I have been recording A LOT this summer. I am going to be a sophomore in high school and I want to pursue music as my career so I spend a lot of my time doing music stuff (playing guitar, bass, writing music, mixing and mastering, etc.) I have been recording on a cheap Dell Dimension 8100 that could barely do my music stuff and didnt even do it that well. Well it is completely crashed. My brother (works at best buy) says it would cost about 400 bucks to fix this. Well I thought it would just be better to buy a new computer, an iMac. All my money that I have earned from work is going towards the car i will buy when im 16 so I try to spend as little as possible. Both my parents (divorced) give me about 300 bucks for xmas every year and I asked them if I could have 300 from each and not get a bday or xmas. They were a little skeptical but they understood what I wanted to do and they said they would. My grandparents also give me 200 for xmas and bday (combined). I know I am being a selfish asshole by asking for money in advance and I dont really feel good about it but no tax weekend is coming up in Missouri and so its a chance for me to save a lot of money on a computer. How do I go about asking my grandparents for my xmas and bday money in advance? I dont wanna come off as selfish (although I probably will). Does anyone have any advice.

Im probably going to get a lot of **** for this

EDIT: and how do i go about bringing this up? im seeing them tonight
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

Last edited by WlCmToTheJungle at Jul 17, 2007,
Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
Im probably going to get a lot of **** for this

Nah, I think it's a somewhat viable option. If a new computer is absolutely essential, then they should understand. But they also might tell you to wait a couple months.
WATCH THIS

Quote by GabeT347
does anybody have a sitar?
Quote by highway62
you have to buy them from george harrison. He owns all of them
Get another job, this is the first and essential step, you want to be working at least 30 hours a week.

What are the specs of your PC? It's probably not as bad as you think. And what are your A/D converters? You know, when it comes to music you always need some new piece of gear. I'm saving to buy a Fender Rhodes, and they go for around $1500, but I'm just gonna save up over a years time so I still have expendable cash for beer, strings, drum heads, food. So my point is you don't need the best quality recordings if you want to start your potential music career off with a few demos. There is no way you will ever get pro-quality recordings on a budget, a good studio is very expensive, so just go with what you've got.

Oh yeah, the specs, post em.

Also, Best Buy rips you off, and no offense but their staff aren't very knowledgble either.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
if you're asking your grandparents im pretty sure that no matter how politely you ask they'll give you cash in advance then insist on giving you bday and x-mas money anyway

did you know that the combined fortunes of all the people in the US 65 or older is $15 TRILLION(yes, trillion), and about 30% of these elderly claim that they struggle to pay their bills and all?

don't worry about it

and the only way you'll get into a lot of **** is if your parents ever find out(if you have the average grandparent, they won't)
Last edited by guitar_amateur at Jul 17, 2007,
explain why u want the money... they should understand, grandparents are kool like that
Quote by bpoeoanry
go back to sleep
Waking up with boobs? Is there a visine for that.
Quote by Muphin
Get another job, this is the first and essential step, you want to be working at least 30 hours a week.

What are the specs of your PC? It's probably not as bad as you think. And what are your A/D converters? You know, when it comes to music you always need some new piece of gear. I'm saving to buy a Fender Rhodes, and they go for around $1500, but I'm just gonna save up over a years time so I still have expendable cash for beer, strings, drum heads, food. So my point is you don't need the best quality recordings if you want to start your potential music career off with a few demos. There is no way you will ever get pro-quality recordings on a budget, a good studio is very expensive, so just go with what you've got.

Oh yeah, the specs, post em.

Also, Best Buy rips you off, and no offense but their staff aren't very knowledgble either.

this computer really has had it. Its from 2000, its a Windows ME upgraded to XP. 128 MB of rambus ram (it costs 300 bucks to upgrade to 512) and the CPU sucks balls. Id rather get a new one thatll last me a while rather than paying for more upgrades on an outdated computer

EDIT: and how exactly do i bring it up? im seeing them tonight.
My Gear:
Epiphone Sheraton II
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

explain everything that you've said here to your grandparents, and maybe get your mum to say something so that it doesnt seem like you've got your mum on your side or something.

mulletman500: i like koalas and sloths!!
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
I got crap to do, okay? Counter-Strike isn't going to play itself.
damn you get a lot of money. I'm jealous
but since your going to be a sophomore, then I take it your a year younger than me, meaning your 15, right?. Well then, put the car on hold and spend all the money on a new computer. Then, get a job as a bagboy at safeway and save up for a car. But since "no tax" or whatever the hell it is is coming up, just put it all towards the new computer, then think about a car. my recommendation anyways.
Quote by screamingfool34
people here are idiot.
Quote by Mr_H_MASTER
the only good wahs out there are Slashs, Zacks, and Dimebags.
Quote by evan1234567
im to tired and confused to comprehend what you said.
Get good grades, and it'll all come to you eventually.

You could also just wait.

Or if you really need it now, just ask. Worst thing they could do is spank you.
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
I am mad at you for ever now, i am lucky to get 150 for christmas other than from my parents. they usally give me 200$ in stuff. just go over to their house and say...is it possible for you to give me my money early because i need a computer to record some killer riffs or something along those lines
Quote by abcdboy
Get good grades, and it'll all come to you eventually.

You could also just wait.

Or if you really need it now, just ask. Worst thing they could do is spank you.

I got a 3.8 last semester haha

and on the comp thing, i really cant wait for a few reasons

1. ive been writing some very cool songs and without means of recording I can't seem to finish them

2. no tax weekend can save me up to 200 bucks, thats huge
My Gear:
Epiphone Sheraton II
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

bring up you music and being granparents they'll ask you about it.. tell them your saving up for something to help you make better recordings and you only a couple hundred short.. then say something like "oh my goodness, now i know what i want for my birthday and christmas! too bad i'm gonna try to buy it sooner than that.."

...should be illegal its works so good
well....sorry
If you already have $600 you could take $400 out of your car fund and get the computer. If you work enough You'll earn it back in time to get a car.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything