up, that will help a lot
yeah i did the same thing, you'll grow out of it
Quote by alteredstates
If you are rowing down the road in your canoe and your wagon wheel falls off. How many pancakes does it take to make a doghouse?

Green, because a vest has no sleeves.

Can't we all just get a bong?
Dont worry. I used to have that problem. NOwadays I dont look at the fretboard unless i come across like a Diminished chord or Augmented. Just practice the chords and over time you wont have to look at the fretboard
Yep, all these guys are spot on. I am almost nine months into this and I finally bought a guitar strap about two weeks ago.

I find myself "lost" on the fretboard sometimes and STILL and have to prop a leg up so I can crank the fretboard up so I can look. It gets better with time and lots of practice. And by lots of practice I mean, till you are about to be sick of it. When you are sick of it, practice some more (push yourself) and it will get better once you think you cannot take any more .

Chris
Thanks for all the replies. I'm glad that I'm not starting any bad habits. I decided that I'm going to alternate practice time between sitting and standing. Standing while playing is more difficult while trying to learn chords or play scales.
Yup it is harder but if u practice, it will come in handy during performance and stuff
its a noob habbit,if you want to break it wear a blindfold and play every song you know, including chords etc. after that you shoulnt have that problem.
Quote by dunkelblau

Dear Stoner Stone,
I have found in reading this post that you are lacking the intelligence of a normal person.
you need serious help, possibly involving a screwdriver, and a large piece of wood.
please, be deceased now.
thank you

Quote by Toniok2k
Thanks for all the replies. I'm glad that I'm not starting any bad habits. I decided that I'm going to alternate practice time between sitting and standing. Standing while playing is more difficult while trying to learn chords or play scales.

Man o' man are you right ... lol

Chris
For some reason I don't find it any harder to play standing up instead of sitting down. I usually just play sitting with the guitar on my left leg though. Its more comfortable.
I've been playing for a month and have discovered that once I know a chord, I don't look at the fret board at all. My biggest issue is I look at my picking hand. I don't know why. lol. Also I have a terrible time playing while standing up. A good trick you might try is play standing up in front of a mirror and watch yourself.
Quote by HollyW07
I've been playing for a month and have discovered that once I know a chord, I don't look at the fret board at all. My biggest issue is I look at my picking hand. I don't know why. lol. Also I have a terrible time playing while standing up. A good trick you might try is play standing up in front of a mirror and watch yourself.

I never thought of that, thanks I will give that a try