Poll: Are you straight edge?
Poll Options
View poll results: Are you straight edge?
Yeah!
69 27%
No!
166 64%
I don't know anymore!
25 10%
Voters: 260.
Page 1 of 3
I am. And I must admit, I honestly didn't have a clue of what it was until about one month ago and I'm almost 16.

Anyways, I took this from wikipedia for some of the slower UGer's so you are not left to be embarrassed...

Straight edge (also known as sXe, and xXx) refers to a lifestyle (deemed both counter culture and subculture) closely associated with hardcore punk music. There is considerable debate over what constitutes the practice of the straight edge lifestyle. The most widely associated perception involves practicing at least some degree of abstinance from alcohol, tobacco, and other drugs. Some views may also include abstinance from caffeine, following a vegetarian or vegan diet, and abstinance from various levels and forms of sexual activity.
Sooo thats saying that straight-edged people are hardcore punk rockers who are against drugs and alcohol?
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Quote by Diet_coke_head
So you claimed Straight Edge and didn't even know what is was?

No I think he just noticed he was when he read the article.
Don't you think it's a bit ironic that you claim to be straight edge, yet you have a pot leaf next to the title of this thread???!!!
I'm a vegan and I don't drink, smoke, do drugs, et cetera, and I listen to some straight edge music, but I'm not straight edge.
Why? Because straight edge isn't counterculture, it's just as bad as the culture it claims to oppose. It's elitism with sober, skinny virgins.
personally, i don't care if people are straight edge but I think its stupid when people brag about it and stuff. i think people should just keep it to themselves
Quote by xsynysterx06
adio_stack...i love you.
im not homo..

Quote by RideTheAnger13
lmao, omg, Adio, you have the best avatar known to man!
Congratulations!

Can I go now?
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

My Gear :

-Peavey HP Signature EX
-Fender 100H(Head) + Fender FM412 (Cab)
-GBX Custom Bug
-Dunlop Wah Pedal GCB-95
-Marshall GV-2 Plus
-Boss CS-3
-Behringer Digital Reverb DR100
Buddy, you can't be straight-edge till you're 21. Otherwise you're just a poser who wants an idenity.
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
Quote by Diet_coke_head
So you claimed Straight Edge and didn't even know what is was?

I finally figured out what it really meant about a month ago when I had to ask a fellow bandmate cas this kid asked him before our show if he was and he said yeah. It takes a while for that kind of vocabulary to get onto me though.
abstaining from alchohol tobacco, and drugs. thats not straight edge, its called obeying the law.

Jack my swag
Quote by Me2NiK
I'm a vegan and I don't drink, smoke, do drugs, et cetera, and I listen to some straight edge music, but I'm not straight edge.
Why? Because straight edge isn't counterculture, it's just as bad as the culture it claims to oppose. It's elitism with sober, skinny virgins.

*Applause*

This guy has it right.

I drink but thats it. If I ever went sober I wouldnt call myself straightedge.
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
you most definitely AREN'T "the coolest!"

+1
Quote by Adio_stack
personally, i don't care if people are straight edge but I think its stupid when people brag about it and stuff. i think people should just keep it to themselves

Yeah, that's stupid. It's like they're doing it just so they can brag about it.
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
Quote by Im the coolest!
I finally figured out what it really meant about a month ago when I had to ask a fellow bandmate cas this kid asked him before our show if he was and he said yeah. It takes a while for that kind of vocabulary to get onto me though.

Whatever, do what you want. But like somebody else said, I dont think you can truly claim straight edge until you are old enough to do those things, right now you are just a 15 year old trying to fit in.
Quote by DanRev
I drink but thats it. If I ever went sober I wouldnt call myself straightedge.

Same here.
Quote by RizzoWashburn
Buddy, you can't be straight-edge till you're 21. Otherwise you're just a poser who wants an idenity.

Sure you can. Plenty of people drink before they're the legal age, myself included.
The morning will come

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Quote by Hoppusorange
Don't you think it's a bit ironic that you claim to be straight edge, yet you have a pot leaf next to the title of this thread???!!!

Exactly what I was thinking lmao.

Quote by RizzoWashburn

Not every country has the legal age at 21....
Last edited by DPH at Jul 17, 2007,
Quote by SOADrox429
Sure you can. Plenty of people drink before they're the legal age, myself included.

And even more people do not drink before they're the legal age. That doesn't make them all straight edge.
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
Your logic that you have to be of legal age to be straight edge is dumb.

What's the age at which it becomes legal to have sex?
What's the age at which caffiene becomes legal?
What's the age at which eating meat becomes legal?
What's the age at which narcotics become legal?

By that logic the only people who could be straight edge are dead people and people in (relatively) liberal democracies that institute drug programs for those addicted to drugs (and, while being subject to these programs -- meaning you would have to have been addicted to the illegial drugs you're NOT doing at some point -- choosing to outright deny them).
Quote by Captain Insano
No I think he just noticed he was when he read the article.
Why did I just admit that I didn't know it, then?
Quote by RizzoWashburn
And even more people do not drink before they're the legal age. That doesn't make them all straight edge.

Yeah, but most people do drink or have sex before it's legal, so you can still be straight edge. Drugs aren't legal at all for most people, so not doing drugs would therefore not be a part of being straightedge, it would just be obeying the law.
The morning will come

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Also, lol at straight edge elitism in action in a thread about being straight edge.
Quote by Me2NiK
Your logic that you have to be of legal age to be straight edge is dumb.

What's the age at which it becomes legal to have sex?
What's the age at which caffiene becomes legal?
What's the age at which eating meat becomes legal?
What's the age at which narcotics become legal?

By that logic the only people who could be straight edge are dead people and people in (relatively) liberal democracies that institute drug programs for those addicted to drugs (and, while being subject to these programs -- meaning you would have to have been addicted to the illegial drugs you're NOT doing at some point -- choosing to outright deny them).

You guys are looking at it differently than I am. I am a huge Minor Threat fan (just so TS knows, they invented sXe). Ian MacKaye's original "straight-edge" was simply No Drugs, No Alcahol.

The No sex part just comes from emo pussies who can't get laid.
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
Holy Jesus the logic in this thread is just stupid.

Just because you're obeying the law, it doesn't mean you can't claim to be straight edge.

That's like saying you can't say you're a good driver if you obey traffic laws. It's just ridiculous.
that's the name of the company that repairs dents in cars that's affiliated with where I work. why else would I check this thread out? now I'm disappointed. I wanted to talk about dents.
Quote by Oligarchy
SGRocker0791 and Raijin.xiii are ass holes in case anyone was wondering.

Quote by jimmyjimjim
try not to be such a dick

Quote by jdotp
thanks to the ignorant prick
Quote by RizzoWashburn
You guys are looking at it differently than I am. I am a huge Minor Threat fan (just so TS knows, they invented sXe). Ian MacKaye's original "straight-edge" was simply No Drugs, No Alcahol.

The No sex part just comes from emo pussies who can't get laid.

But that still means that our argument about drugs not having a legal age is still valid.
The morning will come

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Quote by RizzoWashburn

thats false and a half
I don't ask for much
Truth be told I'll settle for
A life less frightening, a life less frightening
Quote by Inimical

Just because you're obeying the law, it doesn't mean you can't claim to be straight edge.

That's like saying you can't say you're a good driver if you obey traffic laws. It's just ridiculous.

I think you missed something.
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools
Quote by Inimical

The point I'm trying to make is that sXe isn't just not drinking/drugging.

Straight Edge started in the punk scene as a way to evade the stereotype that all punks are just drunk potheads.

In a scene where drugs were very common, sXe was a way to say "**** That! I'm not going to sacrifice my well-being for a quick high".

Just because the TS doesn't drink or do drugs doesn't make him straight edge. He is in no way part of the sXe scene. Not everybody who is sober is straight edge.
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
Ian MacKaye's Straight Edge manifesto (the song "Straight Edge") refers to the fact that he did not do drugs and therefore kept a level head. He meant this to mean that because of this he had an "edge" over the overindulgers that surrounded him.

If anything, the alcohol part was added afterwards; the defenition of straight edge is simply that one lived a pure lifestyle. The individual defenition of that is only subject to YOUR interpretation. Calling yourself straight edge is a massive hypocrisy in itself; straight edge defines itself as being something that goes against cultural norms -- young people drinking, smoking, doing drugs, having sex -- and being loud and obnoxious about it. It effectively ceases to be counterculture when it becomes elitist and scrutinizes the defnition of straight edge even further -- "Oh, he's not REALLY straight edge, he eats dairy" -- and makes the straight edge kid, in the eyes of many, a walking massive hypocrite.
If a person wants to restrain from doing drugs and alcohol and even sex because its healthy, good for them, they made a good choice. However, to run around with X's on your arms and looking down on people who do choose to do those things, that's just asking for a beating. Healthy people are cool, but SxE would be better off committing suicide.

Edit: why should Punk people give a damn about what others perception of them is if they drink, smoke or don't? Isn't that the whole attitude of punk? Don't give a damn about what other's think?
Last edited by WinterMadness76 at Jul 17, 2007,
i respect someones desicion to not do drugs, or drink, and to be abstinent but sxe has become a trend now when the original purpouse of it was to not follow a trend

all the kids who claim edge in my school are assholes who go around starting fights with people who choose not to be drug free, and make fun of kids who are younger than them, and think throwdown is true hardcore

my old band had a song called "straight edge is dead"
Quote by Twist of fate
Go to the "ONLY" free box thread

Quote by orpheus171
i masturbate to my best friends little sister..........i want her
Straight edge is gay. I'm sober and not a man-*****. You don't need some special phrase to draw attention to the fact that you're different.
Dickless.
Hell no. Alcohol and weed are good things.
لا إله إلا الله محمد رسول الله
I've come to find that a majority of people who claim to be straight edge are Elitist dicks who simply think that they're better than everyone else. They are annoying, arrogant, and mean. They attempt to be good people by staying away from the whole drug/alcohol/tobacco/sex/meat thing, but the only people who like them are other Elitist dicks.
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
They weren't homeless they were just Grunge.
I am the exact opposite of straight edge.
Random Metal-X fact:

Metal-X now sponsors: Blood Culprit!

"Ass Fuckingly Loud"

\m/^_^\m/ New Songs Up!!! \m/^_^\m/
Page 1 of 3