Hi,

Apparently Guitar Center will do this for $80, and I have been considering doing this. I was just wondering what the drawbacks are to doing this, if any? Any information is appreciated.

Thanks.
u mean to acoustic electric? uh... ur resale price would go down... but that's about it.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
u mean to acoustic electric?

Right, that's what I meant. So there's no other real drawbacks other than resale price?
I wouldn't let guitar center do it for you

A good aftermarket pickup costs anywhere from $60 to $200. A lot of them don't change the acoustic tone of the guitar at all. Most of them you can install yourself with no problem. The ones that do need to be installed by a pro are not installed by the "techs" at guitar center.
Not taking any online orders.
The drawback would be the loss of tone (and possibly volume) due to cutting a hole in your guitar for the preamp.
Quote by MavataR
thats one hell of a find. Did it have change in the case? cause you probably stole it from a busker who was off taking a piss.

^good aftermarket pickups don't requier you to cut a hole in your guitar for the preamp.
Not taking any online orders.
I kind of want them to do it for me though because I would have no idea how to do it myself.
Sounds like it could be a good idea. I might do it if my guitar was a cut-out, but I'd only want an acoustic electric if I could play past the 14th or 15th fret :P
Gear
Ibanez RGR521EX1
Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500R
Roland Cube
Spider II 30
-Crybaby GCB-95
-SansAmp GT2
-Boss DS-1, RC-2