Page 1 of 2
Ok, before flames or w/e start burning my ass, here goes.

I know both these games are coming out. I'm not asking anyone for opinions as to which I should get. This is more of, which do you think will come out on top, and why, etc.

I like both of these games and will by them in the future.

I also know that there are people that think these games suck. Well, then don't comment on here. You'll waste valuable time, and you'll make yourself look more like the ignorant, idiotic bitch/bastard that you already are.

Anyhow, let's get this on.

Alright, I've been a fan of Guitar Hero since the first one...ace of a track-list, not too good on controls. #dos, had some bad ass songs, even better controls. I hear the Xbox360 lets you download the olds ones from the first, and play them with the GH2 controls...I want to invest in that. And, as a lot of people know, Slash is going to be in GH3 as a boss...sweet. And a song from Queens of the Stone Age, Smashing Pumpkins, and Tenacious D (not my fave song, but ok) don't hurt either. The new multiplayer is going to be kinda fun, since it has little powerups and powerdowns like broken string, etc.

BUT...Rock Band has drums, guitar, and vocals...all of which can be played (bass is included with the guitar thing). You can have your own effects to the songs by moving the pickup selector on the guitar (where the pickup selector is on a regular guitar, that's the effect selector for Rock Band on the controller). The track list is amazing so far. The drums are going to be an insanely koo mix to the deal. The vocals, ok, koo.

Here's the killer though. Nearly everyone here is a Metallica fan. And I know for a fact people here have been saying, "if they don't put Metallica on GH3, I will be so pissed *___insert arrogant statement here____*. Well, you can't exactly get the rights from a band that big, right? Too bad for Guitar Hero 3. But Rock Band pulled it off. Its announced that Rock Band will have the original master track for "Enter Sandman"...I am not f*cking sh*tting you fans out there of Metallica.

So, its going to be an epic fight, no? I'm banking on Rock Band now...but I'll get both anyhow.

What do you, the reader/forum go'er, do now? Post opinions on the games, which you think will rock, any info. you think or know is right, etc. Just post away!

PS. here are the tracks for the diff. games

Rock Band so far (on 7/17/07 according to Wiki)
also, Metallica fans, rejoice at the tidbit about downloadable content

* "(Don't Fear) The Reaper" - Blue Öyster Cult
* "Enter Sandman" - Metallica
* "Go with the Flow" - Queens of the Stone Age
* "In Bloom" - Nirvana
* "Learn To Fly" - Foo Fighters
* "Main Offender" - The Hives
* "Mississippi Queen" - Mountain
* "Paranoid" - Black Sabbath
* "Reptilia" - The Strokes
* "Rockaway Beach" - The Ramones
* "Say It Ain't So" - Weezer
* "Suffragette City" - David Bowie
* "Tom Sawyer" - Rush
* "Vasoline" - Stone Temple Pilots
* "Wanted Dead or Alive" - Bon Jovi
* "Won't Get Fooled Again" - The Who

Downloadable content

Additionally, the game will support downloadable tracks, including full albums; the first of these will be Who's Next by The Who, which will be made available shortly after the game's release. Other Metallica tracks will be made available for download, as well.

Every subsequent week after Rock Band's release, there will be new downloadable content.

Downloadable content will consist of the following:

* Who's Next - The Who

Guitar Hero 3: Legends of Rock (somewhat repetitive in this one)

* "Barracuda" - Heart
* "Cherub Rock" - Smashing Pumpkins
* "Cult of Personality" - Living Colour
* "Even Flow" - Pearl Jam
* "Knights of Cydonia" - Muse
* "Lay Down" - Priestess
* "The Metal" - Tenacious D
* "My Name Is Jonas" - Weezer
* "Paint It, Black" - The Rolling Stones
* "Rock and Roll All Nite" - Kiss
* "Rock You Like a Hurricane" - Scorpions[1]
* "Sabotage" - Beastie Boys
* "School's Out" - Alice Cooper
* "She Builds Quick Machines" - Velvet Revolver[23]
* "Slow Ride" - Foghat
* "Welcome to the Jungle" - Guns N' Roses[24]

In addition, bands confirmed to be contributing to the game include:

* Queens of the Stone Age[9][25]
* Another song by Velvet Revolver from Libertad[10][23]

Concerning other bands, Huang also stated in an interview, "We've got a lot of songs and artists still that we would love to have. In particular, we've been trying to get Metallica, AC/DC, and Led Zeppelin. So hopefully sometime in the near future, my wish and everybody's wish will come true and we can get some of their music in the game."[26]

The Living Colour track, "Cult of Personality" was rerecorded (with a new guitar solo) by the band after the master track could not be located.[27]

Lead developer Alan Flores states in a GameSpot interview that there will be "over 70 songs", (half of them master recordings) on the final soundtrack for the game.

ps2. If anyone wants to know which songs are master tracks, just check the Wiki's for each.
Sgt. Major--UG 7-string Legion

Guitars:
ESP/ltd. Viper-400 (see-thru black cherry rules)
Schecter Revenger 7
Washburn E/A 9 Festival
Ibanez Gio

Gear:
Peavey 6505+ head and XXX cab
BOSS GT-10
Fender 212R amp
Mesa/Boogie V-Twin
i think gh3 will sell more if only because it's cheaper

but rock band will be the better game
Quote by Kensai

It's the pit; nelson mandela could make a thread urging everyone to do an effort towards reducing apartheid politics in some countries and everyone would post a photoshop of him with a melon hat.
Go with Rock Band. Bit more expensive... but it looks way more fun. Plus the music is going to be better IMO.
Gear:

Ibanez SAS36FM
Ovation Acoustic
Classical Guitar
Amplitube 3 running into a PA
Guitar Hero 3= 70$ for awesome
Rock Band= 200+$ for awesome, but can be paid individually.

Either way, it looks like you're still buying pure awesome! But still, no Stairway! Denied!

(Heh, they still haven't topped the original Guitar Hero track list)
Rock Band. No questions.

When I first heard about it I had a raging orgasm and I fell out a window from a three story building and broke both my legs. And through all the pain, I was still excited as all hell.
I'm a person.
Mississippi Queen. Rock Band pwns just because of that.
If morning's a bitch with open arms, night's a girl who's gone too far.

OMGWTFBBQ
i think GH3 will sell more copies at first because of the name but rock band will end up being a better game.
Co founder and fifth member of the "I watched The cptncacklefanny Soap Opera" club. pm Theplague925 or PapaSmurph to join.
I'm getting them both. All you need for Rock Band is the guitar controller, so you don't have to go and buy all the extra stuff. I'm incredibly pumped that this year I will have twice as much guitar hero.
Go get your shovel.
Ehh, I ever since I got back into playing guitar, Guitar Hero just isn't really fun anymore. Rock Band just seems like too much money imo, that is if you're planning to buy all the instruments for it. Why waste $300 on stuff that isn't really even real, it's not like you'll get any monetary return on that investment.
Breedlove Studio D25/SM Acoustic
Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/ EMGs
B-52 AT-212 Tube Amp
MXR 10 Band EQ
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
With Rock Band... You'll have internet bands. That seems pretty cool. Plus it's more than just guitar! Who wouldn't love that?
I thought "Welcome to The Jungle" was for Rock Band? Since they did do a video demo'ing that song.......
Guitar:
Jackson DK2T Dinky
Schecter Damien 6
Ibanez ARC100-BS w/ Seymour Duncan JB
Amp:
Roland Cube 30x
Quote by bananaboy
Guitar Hero 3. Knights of Cydonia.

/thread

lol, I was pretty excited when I saw that too

...the only thing about Rock Band is I think they might be taking on too much at once, cause it's either gonna be great or suck, there is no middle ground for them... hope it's good though
Gear:
Ibanez JS100
03 Squier Strat
1980 Ovation Matrix Accoustic
Peavey Valveking 112
Washburn T-14 Taurus (Bass)
SWR Working Pro 100 watt bass amp
I have too much of a life for Rock Band.. plus it would seem awkward playing Rock Band with my real band.
Random Metal-X fact:

Metal-X now sponsors: Blood Culprit!

"Ass Fuckingly Loud"

\m/^_^\m/ New Songs Up!!! \m/^_^\m/
rock band seems to allow more creativity and real talent...its track listing kicks gh3's ass too. Im personally am gonna go with rock band...especially since it looks like they will be really focusing on releasing official download able content.

however...most of the potential interested general public prolly doesn't even know about rock band yet...its gonna need some serious tv advertising to compete with the name that guitar hero has made for itself.
As of right now, Rock Band looks like it's got the better songs (in my opinion at least), but it really depends on how much the stuff for it costs.

Obviously you can buy just one part, but that kind of kills the whole "party game" part of it.

Meh, we'll see when they come out.
definitely gh3, knights of cydonia, cherub rock, paint it black, and sabotage. that'll be awesome
Quote by Metal-X
I have too much of a life for Rock Band.. plus it would seem awkward playing Rock Band with my real band.

but thats what makes it fun

and I'll go with rock band, since harmonix are no longer invloved with the guitar hero series after the 80s edition, im going with rock band, but ill still love both,

p.s. check out harmonix's earlier games, amplitude and frequency, you'll see where the guitar hero playing style came from, and amp and freq are better ^_^
Quote by raidernixon

however...most of the potential interested general public prolly doesn't even know about rock band yet...its gonna need some serious tv advertising to compete with the name that guitar hero has made for itself.

exactly about the advertising
Co founder and fifth member of the "I watched The cptncacklefanny Soap Opera" club. pm Theplague925 or PapaSmurph to join.
Quote by ozzy102691
exactly about the advertising

well harmonix are now owned by mtv, which is why they can get master tracks and such, so I think they have a pretty good outlet to advertise on
Quote by zigslip
but thats what makes it fun

and I'll go with rock band, since harmonix are no longer invloved with the guitar hero series after the 80s edition, im going with rock band, but ill still love both,

p.s. check out harmonix's earlier games, amplitude and frequency, you'll see where the guitar hero playing style came from, and amp and freq are better ^_^

Yeah, but they're not that kind of people....

I always have tried to find Amplitude, but I can never find it.
Random Metal-X fact:

"Ass Fuckingly Loud"

they are starting to get kinda hard to find, im lucky to have first release copies of it, been there with freq and amp since the start
Quote by Shor-T Zero
I also know that there are people that think these games suck. Well, then don't comment on here. You'll waste valuable time, and you'll make yourself look more like the ignorant, idiotic bitch/bastard that you already are.
Yes, because anyone who dares criticize these two heavenly video games are undoubtedly ignorant and idiotic bastards.

Say whatever you want, but playing real instruments seems a hell of a lot more productive than investing time and energy into artificial "covers".

But hey, don't listen to me. After all, anyone who criticizes video games has got to be ignorant.
Quote by bananaboy

/thread

+1
Quote by Killian5-0
I was looking at a friend of mines baby that was just born and I said "He's younger than me"

Quote by Rocker_geek
nexteyenate you win
Linux
Quote by thedude051
Dude, you get to boss battle Slash in Guitar Hero 3. Now that is pretty sick.

Why not just battle someone formidable for a boss. Such as Satch of Vai.

OMGWTFBBQ
Quote by zigslip
they are starting to get kinda hard to find, im lucky to have first release copies of it, been there with freq and amp since the start

Yeah, but if I find it then I will see it everywhere.

Happened with GitarooMan, REZ, and Disgaea.
Random Metal-X fact:

"Ass Fuckingly Loud"

Quote by Bayonetwork

Wait...what? Oh, ok. I get it, your dumb. Just because its not fast you can't comprehend and appreciate it. Maybe you'll be smart in the near future.
Be cool.
Guitar Hero is good for quick fun, and I totally understand why people like it, but whenever I play it I only kick myself for not playing real guitar. Because I can play pretty much any song I want on real guitar, and it's a lot more fun. But if my friend is playing it I'll jam on 2-player with him.
Now Rock Band goes too far in my opinion. If you want to spend that much money, why not just buy a real guitar? That is a lot of money to spend for a better experience to be had for free. But I really love the song list for Rock Band.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by thedude051
Wait...what? Oh, ok. I get it, your dumb. Just because its not fast you can't comprehend and appreciate it. Maybe you'll be smart in the near future.

Ok, you want someone who's not fast. Try Robin Trower. Much better than Slash in every way.

OMGWTFBBQ
Quote by Bayonetwork
Ok, you want someone who's not fast. Try Robin Trower. Much better than Slash in every way.

In guitar playing, there is no definition of better or worse. Especially when it involves professional guitarists and their playing styles. Slash is a good addition to the game and I am not going to waste my time arguing with you. If you think one guitarist is "better than another for said reason" I am just arguing with a fool. Have a nice day.
Be cool.
Quote by Bayonetwork

They probably will have someone like them, there are supposed to be 3 boss battles in the game, so with Slash that still leaves 2 other people that have yet to be named. I'm liking the idea of a final battle against Petrucci or Vai or someone.
Go get your shovel.
Quote by SynGates7X
They probably will have someone like them, there are supposed to be 3 boss battles in the game, so with Slash that still leaves 2 other people that have yet to be named. I'm liking the idea of a final battle against Petrucci or Vai or someone.

For some reason, i could really see the last boss battle being against Buckethead. He did contribute to the last game.....
Be cool.
Quote by yawn
Yes, because anyone who dares criticize these two heavenly video games are undoubtedly ignorant and idiotic bastards.

Say whatever you want, but playing real instruments seems a hell of a lot more productive than investing time and energy into artificial "covers".

But hey, don't listen to me. After all, anyone who criticizes video games has got to be ignorant.

ok, what I don't think you understand about what I was saying, is that I've seen people that completely trashed the games, only because it is not a real instrument. That's the only thing I mean. If you want to say the games suck, go for it, just have a reason. The people here that are saying positive things, they have a reason. That's the only thing, just have a damn reason. As far as I care, these aren't heavenly games, but as far as music games go, they are pretty damn good. Is playing real instruments better, hell yeah, if you want to increase your skill and potential. If you want a game (which is what it is intended to be in the first place) that is fun to play with people, and to where you can rock out on songs, then go for it there. Besides, I actually can move my fingers faster on the guitar because of Guitar Hero. Maybe not just because of it, but I know that it did help a bit. The games are a creative and fun party game outlet, not the next "Virtual Instrument". If you want that, try shoving a guitar into a computer and see what happens. Next time, read and think before trying to be a sarcastic genius quoting me. These games aren't the heavenly orgasm of all time and they can't compete with real instruments, but they are damn fun. Then again, that's my opinion, yawn.

Enough of that though. For everyone wondering about price, I think I heard Rock band, with one drum kit, one guitar, one mic. and the game, will be about $199 in the US. Is that actually true? I wish, since it seems like it would be a lot more expensive. But I think that's the best thing, if you know some friends that want to play it, everyone just chips in. I think that's what I'm going to be doing anyways. If not, just getting the guitar and game, then saving for the drums (I would suck horribly at vocals, probably).

Also, in case no one has seen it, there are about 2 or 3 vids online at ign.com of people playing Rock Band. One is at the recent E3 event, where the lead person of the Xbox division of Microsoft, Peter Moore (he got a fake tat of Halo 2's release date...he's kinda weird, but he's trying), and some people from Harmonix are playing a song from "The Hives" (I think, I haven't watched the video in a while). The gameplay seems really easy to read. The vocals go on top, with the words and pitches for the words there too. The guitar goes on the left, the bass on the right, and the drums in the middle. The bass drum beats are symbolized by a line across the middle track. It seems weird, but I'm sure you can get used to it.

In Rock Band, you can also make your own characters (you and your band). Seems pretty koo.
Sgt. Major--UG 7-string Legion

Guitars:
ESP/ltd. Viper-400 (see-thru black cherry rules)
Schecter Revenger 7
Washburn E/A 9 Festival
Ibanez Gio

Gear:
Peavey 6505+ head and XXX cab
BOSS GT-10
Fender 212R amp
Mesa/Boogie V-Twin
Quote by bananaboy

/thread

Seriously.