Ok, so my band is going on a week and a half tour around the east coast. All the venues are all PA run guitar amps and all. Now we have no idea how to set-up our amps for bass and guitar, mic wise. Is this just basically throwing a mic at the loudest point of the amp? What about bass? Drums are pretty self explanatory.

Help me please,
Jordan
not a clue! but when i go to gigs all i see is a mic strrapped to the amp, round about the middle but towards the top of it, and obviously i guess the mic connects to the venue's sound system.

sorry lol
I'm only Welsh, give me a break!!

Gear:

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Airline 2P DLX
PRS Tremonti SE
Fender Strat
Yamaha FG 450SA

Peavey ValveKing 212
Roland Cube 60
Dunlop SW95 Crybaby
Shit load of Picks
If you're playing lead.....you should have the mic towards the centre of the amp
For rhythm....point it towards any of the corners or above the centre of the amp
Bass should have it towards the centre of the amp
[IMG]http://www.sickonthebus.com/images/hell_skull_index.jpg[/IMG]
If they have a sound guy, just let him do his thing. If you have questions, ask him, but usually those guys really know what they're doing.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
usually we always have a sound guy doing everything @ the venue
they usually place the mic's infront of the speaker, and DI the bass, meaning it doesnt need a microphone
Quote by Nemesis260
police is logical. or do your duty and rape him back

GEAR:
Laney BH150
Marshall B150
Line6 Spider II 15
BOSS HM-2 Heavy Metal (80's!)
Epi SG Special
Peavey Milestone III
If you're playing lead.....you should have the mic towards the centre of the amp
For rhythm....point it towards any of the corners or above the centre of the amp
Bass should have it towards the centre of the amp

eh?

As Off-The-Heazay said, Bass usually uses DI, should the bass amp have such an output - most do. If not, just do as you would for guitar:

You simply stick a dynamic mike, most likely a shure sm57, right up against the grille, pointed at the edge of one of the speaker cones. Simple as.

I would hope, however, that most venues have a sound and roadie team.
This is what will happen mate:

- You'll get there, put your amps down and go and get a pint.
- The soundguy will walk around the stage for a bit, setting up mics on the drum kit (the most complex part of the mic'ing) and then the amps.
- Then you'll soundcheck and the soundguy will say **** like "louder on the lead" and stuff and all is done.
- You play your set.
- You sleep with attractive girls.

Simple
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
when i mic my amp, i prefer the mic placed at the midpoint of the edge & center of the speaker. It sounds too trebly when placed in the center, and not enough oomph when placed too near to the edge imo
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers