anybody played one? are they any good?

EDIT: i would be playing mostly rock/metal
Last edited by lp_std at Jul 18, 2007,
I owned one. It is in pieces under my bed. Do you know why? Because it sucked so bad, that I thought I might smash my guitar if I accidently plugged my guitar into it and heard the horrible tones being spewed from this junk.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
i have a gorilla amp its a 30 watt from 1987 it old it also has some thing called a tube stack just twist the knob and you have tube amp style sound. sounds really good.
^ Have you ever played another amp? The tube stack is more like a knob that adjusts how much I want to throw up. and die before I hear any more noise. If you want to pick up radio stations using your guitar and amp, it is perfect though.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

CORT noob: +1.

Please don't buy that amp. It is truely a piece of crap. I plugged one in one time, and I almost wanted to blow my brains out just from hearing it.

Edit: TS, what is your price range?
A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music

Schecter Gryphon
Vox AD30VT

Lost my tubergity to a Valveking.
yes i have played threw other amps im not saying this amp is best but it does sound good mine dosent pick up radio stations or anything like that what year model was your gorilla amp?
Quote by whitebeast666

Edit: TS, what is your price range?

anything under $450AUS. mainly for home use and some jamming
Quote by strat_this22
yes i have played threw other amps im not saying this amp is best but it does sound good mine dosent pick up radio stations or anything like that what year model was your gorilla amp?

I got it when I started playing electric, so maybe 03 or 04. I would go tube if I was this guy, he has a large budget, and Gorillas are only like $100.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Quote by CORT noob
I owned one. It is in pieces under my bed. Do you know why? Because it sucked so bad, that I thought I might smash my guitar if I accidently plugged my guitar into it and heard the horrible tones being spewed from this junk.
Quote by CORT noob
^ Have you ever played another amp? The tube stack is more like a knob that adjusts how much I want to throw up. and die before I hear any more noise. If you want to pick up radio stations using your guitar and amp, it is perfect though.
C'mon man, don't sugar-coat it. Tell us how you really feel.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
I've played a 10 watt before, a few times, they're alright the one i played was a tube, they do the trick if your just using it as a practice amp but if you're looking for anything more than a practice amp i'd look past this one..
Cancer.
$450AU eh? With that sort of budget, you don't have a lot of choices. There's the Epiphone Valve Jr (around $250), Valvetronix/Cube 30 (I've seen them going for around the $450 mark) or the Ibanez Valbee.
If you don't want the Valbee (it's only 5w tube and mainly a practice amp), go with the Valvetronix. It should be able to do what you want it to.

Quote by jesus-squared
I've played a 10 watt before, a few times, they're alright the one i played was a tube, they do the trick if your just using it as a practice amp but if you're looking for anything more than a practice amp i'd look past this one..

To my knowledge, there isn't a Gorilla amp that's anything close to tube.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Mattias Eklundh

But other than that, I haven't much good of Gorilla.
Quote by Jesus Himself Christ
You know, you're one pretty cool guy, Kylster.

Please click this and critique some little ditties I done madeified myselfins!
Quote by CORT noob

I actually have a homemade bass fuzz pedal that picks up local radio. I was having a jam with some guys out near my town's airport, it picked up the air force radio towers frequecy. Awesome ****.
Gorilla amps are for chimps , you can get a much nicer combo for that money !
Gibson SG spesial

Marshall 1987X MKII Head
Genz Benz El diablo 100 Head
Genz Benz Gflex 212 cab.

Korg AX1500G multi effects pedal
you could and a hughes & kettner matrix 100 combo... play it for 3 years now and it sounds much better than most of the low budget tube amps... its really loud enough for gigs and its got a nice metal distortion!
If you have the chance to try it out do it!
think its about 350 AUS
Guitars/Basses:
-Ibanez SZ-520QM (D-Sonic/Air Norton)
-Ibanez RG-370
-ESP ltd B-55
Amps/Effects/Rig:
-Engl E530 + 930/60 Poweramp
-POD X3L
In the new guitar player with satch on the cover he said he recorded some of the tracks on surfing with the alien with a gorilla
I used to have a battery-powered Gorilla that sounded pretty good for an amp with a 3" speaker run by 6 C batteries. That wouldn't make me go out an buy a larger one however. They are probably not the greatest. They may not sound any worse than any other solid-state. I don't know. You have enough money for a small tube combo.
Just buy yourself a nice MultiFX unit and play thru your stereo.

I've got an 80's Gorilla GC25 and it's good for noodling with headphones, play'n quiet, or plugging into your cigarette lighter in your car.
Quote by Kylster
Mattias Eklundh

But other than that, I haven't much good of Gorilla.

I have the GG-25, the exact same one as him. Let me tell you now, IT SOUNDS NOTHING LIKE THAT. He is obviously faking using that amp, or he has so many effects out in front of it. But, he still doesn't sound that good tone-wise.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

The gorilla I owned HAD to be one of the worst amps in existence, terrible in EVERY way, it also cut out alot so it was incredibly unrealiable, I would stray frm these amps if I were you. However there might be good gorilla amps out there in a high price range/ try it out before you buy any amp and you'll be set.
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
Mesa Traditional cab w/ v30's
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded