I remember hearing someone say that playing a bass out of a regular guitar amp would break it can someone explain this to me?
i found the best way to destroy an amp is to slap an e extremly hard, that usually does the trick haha
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
The speakers in a guitar amp aren't made for the low frequency of a bass. The speaker doesn't handle it well and the speaker gets ruined.

And the gods of bass shalt smite thee with their swords of righteousness for such a heinous sin ...or something similar...

In reality, you can do this as long as you don't crank the amp. But you will see noticeable sound degradation (quality that is) in the low ends. As Jazz said, the typical guitar amp is not suited to support the low ends of bass, so its not going to give you the full low end range of a bass amp. And if you crank it, the speaker damage will quickly ensue.

There are some smaller guitar amps (the Roland Cube and the Pignose h30 for instance) that do a better job in handling low end than your usual guitar amp and are good if you are not supporting anything more than an acoustic guitar or two. I own the Pignose H30 and its great for those informal backyard parties or smaller jams, but I would never rely on it as my sole bass amp.

Spending the money on a real bass amp is the best investment you can make towards improving your sound and getting the most out of your instrument.
Right now I have a flextone III and I just wanted a cheap bass to learn some cool rancid stuff and maybe some slap bass. Is slap bass hard to learn?
Quote by Osiris77
Right now I have a flextone III and I just wanted a cheap bass to learn some cool rancid stuff and maybe some slap bass. Is slap bass hard to learn?

Quite. You should learn the basic bass technique first.
Quote by amitbob21
ok im a noob at slapping. Is it my strings or do i just suck at slapping? I have a squier fender J bass(im a noob). Im thinking of getting Ibanez GSR200

Quote by CheekanWofls
Practice on your wife
When i go over my friends house, sometimes i use his guitar amp. I play it loud enough to keep up with them, but i play usually very trebally (sp?) and with a pick so nothing happens to the amp. And nothing has so far