well im gettin an ibanez rg321 and i need a new amp

im into metal and distortion majorly but also like the joe satriani sound if u get me,

well my price limit is £200 maximum so about $410, im lookin to buy from an UK store so i dont get hugely charged on shipping etc

i do home practise but hope to startin a band so an amp for both wud be gd

thanks for reading this
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jul 18, 2007,
whats the difference between tube and modelling?
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
Quote by ChazBcWarlock
whats the difference between tube and modelling?
..read the stickies... you have much to learn
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
how bout an marshall mg50, or the microstack?
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
i would get two separate amps for practise and gigging..

alternatively, use the volume knob.

TS, at this stage in your playing I think you'd benefit from the tonal variation a modelling amp has. In essence they simulate the characteristics of a number of more expensive amps. That will allow you to discover the kind of sounds you like best and, in future, you'll have a much better idea of what to spend your money on should you decide to upgrade. You also get some onboard effects to play with which are an added bonus for a beginner.

I'd be inclined to recommend the Vox as I personally feel it's a little more versatile.

how bout an marshall mg50, or the microstack?

no, because they're crap
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

NO

dont even bother with an MG.

Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
That Laney looks like a good amp and a decent price.
Tube amps use vacuum tube (valves) for their preamp and power sections. These sound much better than solid state in general, especially when played at moderate or high volume.
Solid state amps use transistors. The higher priced ones generally sound pretty good. Most do not sound very good when cranked past 3 or so.
Modeling amps use transistors and IC (integrated circuit chips.) The modeling amp is designed to produce effects (phaser, autowah, chorus, etc.) and also presets that digitally simulate the sound of several different amps. These effects generally sound flat and sterile (with a few exceptions on the higher-priced end.) The amp simulations are disappointing compared to the sound of the original amp.
The only exception I have found on the lower end is the Roland Cube series.
These are my opinions based on years of experience but you need to try several amps before you buy. There are some that would disagree and may have very good reasons.
Last edited by uldhppi at Jul 18, 2007,
the link for ibanez didnt come up and listed an left handed guitar :S
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
This is almost exactly the same as what I asked a few days ago.

If you are going to get the Laney, I recommnd you go for the LC-15R instead of the normal 15. An extra £20 gets you reverb, an FX Loop and an external speaker socket, so you can effectively use it as a 15 watt all-valve head for a half-stack or a full-stack, ideal if you ever get to the point of gigging with the band you're thinking of starting (although you do not need a half/full-stack for gigs, they can just rig you up on the PA)
Quote by Felkara
Dude, you just made the most intelligent post in this entire thread. Congrats.
im thinkin of the voxx, to me it sounds likke it has more punch than the laney
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
Quote by The Overlord
This is almost exactly the same as what I asked a few days ago.

If you are going to get the Laney, I recommnd you go for the LC-15R instead of the normal 15. An extra £20 gets you reverb, an FX Loop and an external speaker socket, so you can effectively use it as a 15 watt all-valve head for a half-stack or a full-stack, ideal if you ever get to the point of gigging with the band you're thinking of starting (although you do not need a half/full-stack for gigs, they can just rig you up on the PA)

Yeah, I second that.

OK, I cannot stress this enough...GET THE LANEY

You'll be able to gig with it too without much concern. If you can push your budget to a LC-30 then do that.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by ChazBcWarlock
the link for ibanez didnt come up and listed an left handed guitar :S

Fixed

it was supposed to be a cube!

The Laney has more punch than any of them, but I honestly reckon the Vox would be a better bet. The Laney does one thing very well, the Vox does lots of things pretty well...at this stage in your playing when you're still discovering your tone and learning about amps a modeller is a good choice.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

how about the spider line 6 III 75 is tht gd compared to the voxx?
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
^not exactly. It will sound really harsh and sterile compared to it
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by ChazBcWarlock

do some searches man!! the spider is bullcrap
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by ChazBcWarlock

It's a bag of wank
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull

alternatively, use the volume knob.

TS, at this stage in your playing I think you'd benefit from the tonal variation a modelling amp has. In essence they simulate the characteristics of a number of more expensive amps. That will allow you to discover the kind of sounds you like best and, in future, you'll have a much better idea of what to spend your money on should you decide to upgrade. You also get some onboard effects to play with which are an added bonus for a beginner.

I'd be inclined to recommend the Vox as I personally feel it's a little more versatile.

no, because they're crap

dude, do you like to lug around with a heavy amp everytime if you go to practise ? i don't.
dude, do you like to lug around with a heavy amp everytime if you go to practise ? i don't
Yes I do, don't you?

Fact of the matter is £200 is barely enough to buy one amp, let alone two...given the choice of a gigging amp I could turn down and a practice amp that I can't make any louder I know which one I'd take.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by uldhppi
That Laney looks like a good amp and a decent price.
Tube amps use vacuum tube (valves) for their preamp and power sections. These sound much better than solid state in general, especially when played at moderate or high volume.
Solid state amps use transistors. The higher priced ones generally sound pretty good. Most do not sound very good when cranked past 3 or so.
Modeling amps use transistors and IC (integrated circuit chips.) The modeling amp is designed to produce effects (phaser, autowah, chorus, etc.) and also presets that digitally simulate the sound of several different amps. These effects generally sound flat and sterile (with a few exceptions on the higher-priced end.) The amp simulations are disappointing compared to the sound of the original amp.
The only exception I have found on the lower end is the Roland Cube series.
These are my opinions based on years of experience but you need to try several amps before you buy. There are some that would disagree and may have very good reasons.

and what about the vox valvetronix ??
Quote by steven seagull
Yes I do, don't you?

Fact of the matter is £200 is barely enough to buy one amp, let alone two...given the choice of a gigging amp I could turn down and a practice amp that I can't make any louder I know which one I'd take.

to you and TS too : it's better if he gets a vox ad15vt for practise (or a second hand ad30vt, cause it has a built-in attenuator) and a (second hand) ad50vt for gigging.
et voila, two decent amps for £200
Last edited by The Masterplan at Jul 18, 2007,
I tend to not like modeling amps. Hybrid amps at the lower price range are not much better. The Vox wouldn't be horrible but there are better for the money. If you crank one it probably won't sound any better than a solid-state.
the vox and cube are both modeling amps too you know. and if you crank a cube it sounds pretty bad too.
i don't get what you're saying.
and you're saying there are better for the money; which ??
to you and TS too : it's better if he gets a vox ad15vt for practise (or a second hand ad30vt, cause it has a built-in attenuator) and a (second hand) ad50vt for gigging.

Why would you want to get 2 versions of the same amp? That's daft...and it's not like the AD50 is exactly back-breaking, and there's maybe 15% volume difference between the two. You'd buy one or the other, but not both. It's fair enough if your talking Cube 20 vs JCM800 stack...but to be honest I wouldn't class any of the cubes or valvetonix as gigging amps, however the larger ones could do the job if needed.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

i'd get two amps (even of the same sort) so i can leave on at practise and one at my room.
and my friend gigs with an ad50vt without a problem and he doesn't mic it.
i'd get two amps (even of the same sort) so i can leave on at practise and one at my room.
and my friend gigs with an ad50vt without a problem and he doesn't mic it.

In reality though most people wouldn't - they buy one amp. It's all well and good being Johnny Two-Amps if you can afford it but in most cases it's financially impractical. The TS wants an amp, suggesting he buy two isn't really being particularly helpful...if he happens to find a used amp then I'm sure he can find better things to do with the money he saves.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
In reality though most people wouldn't - they buy one amp. It's all well and good being Johnny Two-Amps if you can afford it but in most cases it's financially impractical. The TS wants an amp, suggesting he buy two isn't really being particularly helpful...if he happens to find a used amp then I'm sure he can find better things to do with the money he saves.

agreed. getting two amps now would be an asinine thing to do with the money
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Unless you are too lazy to move them or you buy different amps for different sounds. I can identify with lazy. If you don't have the money it might not be the thing to do.
I think the Roland Cube is a better sounding amp but the Valvetronix is not too bad. I may just come down to personal preference. I wouldn't be ashamed of the Vox either (though neither for gigging, ok for practice.)
If I was the buyer I would buy neither one. I like Peavey Transtube.
If you're trying to get satch's tone, for only about 40 or 50 more euros you can the 5 watt version of his signature amp (single channel, tremelo). It's nice! Or you could get a fender blues junior and a good distortion pedal.
so right preferabbly i need to try out a few, wht ones shud i try out?

ur sayin the vox which was earlier mentioned, vox valvetronix, and the peavey and lavey?
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
£200 isn't $410, it's more like $390, or $387.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
i used the xe converter so o well
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner