http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRvrd8X4vr4&mode=related&search=

This video is pretty damn good. It helped me perfect my barre chords to make the constantly ring. Basic tips

* when doing 6 string barre place the bone jutting out of your first finger below the first knuckle between the 1st and 2nd (E and B) string, or for 5 string just below the 1st string

* Grip behind the neck with your thumbs fingertip to avoid stress.

* Place barre as close to fret while still being behind the fret.

* Don't bend keep straight

I found some steps on another site may be helpful

1. place finger over strings lightly

2. strum the notes

3. continue to increase the pressure of your barre until all notes sound clearly to get the idea of the pressure required

I personally find the best position for the thumb is just in the middle of the neck between the fret closest to the bar and the next fret along.

Pretty obvious I guess but this may help someone.
when doing 6 string barre place the bone jutting out of your first finger below the first knuckle between the 1st and 2nd (E and B) string, or for 5 string just below the 1st string

I can't view the video cause of slow net, but can ypu explain to me this?

So are you saying, if I hold my finger pointing to the cieling, going upwards we got:
1. Knuckle to punch people
2. Knuckle you are referring to (I think)
3. the other

So you are saying use number 2 to press down on E and B, I'll try that later on, if its what it is.
Are you reelin' in the years?
I think place it inbetween E and B I think your got it right I looked up the medical name it is called the Proximal interphalangeal joints (if that helps, you can search it on google and get a bunch of images. Hope that helps, good luck.
Yeah I done it I got it all 6 notes at the first fret. So sucked in all those people who called me a noob on the "bring back the zero fret" post. I can now play F, F7, Fm. Once your got that I think your set as far as technique, F7 was a bitch though. Now just to speed it up.

Here's a bit more advice try up above, and that should help. But I feel it is all a matter of postition people say you don't have the strength all the time and that just give it time and you'll get better was wrong in my situation. I was at the point where I was trying in my mind to pull off the neck of the guitar and when you are trying that hard and not in a vegative state and still getting a dead note, somethings wrong with position. My finger slightly higher than posted and I got F7 with much less work (at least it feels that way my finger could of just gone numb). I don't know why people keep metioning strength like its the only factor, POSITION IS IMPORTANT. My problem is my fingers are quite fat inbetween the joints so I had the joints fretting some and then the fat at a slightly higher level just muting the strings. Here is my other tip as soon as you get the sound with less effort note the position of your fingers (don't have to write it down just in your mind), don't trust yourself to jump back to it. GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!! Plus once you have it keep checking, I think I had it ages ago but then in the haste of fast chord changes I got slack.
Quote by oldfartatplay
I can't view the video cause of slow net, but can ypu explain to me this?

So are you saying, if I hold my finger pointing to the cieling, going upwards we got:
1. Knuckle to punch people
2. Knuckle you are referring to (I think)
3. the other

So you are saying use number 2 to press down on E and B, I'll try that later on, if its what it is.

the middle knuckle on your index finger
Hey Oldfartatplay you in Bankstown eh? , I'm in Winmalee 2777 (Blue Mtns)

pnnorton So sucked in all those people who called me a noob on the "bring back the zero fret" post.
nothing wrong with zero fret , i tried to post in the other thread & it was closed.

My zero fret Egmond. I have a zero fret banjo as well.

My 'F' barre finger formation

Here is the same barre chord but without holding the thumb behind the neck, if you are thinking there is no downward pressure on the neck have a look at my fingertips.

I use this method when my hand gets tired. If you notice my wrist is straighter, you sort of let your hand hang from the wrist , while the strumming arm (approx at the elbow) holds the body of the guitar hard against your body, this makes the neck guitar unable to move & so the neck wont move when you hang your hand off your barre chord. Just remember it is all in the strumming arm.

Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!