Page 1 of 2
Just curious, what are some items that you found essential to enjoy yourself when you moved out to college? I'm trying to make a list of things that I need. So post up, what did you use a ton and what did you wish that you had but didn't have?
in september/october i'm heading off to uni too, top of my list is an electric kettle, because if all else fails and you have little money, in my expirience instant noodles are a literal lifesaver (allbeit in an ironic sort of way )
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
You don't need a kettle for uni, someone else will bring one. It'll also be wrecked by the end of the year.
Schecter C1 Classic Left Handed
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
cold beers and a 6 pack
honorary member of the lumpia lovers club

BREAK THE INDUSTRY
condoms
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
Things I recommend.........since I lived in residence for the entire duration of my undergrad.

1. Any sports equipment.....i.e cleats, shoes, softball gloves, hockey equipment, etc etc.
Alot of uni's have intermural programs and of course you want to use the gear if you have it.

2. A computer. This will be your primary means of communication between friends and family members and your primary source of entertainment. I'd die if I never had one.

3. A printer. I find that this is essential. I've saved so much money from buying a printer rather than printing at the library all the time, which costs money.

4. A cell phone or phone line.......if you can afford one. I've called my parents more than once whenever i've had problems with anything.

5. A set of "semi-formal" clothes. I think a pair of khakis or dress pants and a shirt and tie are super useful, because you never know if you're gonna get invited to an event (awards ceremony, year end formal, wine and cheese) where there is a dress code.

6. Don't bring a kettle or microwave........somebody else will have one you can mooch. If they try to mooch your printer, just say you're outta ink.

7. Buy a comfy pillow cause if a pillow is supplied, they're usually ****.

8. Towels. Make sure you have at least 3 towels to shower with or wipe **** up off the floor.

9. A good fake ID. If you're underage, you may never know when you need a booze run or want to hit up a bar or show.

That's all I can think of for now.
www.ebaumsworld.com

check out garrison acoustic guitars
more condoms and a hefty bag
Moobles

Quote by Phill-Rock
You dont wanna be in a situation where you're bending your penis and attacking it with a pick and literally wanking the guitar.

Quote by L_E_M_U_R
i agree with tenacious_lee
pete159 said pretty much everything.

An mp3 player is a must, helps drown out other peoples snoring too ;]

Also some basic first aid stuff (bandaids, antiseptic etc) you never know what might happen.
one more thing i forgot

AN ALARM CLOCK.........you will live and die by this. It will get you up from classes/naps, etc etc. Make sure that when you set this motha that you stick to the times.......I find making a schedule is something else essential. Like you'll have a class schedule, but book times for studying, guitar, working out, hanging with friends etc etc. You have to stick with it and it will surely keep you on track with your schoolwork and social life.
www.ebaumsworld.com

I was glad I had my own fridge and microwave, because my first semester i bummed off of other peoples microwaves, but sometimes its nice not to have to bother someone else, plus they aren't really that expensive.....personally for me it was my coffee/espresso maker....that ready caffeine supply made those mornings after a long night much more bearable. Also, if you are new to the area your school is in, get a map so you can figure out where everything is. If you can take your car, do it (some schools don't let freshman have cars..mine does). It is a huge hassle trying to find a ride sometimes
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
a rool or 2 of duct tape. useful stuff if you have to repair things, or stuff like that.

and some sort of minifridge. no need for a large one, but just enough to keep some beer cold all the time, and stuff you dont want others stealing.
Quote by Dave_Mc
how do those marshall handles compare tonewise to, say, mesa handles?

Owns a Blackheart Little Giant...
I actually did have my stack in my room, and four guitars, but our rooms are fairly big
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The MXR Lounge
my room next year will consist of:
2 microwaves, 2 mini fridges (one used solely for alcohol), small hdtv, ps3, gamecube, my ec1000, my acousticelectric, amp, pedal board, laptop, other basic living essentials (clothing, easy mac, cup o noodles, etc). my roommate and i are pretty set from last year.
Quote by Bloodshed
I actually did have my stack in my room, and four guitars, but our rooms are fairly big

Where did you go to uni?
Quote by Arthur Curry
It's just The Man trying to bring down us negroes.

Quote by Yakult
Just go out in a silk dressing gown and ask them if they've ever been penetrated
DO NOT BRING YOUR STACK

There are a couple of fantastic guitarists in my dorm, but none of them bring their big amps unless they're playing shows with their bands over the term. Most of the time they play unplugged or with a small practice amp and headphones. Alot of people have different study schedules/sleep schedules and music tastes.......so nobody wants to hear somebody wailing away all hours of the day. Be considerate of your fellow roommates.......if they're blasting their music, don't be afraid to tell them off........I do it all the time. A mini fridge is nice but depends if you have the money and space, another thing that is excellent is the power bar idea......there are never enough outlets in your room so a power bar or two will help a bunch.
www.ebaumsworld.com

wow this is an awesome thread i'm hoping to go to uni next year. I'm gona bookmark this or something. Watch some teen movies where they're in university or College. I remember like in Van wilder he had a golf cart and a dog with huge balls. maybe you should get a pet.
MINI FRIDGE!!!!!1 for the bedroom...
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
Quote by pete1529
DO NOT BRING YOUR STACK

But I play in a jazz band on campus, and the worship band that has a student lead worship service...plus gigging...and I'm not about to leave it in the music hall where other people can screw with it. and I live 3 1/2 hours away, so picking it up everytime i have a show is dumb. I use a practice amp in the room...i guess its more storage...But we do have like 4 guitarists on my hall, and we all have our stacks/ large amps in our room. But do be considerate of others, because they live there too.

Quote by wholovesthesun
Where did you go to uni?

Gardner-Webb University
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The MXR Lounge
One thing i just thought of is a toolbox. Who knows when you'll need to repair something or help someone else with something?

There is only one true essential when it comes to dorm rooms.

Kegerator.

Accept no substitutes.

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
You should get your own mini fridge and microwave. It's a hassle to mooch.

Also, a coffee pot is always a good thing to have, as well as a tv and dvd player, SHOWER SHOES, some form of decoration (the walls can be really depressing without it) and extra blankets and pillows: You never know who might need to crash on your floor.
Miss Scourge? PM me.

I am the mistress of ManWithoutAHat . This pleases me.
Computer, water purifier, guitar, water heater. You're set.

Quote by DeadMeadow
Is college really as hard as all the teachers and stuff let on?

I haven't taken upper division courses yet (2 quarters away..), but honestly... no.

It's perhaps harder for kids who depend on the high school-style teaching, up front and personal, hold your hand etc, but at least for me, it's very easy. If you are a good reader and have a good memory, you're set.
Originally Posted by Corwinoid
Metal doesn't hold hands, it gets head in the van before the show. Seriously.

Lube, Cucumber, Tissue, Condoms.
Breedlove Studio D25/SM Acoustic
Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/ EMGs
B-52 AT-212 Tube Amp
MXR 10 Band EQ
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Quote by DeadMeadow
Is college really as hard as all the teachers and stuff let on?

What do you mean exactly?

It is not something to be taken lightly and you do have to work hard to succeed, but I do think some people exaggerate when talking about how hard it will actually be. For example, when I was going through orientation a speaker was talking about how much work you needed to do a night and it was a bit ridiculous. I can't remember how many hours she said would be required, but it was much too high except on occasions when you are preparing for a major exam, project or something like that. If you keep up with the readings, homework and anything else that is assigned and you regularly attend class (you have to pay attention) then you should be fine. It's not that bad.

However, you should never limit yourself simply to what you are studying in class. Find other topics of interest and make sure you learn a lot on your own as well.

I don't even know if that's what you mean or not, but that's how I interpreted your question.
Miss Scourge? PM me.

I am the mistress of ManWithoutAHat . This pleases me.
Quote by Xinlitik
Computer, water purifier, guitar, water heater. You're set.

I haven't taken upper division courses yet (2 quarters away..), but honestly... no.

It's perhaps harder for kids who depend on the high school-style teaching, up front and personal, hold your hand etc, but at least for me, it's very easy. If you are a good reader and have a good memory, you're set.

K, seems like ever since first grade they have went '' in 2nd grade you guys wont make it the way you act''

They are still saying that about the grades or college to come.
Quote by maell
A massive bong.

i came into this tread to suggest this and only this,
you sir...
+1
Quote by armon77
im american but i think canada would win. they would probably lay low until everyone took each other out and then finish the last one standing off in one fell swoop. sneaky bastards.
a box fan if you dont got a/c in the dorms
Quote by -Atticus-

oh and btw how do u put a quote in ur sig??
A lot of people have some good ideas. If you can, it would be useful to get an all-in-one computer monitor that can tune in TV too so you won't need a separate TV. I wouldn't worry about not bringing a stack. They really don't take up that much floor space, unless you have some Krank super-oversized cab. You'll probably still want some way to practice quietly, like an attenuator if your amp doesn't have a headphone jack. A fold up card table might be a good idea just as a multi-purpose table.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Page 1 of 2