alrigt i decide to make a thread about being in a band and pretty much having to play lead guitar and lead vocals. first i'll tell you about my band

Halcyon - Prog Goth Symphonic Metal
lead guitar + lead vocals
rythm guitar + back up vocals
bass guitar + back up vocals
keyboard + occassionaly lead vocals ( female )
drummer + back up vocals

the first section i want to start on is balance

SECTION 1 Balance - everyone wants their time to shine

There needs to be a certain balance between you and the rest of the members during live perfomances and writing and recording. most pepl tend to dislike being in
a band where one guy pretty much does everything. just do your part.

to keep the guitarist happy split solos and switch on and off on certain key riffs depending on if there are vocals.
to keep the bassist happy allow certain bass breaks between parts of songs
bass intros also work very nice - you can also make a part entirely bass and drums and have everyone sing a certain line or phrase.
to keep the keyboardist happy you should allow lines to either flow above a riff and if there is a very important guitar riff allow it to blend in, also musical breaks on different instruments is a nice touch to any kind of music, piano solos are also very cool.
and finnaly drummers you should make a few very rythmic songs based around the drums, this can include little drum breaks or solos, my drummer likes to do that

now when writing everyone should be free to opinions, if your a guitarist and you come up with an interesting bass line ask the bassist if they like it if they say no let it go and use it somewhere else, its sorta like a relationship of give and take,
i like to work with my keyboardist and write stuff and share ideas, working together is key

section 2 will come soon, in the mean time pleez post to keep this up here, i'm hoping it gets a sticky
Last edited by AgainsTheMirror at Jul 17, 2007,
I think you should have chose a different title for this topic. I enjoyed it, but it's really something for everybody in a band, in my opinion.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
Pretty good. I agree
Quote by alteredstates
If you are rowing down the road in your canoe and your wagon wheel falls off. How many pancakes does it take to make a doghouse?

Green, because a vest has no sleeves.

Can't we all just get a bong?
Quote by faminepulse
wait wait...what?

good information, but use spell check before you post next time.

Learn proper grammar before you post again. When you start a sentence, the first letter is always capitalized. He didn't have perfect spelling, but it was readable. So fuck off.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
Last edited by Black Star at Jul 17, 2007,
Quote by Black Star
Learn proper grammar before you post again. When you start a sentence, the first letter is always capitalized. He didn't have perfect spelling, but it was readable. So fuck off.

Why you gotta say f uck off? It was just a tip man, and you can read what he's saying too so you're just a f ucking asshole and you should be the one f ucking off.

Also, this was a pretty good band chemistry thing.
Idk this seems very specific for a sticky, but I guess it helps. I disagree a bit tho, many great bands have come along where there's a main focus on a front man, but they are a completely different genre than your band's. If the band is more focused on the music and rocking out, I agree it should be a share the spotlight kinda deal, but if the poetry comes first a singer/guitarist will most likely have most of the stage. (i.e. smashing pumpkins, nirvana, the vines, etc.)

but overall I like it, not trying to rain on your parade it s agood article for certain genres of music or certain types of bands.
Quote by thev90
Why you gotta say f uck off? It was just a tip man, and you can read what he's saying too so you're just a f ucking asshole and you should be the one f ucking off.

Also, this was a pretty good band chemistry thing.

If he's going to criticize other people's spelling, he needs to make his own posts flawless first. We don't need immature, Pit monkey, Grammar Nazis coming into the other forums and saying "lolz u spellded rong!11!!!!".

Besides, unlike him, I actually contributed something.

PumpkinPieces is right. It doesn't apply to everybody, but it is still a very good guide to follow, regardless of your genre.
Quote by MuffinMan
Last edited by Black Star at Jul 17, 2007,
all right section 2

SECTION 2 - Singing and Playing Guitar live

One thing I beleive in is that you should have fun when your playing live.
Don't give yourself some technical riff while your trying to sing a line - beleive me its gets very confusing and frustrating. If you feel you just HAVE to play it that way knock your self out - it takes much much much much practice to do something like that and if you can bravo but if you find yourself dreading that one little part it's not worth it. I highly doubt any one will care too much. Most pepl care about the music a helluva lot more than your little ego trip you have going if your like that.

I suggest doing a rythm proggresiion similar to the notes your singing. Let the other guitarist do the tech work. When you throw in the bass, drums, and keyboard over that it works very well. In the end its all about the music.

Now for vocals just try your best and have fun, the majority of bands on the radio sound like poop live so if you can sing I don't know.... PATD! fine your ok. Don't bite off more than you can chew. If your not a very good screamer don't scream. We'd rather not hear it. And don't forget that energy!! I love it when i see someone dashing around the stage and just going bananas. This is entertainment people!.
If dressing up like a gorrila draws you some fans go ahead! It's a free world you know. Just don't rely on your gimmicks when you start to suck.....

section three GiMMICKS coming up
Last edited by AgainsTheMirror at Jul 17, 2007,
oh yeah if any one has any suggestions to add anything to these go ahead and post em, i'll put em up if i feel it benefits the peice and i'll give credits, i might turn this into a article or something after i edit and add things
good read, maybe submit it all as and article correct the spelling first
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
alright time for round three

Section 3: Gimmick or Trademark Qaulites/ Originality

Face it, you would LOVE to see someone get ingulfed in fire on stage while in the heat of a solo. I would too, but sometimes we can't always do those things we'd love to see. If your going to front a band you have to be different than the others in your band, be the badass, be the silent creepy dude, there are a bunch of things you can do, i'll make a list of suggestions to start you off.

Part 1. Appearances
I - Costumes!!! - monters, chickens, aleins, or whatever the hell you think of.
II - Wacky Hair!! - mohawk, dreadlokcs, hair down to your knees, bald
III - Tattoes!! - go bald and tatoe ur head, hands, neck, try some symbolism of ur band
IV - Happy or Sad - black or white, grey or green, set a mood for yourself
V- Metal Things - metal hands are fun, armor actually just came to me too.
VI- Spikes - put on some shoulder spikes, shin spikes, spike bands hand and neck whatever

Part 2. What You Stand For, it reely doesn't need a list, you have the power to help pepl, use it. Charities, enviromental acts, political - whatever.

i think i need some more suggestions, pleez post some ideas for this one, i'm just doing this stuff as i go as you might be able to tell
I am the guitarist in my band and I sing.

Well, the way we do it is during verses and shizz the other guitarist does the lead line and I usually am strumming chords. But then if the song warrants we'll switch and I'll solo and he'll do chords. We have no bass player and I also play the occasional synth line. We just let drummer do w/e the **** he wants really, unless he totally changes the whole vibe of the song, which he has done before.

EDIT: as far as gimmicks go, I jump around the stage like a madman and pull some sick dance moves while I'm not singing. The guitarist kind of just stands there and looks like a badass. He's the 'guitarist with mystuiqe' ("almost famous" greatest movie ever). And the drummer plays drums...not much room for a gimmick or anything.
Last edited by WhereArtEsteban at Jul 18, 2007,
James Iha >>> Billy Corgan.
Corgan rules that band with an iron fist. He basically IS the Smashing Pumpkins.
I find having one guitarist delegated to rhythm and one to lead is a bad idea. its kinda like saying, well, you suck, just play rhythm. Me and the other guitarist in my band switch off leads and such, like you said, therefore, your band doesnt really have a set rhythm/lead. Since I'm doing lead vocals, and he's doing back up, and our bassist is back up too, he ends up with the leads on the verse or the chorus usually. Unless the melody goes perfect with the words. And we try to put at least 1-2 solos per song.
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"