Page 2 of 3
I heard their live shows are incredible.

This thread almost has 2 pages. It's almost gone as unnoticed as the band.
For the sake of bumping the thread..

Alan Jones 4 Life!
Matthew 5:5 - "Blessed are the meek: for they shall Beherit the earth."
Phenomenal band... The Sorcerer is maybe the most perfect song ever written.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
SAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMHEEEEIIIINNNNNNN!

*Galloping*

Oh my god what an album. It's been far too long since I last listened to Pagan Altar.
I worship at the Altar.
Can't wait to see the almighty Altar on Sunday
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Fuck you.

They were supposed to be playing here but it totally fell through. Utter gutter.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
This is their first visit to our country, God knows how many times they've been to Scotland hahha

Eazy come see them over here in september!
Quote by Ultraussie

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
Dublin Doom Fest aye?

I was considering it but it's fairly close to Damnation which I refuse to miss this year, so I can't really spare the cash.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Last night was amazing

I had no problem getting inside the venue despite it having an age limit of 18. Personally, Isole have never been among my favourite epic doom metal bands, but as a live act they were enjoyable, though nothing mind blowing. Much preferred their early stuff too.

Pagan Altar then proved why they're in the absolute elite of metal bands. My only gripe was that Terry's vocals were a bit too inaudible in the front, but that's understandable. They also played a new song (or at least one I haven't heard before) called Portrait Of Something-I-Didn't-Catch, sounded brilliant and now I can't wait for the next album

New statement by Terry:

I have been extremely busy of late trying to catch up with my own personal life and affairs after devoting the last six months or so solely on keeping Pagan Altar moving and organised at the expense of everything else and I do need my own space sometimes.

To keep playing live is becoming increasingly time consuming, problematic and stressful to Al and I and we now feel it is getting near to the time for us to start thinking about calling a halt in the not too distant future and only do a few selected gigs and perhaps concentrate more on getting some recorded material out. I know Themis is of the same mind having said as much when we spoke on the phone recently and he’s right.
I feel we are just basically treading water and although the highlight for us is, and always has been, meeting up with the Templars it is becoming increasingly hard to keep on top of things when so much time is lost just putting live sets together, travelling etc with all the nonsense that entails.

Al and I have thought long and hard about this for weeks now, well since Finland more so and is not a decision we came to easily but one we feel we must make at some stage.

I don’t think we have a point to prove anymore and as Themis pointed out we will be remembered more for what we lay down in stone than for the live shows.

Also, they are on the lookout for a new bassist....
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
Giving Lords Of Hypocrisy a spin again after a couple of months... Is it normal to get teary-eyed while listening to the almighty Altar?

Seriously, there's very few bands that have this impact on me

'Think of the people you meet everyday....'
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
The singer would fit in Gentle Giant.

That is, if they had a crushing doom metal moment.
Philosophy > Life
Satan's Henchmen does that for me. I'm not exclusively talking about the intro either. When that riff and those juicy leads kick in, some inexplicable power pierces my soul and I just feel utterly overwhelmed.

The best 3-minute song ever recorded.

Horse and rider appear as one,
to disappear before the rising sun!
Fading shadows in the morning light,
Satan's henchmen rule the niiiiiiii-iiight!!

listened ot The Lords Of Hypocrisy for the first time yesterday, man that shit was epic.
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Ive finally come to the realisation that Lords of Hypocrisy is their best work...
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
Quote by Stranglehold
Ive finally come to the realisation that Lords of Hypocrisy is their best work...

YES! Definitely my favorite PA release!
I've always been the most fond of Lords Of Hypocrisy.

I prefer Mythical and Magical tbh; literally not a dull or sub-par moment, and I prefer the vocal performance on that one too

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
satan's henchmen ruleee the niiiiightttt
Quote by guitgrinder
Yep. I'm real mad. I got done havin some fun jammin w/ my band today, gonna have a Sloppy Joe dinner, w/ Tater Tots covered in chili, then my girlfriends gonna blow me tonight. I've got lots to be mad about!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLgSzkVFer8

Song off of the upcoming album "Never Quite Dead".

Sounds great, just what one would expect from the band. This will probably end up being THE album to beat in 2012...
The dudes voice has always made me want to slit my wrists. I really try to get into this band, I really do, I just can't.
Do all the albums by this band feature the same overly nasally vocals? I love the music, but I cannot get into the vocals.
^ Yes, all albums feature Terry Jones' trademark, nasally muppet vocals. I was once in the same position as you guys are, but the music was just too good that I couldn't NOT listen to the band. In time, I grew to enjoy the unique charm of the vocals and wouldn't want them any other way.
Last edited by Penisaur at Dec 31, 2011,
Quote by Penisaur
^ Yes, all albums feature Terry Jones' trademark, nasally muppet vocals. I was once in the same position as you guys are, but the music was just too good that I couldn't NOT listen to the band. In time, I grew to enjoy the unique charm of the vocals and wouldn't want them any other way.

I love the music but his vocals are just so ****ing awful I can't listen to them. I think suicidal and homicidal thoughts after listening to one song
You should listen to those suicidal thoughts
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Pagan Altar are not for wimps and posers, or Rich Walker.

Quote by Kepulix
Pagan Altar are not for wimps and posers, or Rich Walker.

Does he rip on them?
Quote by Metal_Head1
Vocals are perfect.
Listen to all of Volume 1 or something....
They make an epic tale fvcking captivating

So far, this is slightly better. The vocals are still absolutely awful, however. The music is just so ridiculously good that I want to listen to it.
Quote by Penisaur
Does he rip on them?

I'm not going to say "ever since he left the band", but yeah, they detest each other these days.

Its alright, some people just arent cut out for pagan altar.
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested