Im looking at both for a future purchase, whats the plus and neg of both? I am thinking more towards the AD30 head. but what do you think?
orange
Epiphone Custom 1966 SG w/EMG 85(B)
Epiphone Les Paul
Peavey Valveking
Boss SD-1 Overdrive; NS-2
Fender Tuner
wow, that was alot of help.
Ibanez JetKing II
Dean Caddy
line 6 spider III 15
Ibanez PM7
boss dd20
EH metal muff
crate gx-15
crate gx-120
yamaha rbx-170
oscar schmidt ob100b
dean markley k-20bx
carvin pb100-10
AD for lighter gain stuff, maybe up to Zeppelin.

Rocker for higher gain stuff.

That's the basic way of deciding mate.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
ive never played an AD30 but my udnerstanding is theyre more for your light stuff, as mentioned above, and more for standard tunings. if youre looking for a thicker, heavier sound, with an intact sound for dropped tunings, you may want rocker 30. im very happy with mine.
Quote by langers73
ive never played an AD30 but my udnerstanding is theyre more for your light stuff, as mentioned above, and more for standard tunings. if youre looking for a thicker, heavier sound, with an intact sound for dropped tunings, you may want rocker 30. im very happy with mine.

Please....pictures of your guitars...

PLEASE!!!

How does that MIJ strat play on the orange?
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
^Probably as good as mine

Well the AD30 has less gain, as said up to classic rock gain. But most of all the sound is different from the Rocker 30. The AD30 has a much smoother gain and a smoother sound in general, which is more blues-y. The Rocker 30 is also an awesome classic rock amp, but has a more rock sound and sounds kind of like a cranked Plexi or JCM800. I play classic rock and blues only and the Rocker 30 is perfect for what I play.

But TS what do you play?
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
I play a very distorted(metal muff) drop b, pelican like stuff. and i also play experimental, mars volta, and such. but all my sound comes from pedals.
Ibanez JetKing II
Dean Caddy
line 6 spider III 15
Ibanez PM7
boss dd20
EH metal muff
crate gx-15
crate gx-120
yamaha rbx-170
oscar schmidt ob100b
dean markley k-20bx
carvin pb100-10
Well if you want very distorted tones don't get an Orange. It won't do a good down tuned, drop b sound.

My tip is an ENGL Screamer, would handle what you play.

Orange are more for classic sounds.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

okay, im sure you know what your talking about, however there is a local band, and the both used orange heads(the rythem guitarist used a ad30 head but recently sold his for a sunn head) but they have a great sound, very heavy.
heres there site so you can check them out, and see the style i play:
www.myspace.com/ocoai
im actully looking just for a head right now, i have already decided on a avatar cab.

[edit]: I guess i should take in conciderations, Im looking for a tube class A head.
Ibanez JetKing II
Dean Caddy
line 6 spider III 15
Ibanez PM7
boss dd20
EH metal muff
crate gx-15
crate gx-120
yamaha rbx-170
oscar schmidt ob100b
dean markley k-20bx
carvin pb100-10
Last edited by Gothkoss at Jul 31, 2007,
Quote by Gothkoss
Im looking for a tube class A head.

Just look for the best sounding amp. All this new "Class A" stuff is essentially BS. If an amp has more than one power tube, odds are that it's not class A. Don't get caught up in the hype.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
^ Either that, or it's something like an AC30 where it'll go to class AB when it's cranked.

Why does anyone care, anyway? Hell, Marshalls have always been Class AB, and those things are awesome.
If you play pelican sludgey metal stuff I would go with Gabel and tell you to get an ENGL Screamer 50 or even a Fireball.

They're more modern voiced amps and have a lot more gain than the Oranges. They will handle your distortion stuff better on their own than putting a metal muff in front of an Orange.

Either them or get a 5150/6505, they're pretty dark voiced amps with plenty of gain for that kinda music.
^+1

Basically sure, you can sue pedals, but it won't sound as good as real tube distortion.

End of story.

And why Class A? Did you know that Class A delivers less power and is a lot more vintage voiced. Class A has nothing to do with quality. It's how the tubes operate. Class A are the most common in smaller amp (30 watts and below). Don't get caught in the hype.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band