i heard that marty friedman made up some of his own scales so i was messing around and put together my own little scale B C E F# G A# B. Its problably already got a name but thats not what i really want to know. i want to know how to tell wether this scale is major or minor.
Quote by Gigatiran
It's really not that hard... almost all women are sluts.

Quote by Twist of fate
do u rlly think a girl will come to school in the morning and interrupt ur conversation screaming "Hey i nailed my own poonaner last nite and came like a hurricane YEA BABII"
You've excluded a third so it's neither major nor minor.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
so does that mean i could use it over b major and b minor progressions?
Quote by Gigatiran

Quote by Twist of fate
do u rlly think a girl will come to school in the morning and interrupt ur conversation screaming "Hey i nailed my own poonaner last nite and came like a hurricane YEA BABII"
why would you want to use b major and b minor progression, unless they're not in the same song. cos otherwise, it'd sound like ass
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
the interval forumular would be :

B C E F# G A# B.
R b2 4 #4 b6 7 R

you could rearrange starting on the E =
E F# G A# B C = R 2 b3 #4 5 b6
which would be Minor type scale or from the C
C E F# G A# B C = R 3 #4 5 #6 7 R . (#6 more likely a b7 !! )
more major
Quote by mcw00t
why would you want to use b major and b minor progression, unless they're not in the same song. cos otherwise, it'd sound like ass

yeh i mean seperate progressions.
Quote by Gigatiran

Quote by Twist of fate
damien, B - F# is a perfect fifth.

And as for using it over chord progressions, look to see if the notes match up or if any clash.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Is creating your own scales even possible ? I mean, in my opinion, it would just be mixing parts or existing scales together and therefore, sound very weird.
Quote by mcw00t

Wrong. Not very familiar with voice leading are we?
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Quote by rp19
Is creating your own scales even possible ? I mean, in my opinion, it would just be mixing parts or existing scales together and therefore, sound very weird.

not really...
I'm always writing riffs and melodies without a thought on using scales or anything, but after analysing it I always find a scale it fits into.

Anyway, usefull scales have only semitone steps, tone steps and tone and a half steps. I remember Ænimus Prime telling me that there are only 266 of these scales, and through further research, most of them are already named and wouldn't be your own

Still good luck trying
One thing- you're looking at creating your own scale and are wondering whether it's major or minor? Doesn't work that way.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
B C E F# G A# B

well it's hard to say whether its minor or major because it has no third. However it does have a minor 6th and a minor 2nd, and i'd say it was generally more minor sounding.

If you were going to "fill in gap" and add a 3rd - If you added a minor 3rd (D scale would be simliar to the phrgian but with a raised 7th. If you added a major 3rd (D#) you would have the phrygian dominant but with a raised 7th. I don't know what you'd call these scales.

And just another word - you wouldn't notice it playing the sacle is it is written a above but you have a grup of chromatic notes (a#, b, c) this could sound ugly, or it could sound cool. be careful how you use it.
That scale has the same notes as B Double Harmonic Major.... but B Double Harmonic Major has a D# in it...

So, I guess we could call it B Double Harmonic Major and just assume that you avoided the D# in whatever you played!
Note: Sorry if my grammar and/or vocabulary isn't very good, English is my 2nd language!

Quote by Resiliance
you show me yours and I'll show you mine!

If you're wondering where I've been gone, click here!
Last edited by hurlyz at Jul 19, 2007,
as far as I know, there are only 12 notes to chose from, so I'm pretty sure any possible scale has already been invented

Plus youd have to chose whether or not the scale is major or minor, so the actual possible number of scales is not that huge, probably no more than 50-60. If I'mw rong I'm sorry.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by davo_333
i heard that marty friedman made up some of his own scales so i was messing around and put together my own little scale B C E F# G A# B. Its problably already got a name but thats not what i really want to know. i want to know how to tell wether this scale is major or minor.

It doesnt have a 3rd, so it isnt major or minor.

The formula is 1 b2 4 5 b6 7. It looks like double-harmonic without a 3rd. If you add a major 3rd, it becomes double-harmonic, if you add a minor 3rd, its harmonic minor with a flat 2, or phrygian with a major 7, or locrian with a maj7 and a #5. I probably missed something that makes a little more sense, so hopefully somebody else can tell you
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

Quote by SG Man Forever
as far as I know, there are only 12 notes to chose from, so I'm pretty sure any possible scale has already been invented

Plus youd have to chose whether or not the scale is major or minor, so the actual possible number of scales is not that huge, probably no more than 50-60. If I'mw rong I'm sorry.

50-60?
more like 5000-6000, but most of these are unusable and contain double tone steps.
Ænimus Prime told me there were 266 usable scales which only contain semitone, tone and tone and a half steps.
But even if, although most have names, not many of these scales have ever been used.
And your forgetting about microtonal
Last edited by demonofthenight at Jul 20, 2007,
Quote by demonofthenight
Aenius prime told me there were 266 usable scales which only contain semitone, tone and tone and a half steps.

Haha I remember that!
Yeah, 266 7-note scales with only semitone, tone or tone-and-a-half steps. That was fun (in a maths/music nerd sort of way)!
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin