i am changing my strings and when I start to tighten the string it just lifts the string peg thing out, why wont it stay?
i have that same problem. first pull up the string all the way against the peg and then push the peg down as much as possible. then after tightening again it usually works for me. if not since i have a crappy acoustic i get mad and band the peg down with a rubber mallet.
Quote by riffmasterjosh
i have that same problem. first pull up the string all the way against the peg and then push the peg down as much as possible. then after tightening again it usually works for me. if not since i have a crappy acoustic i get mad and band the peg down with a rubber mallet.

^Umm, yea, whatever.
xmacattack18, what your doing wrong is not seating the ball end of the string in the right spot. You've got it hanging up on the bottom end of the bridge pin, so when you try to tighten up the string, it lifts the pin up and out. Loosen that string(actually, I'd do this with all of them if I were you, more than one could be wrong) and take out the pin and the the string. Give the string a little kink just where the ball end is, so it's sort of like a little hook. Slide it back down, then slip the pin in, making sure the string sits in the slot in the pin, if it's that type. Pressing down on the pin, pull up on the string. The ball end needs to be resting up against the bridge plate on the inside of the guitar, not on the end of the pin. Try that.
Rubber mallet? Fuget about it!
Quote by riffmasterjosh
if not since i have a crappy acoustic i get mad and band the peg down with a rubber mallet.

that's a great way to ruin the bridge/top of your guitar.
yeah kinda figured it but i mean its my first acoustic and it cost 100 dollars. i still don't exactly have the stringing down so yeah i mean when i get a better acoustic i definately won't even think about using a mallet and beating up the acoustic.
If bending the string at the ball end doesnt work, you could have a friend just hold down the bridge pin until you get the string tight enough the tension of the string makes it rest against the bridge plate. Iono just worked for me.