I'm going to buy a new distortion box, because my MG won't quite reach metal territory on it's own and my Digitech Rp80 is too noisy and digital sounding. I was thinking either a Electro Harmonix Metal Muff, Zakk Wylde Distortion, or the MXR Distortion III. I've seen reviews from guitar world for the Metal Muff and thought it sounded better than the Krank distortus maximus. I play anything from Classic Rock and Blues up to Punk and Heavy Metal. Also I'm thinking about getting the WD7 Weeping Demon from Ibanez, or the Zakk Wylde Wah. I need something that will play light stuff like Hendrix and Clapton, but can get heavy like Zakk Wylde's tone on Live at Budokan, and i've heard that the Weeping Demon is really flexible that way.
ESP F-200 with Floyd Rose>

Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Electro Harmonix Pulsar Tremolo
BBE Boosta Grande
Fender Pedal Tuner>

Peavey Valveking 1x12
Quote by warlockking
I'm going to buy a new distortion box, because my MG won't quite reach metal territory on it's own and my Digitech Rp80 is too noisy and digital sounding. I was thinking either a Electro Harmonix Metal Muff, Zakk Wylde Distortion, or the MXR Distortion III. I've seen reviews from guitar world for the Metal Muff and thought it sounded better than the Krank distortus maximus. I play anything from Classic Rock and Blues up to Punk and Heavy Metal. Also I'm thinking about getting the WD7 Weeping Demon from Ibanez, or the Zakk Wylde Wah. I need something that will play light stuff like Hendrix and Clapton, but can get heavy like Zakk Wylde's tone on Live at Budokan, and i've heard that the Weeping Demon is really flexible that way.

No pedal or anything will ever make a Marshall MG sound decent for metal.

No pedal or anything will sound as good as the onboard distortion of a decent amp.

Get a better amp!
here's something you might need to get also for a good clean, but nasty distortion: a noise suppressor or compression sustainer. I use both of them for recordings and it makes any distortion pedal really sound crisply evil.
First things the Zakk Wylde is overdrive and if you want a distortion peddle i suggest is the BOSS Metal Zone
I suggest a Line 6 Uber metal pedal. its very affordable and has a very handy built in noise gate. plus it has a crapload of controls so u can make it sound the way u like. and it doesnt sound too digital if u lower the scoop, lower the highs and use a good amp with a good cab
GEAR:
Peavey 6505+ Head
Marshall 1960 Av Cab
Crate GLX 210 Combo
Line 6 Uber Metal Distortion Pedal
Digitech Expression Factory pedal
Ltd KH-202
Ltd AX-250
Currently wondering if i Should get a
Seymour Duncan C-1 or a Ltd Eclipse
mt-2 = crap

for the wah, get a vox.

distortion pedal, get a sansamp gt-2 if you have he money otherwise the metal muff is good also.
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

stop recommending crappy gear the Metalzone is rubbish
You need a new amp dude, you can't polish a turd- the MG is an example of that
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Yngwi3
stop recommending crappy gear the Metalzone is rubbish
You need a new amp dude, you can't polish a turd- the MG is an example of that

exactly.
^
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Bring your axe to guitar center or whatever store you have close to you and try out different pedals on an MG and figure out what sounds best that way.

Asking people on a guitar forum is a retarded way to go, (everybody has their biases)
Decaptivated

Ibanez S370 (all custom)
Mesa Boogie Studio Pre
Fender Champ 25se (used to power Mesa pre)
Custom 2x12 cab w/ Eminence Texas Heats
Quote by phatsack

Asking people on a guitar forum is a retarded way to go

Yes, I mean, GOD, asking people with far more knowledge than yourself who can enlighten you on great deals and help you obtain a really great tone is the retarded way to go- go to a guitar center instead where they will throw Marshall MG's, Line 6 Spiders and Digitech Death Metals at you saying they're the best thing since sliced bread- that makes much more sense
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

A decent distortion pedal is no use without a decent amp .... and a decent amp is no use without a decent guitar .... and so on....

I learnt the hard .... and expensive way

I've tried almost every distortion pedal out there ...... I had a collection of about 8 at one stage ....plus a couple multi effects pedals/units trying to get the ultimate distortion .

Invest in a decent amp .... rather save up .
Quote by clonevox
and a decent amp is no use without a decent guitar

Wrong way round sonny Jim
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Quote by Yngwi3
Yes, I mean, GOD, asking people with far more knowledge than yourself who can enlighten you on great deals and help you obtain a really great tone is the retarded way to go- go to a guitar center instead where they will throw Marshall MG's, Line 6 Spiders and Digitech Death Metals at you saying they're the best thing since sliced bread- that makes much more sense

lol,
Quote by uldhppi
If you are looking for an amp that sounds worse than an MG you will find very few. I would list my reasons but players that have them know more than I about exactly why they sound bad. Listen to owners and former owners.

this quote is from the MG thread that was closed, but this proves the point of why I would rather try the stuff out for myself
Decaptivated

Ibanez S370 (all custom)
Mesa Boogie Studio Pre
Fender Champ 25se (used to power Mesa pre)
Custom 2x12 cab w/ Eminence Texas Heats
Quote by Yngwi3
Wrong way round sonny Jim

Correct!

And to whoever advised a vox, yes that will get Hendrix and Clapton tones, but certainly not Zakk Wylde!
I use the Marshall Guv'nor pedal on my MG, and i can make it sound pretty damn good considering the price of it. I highly recommend it cos you can set the pedal up nicely to play metal like you want, or softer rock, very versatile and i got mine for £35.

I'm tempted to put a video on youtube to show tht i can actually make a good sound outta it, no matter tht i've only been playing for a year!
k i was in exactly the same situation as you, and ive got MG unfortunately yes i know there not that good (understatement, and im upgrading to a VC-30) but you can get a reasonable sound of them with metal muff. Infact if you know how to EQ you can a pretty ****ing good sound in my oppinion, anyway metal muff is very versatile stay clear of a line 6 uber theres thin and grainy. Muff rocks.

And as for the wah, you could get a wylde crybaby but i dont like em, i personally a few months ago brought a morley tremonti wah (prefered it to the bad horsie cause of the thicker tone) and ive never looked back since. The tremonti will get hendrix, and its one of the only few wah pedals which keeps going even when you got heavy gain. Also this morley wah just sounds better and better the louder your amp is.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--MLYMARK1
Go for the Metal Muff
Peavey JSX 2x12
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibz RG3EXQM - EMG 81/89
Ibz RG270 - Dimarzio PAF Pro/Mo' Joe
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez DE-7
EHX Small Clone
Boss NS-2
Quote by Varkunus
k i was in exactly the same situation as you, and ive got MG unfortunately yes i know there not that good (understatement, and im upgrading to a VC-30) but you can get a reasonable sound of them with metal muff. Infact if you know how to EQ you can a pretty ****ing good sound in my oppinion, anyway metal muff is very versatile stay clear of a line 6 uber theres thin and grainy. Muff rocks.

And as for the wah, you could get a wylde crybaby but i dont like em, i personally a few months ago brought a morley tremonti wah (prefered it to the bad horsie cause of the thicker tone) and ive never looked back since. The tremonti will get hendrix, and its one of the only few wah pedals which keeps going even when you got heavy gain. Also this morley wah just sounds better and better the louder your amp is.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--MLYMARK1

Is the mark Tremonti better than the Weeping Demon? I know the Zakk Wylde is pretty crappy (even though Zakk actually uses it) Cuz the Weeping Demon has more adjustments on it to change the sound that the tremonti and for less money, i'm gonna compare them on MF.
ESP F-200 with Floyd Rose>

Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Electro Harmonix Pulsar Tremolo
BBE Boosta Grande
Fender Pedal Tuner>

Peavey Valveking 1x12
i too used to have an MG (well still do, i can't find a buyer)
and boy...does my digitech metal master suck the tone out of ur guitar and amp.
from my experience all distortion pedals make every amp and guitar sound the same
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12