Im a bit new to these sort of things, and this may be a n00bish question, but -deep breath- here it is.

Can an Amp head operate with out a cabinet? I mean like could you still hear it?
and say I buy one...could I plug it into my Micro Cube and play it?

thank you for your help in advance
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
NO, a head can not operate without a cabinet, and if you turn it on without speakers attached, you will damage the amp. I would not recommend plugging it into a microcube, since that would most likely blow out the speaker. You need to match the ohms and wattage that the amp puts out to a proper speaker cabinet. What head is it, and did you buy it yet?
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
you wouldn't hear it, and you could blow it out if you play into it, depending on what kind it is. and you couldnt plug it to the cube and hear it but you could probly plug the cube into a cabnet and that would work
ESP Custom Shop 40th Anniversary Eclipse
ESP Standard Eclipse-II
Ibanez AF85VLS
no its not actually possible trust me ive tried

the only way you could get your amp head to play through cube is if you bypassed the distortion on the cube and basically just used the cube as a temporary speaker and if you try to do that id be careful because i guarantee that unless somehow your cube's ohms and your heads ohms match up, your going to completely blow the speaker of the cube

o ya and by the way i would be VERY careful because when i tried to do the same thing you are doing with my jcm 900 head plugged into my old 15 watt crate, i blew one of the billion fuses in the jcm 900 and it took almost a week to get it fixed. trust me it was a pain when i finally got my cabinet and plugged my new halfstack in only to find that i couldnt play it
if you had a ss or hybrid head you can use its line out without a cabinet. usually it wont damage the amp(or at least i dont think so, correct me if im wrong), BUT if you buy a tube head and run without load it dies so big no, no
my shit>>>>www.myspace.com/buenostudios

BlackHeart BH5-112
Peavey Rage 158
ESP LTD M-200FM
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD EX-260
Dunlop Crybaby F Wah
Aria Phase Shifter
you could plug it into youre micro cube if you had a line out. if youere icro cube has a preamp in use it not the imput where you plug yorue guitar but iff not then dont put the level of yorue head very high and you can put it thru the guitar imput
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Quote by Sid McCall
NO, a head can not operate without a cabinet, and if you turn it on without speakers attached, you will damage the amp. I would not recommend plugging it into a microcube, since that would most likely blow out the speaker. You need to match the ohms and wattage that the amp puts out to a proper speaker cabinet. What head is it, and did you buy it yet?

thanks for the answer ^-^

no, I didnt buy one yet, but i was going to try and scrounge up some money to buy a Marshall. thanks for telling me about the Cube thing as well.
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
^^ I'm not gonna risk my Cube being blown, but thank you for the help!
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
Quote by Kai07
thanks for the answer ^-^

no, I didnt buy one yet, but i was going to try and scrounge up some money to buy a Marshall. thanks for telling me about the Cube thing as well.

Trust me, post a thread asking about getting a new amp, and tell everyone your price range and the sound you want. There are a lot of better options that a full-blown marshall half stack, since most people don't need that kind of power.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
The only head I know of that you can opperate without being plugged into a cab are the Line 6 Flextone range.
If it's a tube head, do NOT turn it on without a speaker load attached. It could explode or **** your head another way.

Don't do it.
Washburn Dime V w/ Bill&Becky L500XL
Peavey 5150 120w All-Tube Head
DR Strings
Boss Effects
It's been stated more than a few times already, but yeah, Not good with a tube head. You can blow the output transformer. If it's a solid state head, you can use it as a preamp with no problems, but all in all it's best to wait until you have both the head and a cabinet to plug it into. Make sure the impedance (ohms) matches the out put of the head. Marshall usually has a universal output on their heads so you don't have to bother with setting the ohms so long as the cab is not rated below 4 ohms. Also make sure the cab can handle the power as well (e.g. head = 100w, so cab should be rated at 100w or more)
Washburn Dime 333, Ibanez RG7620, LTD MH250NT w/ EMG 89x's
Modded Boss Metal Zone, Boss CE-5, DD-3, Intellifex
Jet City JCA2112RC, ADA MP-1 Preamp,
GK 400RB Bass head
Marshall and Ampeg 4x12 cabs