How much does equipment (i.e. amps, distortion pedals, etc) have to do with getting good sound? I'm trying to do hammer-ons and pull-offs on my guitar during leads with my gain cranked up to 8 on my Fender 25R amp (it cost about $140, just a basic one). But my hammer ons/pull offs always sound too soft and choppy, not clear and fluid. I can't even get the gain on my amp up to 8 without it screeching with feedback. I tried using a Boss DS-2 distortion pedal, but it hasn't helped my leads sound any better.

So my question is, do I need better equipment? Cuz I don't think I suck as a player, I'm not that bad and I could prolly get a lot better with a lot of practice. But the sounds coming from my equipment are mediocre at best. How important is equipment to playing lead guitar? What kind of equipment do I need to make my hammer ons and pull offs sounds clear, loud, crunchy, and fluid? (Think Angus Young from AC/DC).

Thanks for your help!

(btw, I own a Fender JagStang).
its probably not the equipment for the poor hammer on quality because it makes no difference to the amp whether you are plucking picking or doing hammerons you just need to get the good sound out of your guitar
Christian
Quote by mellowyellow729
its probably not the equipment for the poor hammer on quality because it makes no difference to the amp whether you are plucking picking or doing hammerons you just need to get the good sound out of your guitar

+1
Work on finger strength.
i think you just need to practice on doing the hammer on's and pull off's a lot more clearly. unless your heavily, heavily distorting everything then they may become unclear or too muffled but not sloppy. sloppiness is all on the player.
Quote by Mad Marius
Because there's no point in being on the Internet of you're not gonna act like an arrogant prick.
Quote by mellowyellow729

true. play a riff with ho's and po's then play it on a gibson les paul and you will see,