I am thinking about getting this PA system for my band. I don't understand all the techno-babble. Someone please explain all this to me. I think it would be ok for two possibly three guitars, a trombone, and 3 mics. Someone tell me if this would work for that. Thanks.

Behringer PMH1000 Europower Powered Mixer
This mixer gives you 12 channels (4 mono + 4 stereo) plus stereo tape returns. 2 of the stereo channels have additional mic inputs, giving you the capacity to handle small bands or events with several microphones plus various playback devices. Its 2x200W (400W bridged mode) CoolAudio amplifier delivers the power and flexibility in an ultracompact mixer that is about half the weight of conventional powered mixers.

XPQ 3D surround sound effect, integrated Voice Canceler that removes vocals for karaoke applications, a stereo 7-band graphic EQ with FBQ feedback detection, dual 12-segment LED output level meters, stereo power amp inserts, and phones/ctrl R output with dedicated level control for headphones or powered monitors. 6 balanced low-impedance mic inputs (4 are state-of-the-art IMP "invisible" mic preamps) with low-cut filter and additional channel inserts. All channels feature high-quality 60mm logarithmic faders for exact level control, input level trim controls, monitor and FX sends, signal and peak LED indicators, and channel mute buttons. The dedicated CD/tape input lets you connect a line-level stereo source while the standby switch instantly mutes all of the mic input channels so you can play music during your breaks without having to change the fader positions and lose your mix. The super-rugged carrying handle makes it easy to transport while professional Speakon connectors ensure outstanding performance and reliable connection.
That's just the mixer, and doesn't include mics and speakers. You probably want to buy a full package, and stay away from behringer, they make cheap stuff. Yamaha has inexpensive equipment that still sounds good.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
One person can easily handle the Yamaha STAGEPAS 300 Portable PA System. The easy-to-use, ultracompact design incorporates 2 - 2-way loudspeakers, a 6/8-channel (4 mono, 2 stereo) mixer, and dual 150W amplifiers to provide a reliable sound system.

Each speaker contains an 8" woofer and 1" compression driver, driven by an efficient 150W (x2) Class D amplifier. The mixer features balanced XLR connectors, mic/line switches and balanced 1/4" jacks, 2-band channel EQ, and switchable 24-bit digital reverb. RCA connectors with separate level control for a tape recorder or a CD player are conveniently located on the front panel, plus stereo-out and monitor connections.

For added convenience, both high-impact molded speaker enclosures are polemountable with optional ADP138 adapters from Yamaha, and rear compartments house the mixer, cables, mics, and accessories.

Yamaha STAGEPAS 300 Portable PA System Specifications:

Maximum Output Power: 150W+150W/6 ohms @10% THD at 1kHz (SPEAKER L/R) 100W+100W/6 ohms @1% THD at 1kHz (SPEAKER L/R) ±15dB
Frequency Response: 3dB, 0dB, +1dB @20Hz 20kHz, 1W Output/6 ohms (Without MUSIC/SPEECH, EQ and SP EQ Circuit) (SPEAKER L/R); -3dB, 0dB, +1dB @ 20Hz 20kHz, +4dBu 10kOhm Load [MUSIC/SPEECH] switch=MUSIC (MONITOR OUT, REC OUT)
Total Harmonic Distortion: 1% @ 1kHz, 50W output (SPEAKER L/R); 0.5% @20Hz 20kHz, +14dBu 10kOhm (MONITOR OUT, REC OUT)
Speaker L/R output noise: -65 dBu Residual
Monitor/Rec output noise: -90 dBu Residual
Monitor Out/Ch Level output noise: -67 dBu Residual @ nominal level (CH1 4; MONITOR OUT)
Crosstalk: -70 dB between input channels
Weight: 40 lbs. (18 kg) Power Consumption: 70W
Stereo Input channel EQ
High: 10kHz shelving
Low: 100Hz shelving
Shelving turnover/rollover frequency: 3dB before maximum cut or boost; ±15dB
Enclosure: bass-reflex type
LF driver: 8" (20cm) cone driver
HF driver: 1" (2.54cm) compression driver
Cross Over Frequency: 4kHz
Frequency Range: 55Hz-20kHz
Maximum Output Level: 112dB (1m)
Yamaha STAGEPAS 300 Portable PA System Features:

Portable PA system
2 speakers with powered mixer
Speaker cables (16' x 2)
2-way bass reflex speakers
6/8-channel powered mixer
4 mono channels
2 stereo channels
4 XLR inputs (ch 1-4)
6 1/4" line inputs
Stereo RCA inputs
Stereo line inputs
Class D power amp (150W + 150W)
24-bit digital reverb
Mic stand mountable with BMS10A adapter
Speaker enclosure accessory compartment
Includes power cable and speaker cable.

How about that? Would that work for my band?
not enough inputs if you plan on DI'ing or Micing the guitars or 'bone
i thought i had magic fingers once, and had uncovered the fountain of love.

turns out my girlfriend was just peeing on me.
at least 5 channels with xlr inputs and mic preamps.i suggest (though it might be out of your price range) a Mackie 1404 VLZ-3. its a great mixer, though it isnt powered.
i thought i had magic fingers once, and had uncovered the fountain of love.

turns out my girlfriend was just peeing on me.
Well you need something with at least 8 XLR inputs. If your miking drums your talking AT THE VERY LEAST 4 more XLR inputs. That will expensive, and probably not under $400
neptune1988 i hate to be the bearer of bad news but you are going to have a hard time just getting enough mics for $400 to do all that. Let alone the cables, speakers, stands. mixer, amp, etc. This is what i would recommend to have all that miced up... (3 guitars, drums, trombone, vocals)

2 of these
http://ssl3.adhost.com/americanmusic/merchant.cfm?step=4&pid=34702

one of these
http://www.americanmusical.com/item.aspx?i=MAC%20SWA1801&src=D0407FG0HAMS0000MAC%20SWA1801

and one of these
http://www.music123.com/Mackie-CFX16-mkII-Mixer-634272-i1153583.Music123

Then you are going to need about $600 worth of cables, prolly $800 worth of (cheaper) mics, another $100 in stands if you can stand cheap ones, and then search around craigslist and ebay for used cheap monitors and a amp to power them for another $500. Oh yeah and about $100 each for the stands that will keep your $900 a piece speakers from falling over.

Moral of the story is dont even bother trying to buy your own PA unless you are going to be using it every weekend doing shows and making money with it. Most anyplace you play will have there own PA though and all the equipment you need. If they dont, you can just rent one for $100-$250. Or better yet hire a soundman that has all of the above and rents his services on the weekends. You dont want to be lugging around all that stuff anyway. It sucks.

For practices and small shows, you dont need to mic the guitars. You certainly dont need to mic the drums. Im not sure how loud a trombone is but im guessing its loud enough that you dont need to mic it during practices. That just leaves the vocals. Get a small 4 channel PA and then 4 cheap mics and use it just for singing. If you are going to do a show and you really need the trombone to be louder just put one of those 4 mics in front of it. Once you get into micing the bass and drums you are getting into some serious sound reinforcement and serious $$$. If you try micing bass and drums into a underpowered PA it will sound like crap at best, worst case is you could damage the equipment. You could prolly get a pretty decent PA and maybe even the mics as a package used for $400. Keep an eye on craigslist.com stuff like that pops up all the time.

Live near this guy?
http://austin.craigslist.org/msg/374583559.html