I got my first bass the other day and it's a Brownsville Six String, Left Handed (because I'm left-handed, obviously). I saw it damaged one day and couldn't pass up the deal they offered me.

Anyway, back to the point of my post, I want to play some slap and some nu-metal stuff (Fieldy) and am wondering if I made a mistake in getting the 6 and not waiting for a 5.

Will having less space between strings limit me as I don't plan on really solo-ing much or did I make a decent call? I just don't know if I'll be able to slap as well or do anything like that.

I got the bass for $200 in case you were interested.
No man. It's not a problem. I've got a 5stringer with extra tight string space. You will get used to it. Don't worry. And you will find the C string a great thing for soloing.
The jazz student
starting on a 6 is going to be really hard for you. i would say that it was a bad idea, but 200 is a great price.

less space is great for rest stop playing, great for walking through scales and ****, but not so great for "fieldy" esque playing, at least not for a beginner.

a 6 string for 200 is never a mistake though, you can always buy a p bass or something
Quote by noahray
starting on a 6 is going to be really hard for you. i would say that it was a bad idea, but 200 is a great price.

less space is great for rest stop playing, great for walking through scales and ****, but not so great for "fieldy" esque playing, at least not for a beginner.

a 6 string for 200 is never a mistake though, you can always buy a p bass or something

So what do you suggest I do? I mean, I won't play exclusively slap, but I would like to implement a lot of it? Should I get another bass or just work hard to learn on this one?
i say just keep working on what you have. i have issues playing a 5 string, after so many years of 4 strings. i think learning on a 6 will make playing a 5, or 4 string, easier, later on.
I think you can do even more with a 6 than you can do with a 5 in any given hand position. But, if it's really bugging you, and you're feeling crazy, string your 6 string F#BEAD (a lot of people use a .145 for an F#).
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I have a friend who started out on a 6 string and was fine. As long as you are committed to practicing you should be fine. I play a 6 string and slap took a little bit getting use to but now I prefer slapping on a 6 over a 4 anyday.
Holiday, Boulevard Of Broken Dreams And American Idiot's Solos!!!! Those Are Soooo Good!!!
greenday1182
Awesome. Thanks for the replies, I think I'm going to try to stick it out on 6 and do my best to get it down. Any good places you know of to learn to slap correctly? I don't mind buying a book or something if it would help.
I imagine learning to slap on a 6 string will be a ***** and a half but I guarantee that once you get it down you will have absolutely no problem if you want to take a step back and go to a 5 or 4 string. If you were working vice versa it might be a different scenario
Six String will be quite hard to start with but I am sure you can pull it off. It was not a bad choice considering that is a great price.
Quote by amitbob21
ok im a noob at slapping. Is it my strings or do i just suck at slapping? I have a squier fender J bass(im a noob). Im thinking of getting Ibanez GSR200

Quote by CheekanWofls
Practice on your wife
You can play any song slap. Just find an easy song you can constantly play with a pick or your fingers and try to slap it. It's easier than learning a whole new song just to slap.

I'm not very good at slapping, but my cousin was watching me try to slap and told me that hitting the string downward might improve my technique. I guess that helped me a little, but it seems like raisin my action helped more than anything. I still suck at slapping though.