I am not new to the guitar or this website but I am interested to find out if all the UGers have the same definition of anchored because you've all got me a bit confused. I hope by the end of this thread we will have a clear and understandable definition of anchored and unanchored picking which we all may refer to as the UGers definition.

can you also describe what the hand is doing, physically, in in both definitions?
if your hand is anchored it is in some way resting on the body of the guitar

Quote by Black60Jack
WTF is a scale any way.

any arguments Ladies and Gentlemen
Quote by deaththrashcore
Actually, you could let her starve herself to death, then no matter what you do she won't complain. Necrophilia = the best kind of philia.

Only God can make a minor 2nd sound good.

Sick my Duck

Genius_92 AKA Ass Kicker
is resting the heel of your hand, anywhere, above the strings anchored picking.
Quote by deaththrashcore
Actually, you could let her starve herself to death, then no matter what you do she won't complain. Necrophilia = the best kind of philia.

Sick my Duck

Genius_92 AKA Ass Kicker
Does resting your pinky below the strings count as anchoring?
^ anchoring your hand to the guitar be it the palm or fingers and using that for support and guidance when picking is essentially anchoring. such as, some people place their hand over the bridge so that they can get used to where their hand is in relation to the strings. some people do what i used to do and anchor their pinky down somewhere below the high E and hold it there for support and guidance. these are anchoring. do not do these

resting is not anchoring, but chances are if you're holding your finger there for guidance it's not really "resting" , it's supporting.
Quote by afc16
Does resting your pinky below the strings count as anchoring?

Yes.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
y is anchoring bad. I see Malmsteen, Satriani and Steve Vai use. So I always thought it was alright.
Quote by deaththrashcore

Sick my Duck

Genius_92 AKA Ass Kicker
If you want to play at the maximum speed that you can achieve, then anchoring is bad it will because it limit you at some point. If not and you feel more comfortable anchoring, then go for it.

I anchor and i can play about 11nps doing chromatics stuff but i don't plan to go much faster than that.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
i dont anchor my pinky, because someone told me that was extremely bad technique, but i still have my palm on the bridge ...i dont really care about speed, and the impression i got was that pinky anchoring is very bad no matter what. is having your palm on the bridge very bad aswell?
Quote by Phe4rTheGod

awww...talkin shit tryin to defend a fagband??? how cute...fuck opeth...lamb of god is what makes metal these days...they are what pantera was in the 80's and 90's...prickfuck...talk shit...

Quote by Danis1
i dont anchor my pinky, because someone told me that was extremely bad technique, but i still have my palm on the bridge ...i dont really care about speed, and the impression i got was that pinky anchoring is very bad no matter what. is having your palm on the bridge very bad aswell?

its not bad if your palm muting
shred is gaudy music
Quote by Freepower
Anchoring is when any part of your body is fixed to a certain point of the guitar/pressing against it.

Does this include the forearm?
^ yes, it includes the forearm. chances are your arm is gonna come in contact w/ yer guitar. thats just common sense. but if you're setting it there so you can use it as a guide for your hand, then thats not good.
I anchor pretty much for almost everything, as stated earlier. However, I do not put my fingers on the body of the guitar, or my pinky or anything. I just rest my hand on the bridge so I can palm mute as needed, EXTREMELY easily, and when I need to reach the lower strings, just move my elbow forward and voila, easy access to all strings.
Palm Muting DOES NOT count as anchoring, and is exceptable, as you obviously have to rest your hands on the strings to palm mute.

I rest my palm sum where on the guitar when not palm muting, which i need to get out of the habit of doing.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
What about putting your forearm on the top of your guitar? I'm trying to learn to play unanchored, and I was wondering if this is alright or not.
Ibanez Xiphos XPT700
Laney VH100R
Epi Les Paul (SH-1 '59 neck, SH-11 custom custom bridge)
It doesn't matter if you anchor or not. Play in whatever way you feel comfortable.

Sometimes, anchoring won't even affect how fast you can play. I can prove this: Michael Angelo Batio anchors all three fingers under his high E string when he shreds at lightning-speed. Watch the introduction to his Speed Kills video.

I personally can play anchored and unanchored, with my forearm above the strings, or a finger or two below the high E. In no way has it impared my speed factor.

My thoughts, however: you don't need to play 20 nps to be a good guitarist.
Quote by Kensai
I know a good joke:

Women's rights.
Quote by Chubbychunks
I know a good joke:

Kensai's life.
Quote by insideac
I anchor pretty much for almost everything, as stated earlier. However, I do not put my fingers on the body of the guitar, or my pinky or anything. I just rest my hand on the bridge so I can palm mute as needed, EXTREMELY easily, and when I need to reach the lower strings, just move my elbow forward and voila, easy access to all strings.

Doesn't work at all with a trem system.....
Rig:
MIM Fender Strat

Vox V847A Wah
Dunlop JH-F1 Fuzz Face
Boss DS-1
Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9 x2!!!
Boss Passive A/B Box
Boss BF-3 Flanger
Boss Volume Pedal

Marshall 4203 Artist 30Watt Tube
Epiphone Electar Tube 30
Anchoring can easily lead to unwanted tension.

That's one of the reasons why it should be avoided.
Member #8 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
Quote by Cycon
Anchoring can easily lead to unwanted tension.

That's one of the reasons why it should be avoided.

what's another? i anchor pick and it helps me out alot. I would just rest my palm on the bridge but its not that easy on a strat style guitar. honestly there isnt really any good place to rest my hand or arm on it. Can someone give me advice as to how i can play without having to rest my hand on the guitar?