I was recently at a gig, and I noticed a metal bar over the bridge pick-up, and over the strings, of the bassist of a band. I didn't get a chance to ask him about it, so I decided to investigate about it here. I had no idea what to search for, so if you could help as to what it is, and what it's for, that'd be great.
did it look like this?

It's a pickup cover. Some older fender basses have it. It's supposed to eliminate string rattle or protect the pickups or something. Rickenbakers have them too.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Rickenbacker basses always have those.

Sorry for not helping...

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Marcus Miller Jazz Basses also have them. There supposedly said to increase sustain
He probably had pickup covers on his bass. They put them on there thinking it would help with something about the pickups with the strings or something. All in all though, it's just for looks and doesn't really effect anything.
Bass is my life.
Quote by SkaBass
Marcus Miller Jazz Basses also have them. There supposedly said to increase sustain

they are for a retro look, 'cause the old Fenders had them. they look cool, but really get in the way. the players back then, quickly took them off. the bridge cover is called the "ashtray", because thats what they used it for, lol. on a Rickenbacker, thats a horseshoe pick-up, different "old school" technology.

good looking bass!
Last edited by 83lespaulstudio at Jul 17, 2007,