I read somewhere that science doesn't set out to prove anything, but to disprove things. I didn't think it made any sense. Any ideas?
Thats kinda logical.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Well anything can happen/is possible until you prove that it cant be done either by science or math.

Except trying to pin jelly to a tree - that cant be done at all, and anyone who says they have done it is lying!
It basically traps ideas into a corner by eliminating ideas that are proven false.
It's a jab at science saying that scientists spend time saying others are wrong, without really any goals in mind.
Kind of nominated for Best Retired User.

Skepto > Oxygen
I think it's if you have a theory, you try to prove it wrong, if you can't then it would be valid?
Quote by DUP3R
I like my women like I like my Pop-tarts : dipped in blood and covered in a gay man's feces.

This sig was too fucking big. Make it smaller next time, chief.
Quote by clement1
Well anything can happen/is possible until you prove that it cant be done either by science or math.

Technically, it's illogical to say that something can't be done.
Kind of nominated for Best Retired User.

Skepto > Oxygen
the basic principle behind science is that you can never prove, only disprove. this is because it is impossible account for every contributing variable, but you can test certain ones and disprove them one at a time. anyone who has had a good science professor would know this.

"the hypothesis was accepted" instead of "this was proven"
yea it makes sense. People come up with theories(Like religion for example) and Science sets out to prove the theories wrong(Like they do with religion)
In my eyes

Science sets out not to prove or disprove
but to explain

Or atleast science used properly... i think
Quote by REBAN primusfan
i enjoy getting boners. they make me feel important.

Quote by chubbychunks
George Lucas didn't invent Christianity, although he was a big contributor.
The people who are dedicated to science (In the past) have set out to disprove theories, such as the dude who disproved spontaneous generation...I dont remember his name.
Yellowknife, Northwest Territories
Quote by JMack
Technically, it's illogical to say that something can't be done.

Absolutely. Science isn't out to prove things can't be done. It's illogical to say you can prove a negative. That's why science will never be able to prove God doesn't exist.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
Absolutely. Science isn't out to prove things can't be done. It's illogical to say you can prove a negative. That's why science will never be able to prove God doesn't exist.

Unless they Hack in the afterlife dimension =P
god's existence cannot be proven or disproven because it lies outside the realm of physical, empirical data.

"science does not prove, but disproves" is not aimed at theories and beliefs, but moreso the factors that comprise those theories and beliefs.

no generalization can be proved by a finite number of data points, and no scientist is capable of testing all the infinitely many situations to which a theory must apply.