I have some electrolytic caps with leads on both ends. There is a stripe that runs down the cap with a - on it.

Which lead is the negative though?

Thanks
I have found out the shorter lead should be the negative.

But yet the indent is at the negative side????
The stripe with the - on it should have an arrow- it points to negative.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by kurtlives91
I have found out the shorter lead should be the negative.

But yet the indent is at the negative side????

Maybe the indent is at the end which is indicated (- in your case) I've only ever seen axial caps with a + on it, so I really don't know.
Quote by tubab0y
The stripe with the - on it should have an arrow- it points to negative.

It doesnt.
Quote by kurtlives91
It doesnt.

It should. Pictures?
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by kurtlives91
All the pics come out blurry.
Fine then. What BRAND is it? Each manufacture usually stays with one convention for marking polarity.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
^ Sorry, that tells nothing. That's only the vendor. We need the manufacturer. Just read the writing on the cap and type in everything you see.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Alright it is baby blue and about a cm long. It has a black strip on its side with a - on it but no arrows.

It says XICON on it. Also +/- 20%. 47uf 16V.
(Invalid img)

Like this?

See how the black bar tapers to form an arrow? That's what I mean.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
It goes to both leads and has two - on it. One in the middle and the other one is on the indent.
Fu ck.

Everyone else I have talked too has told me indent means +.

What would happen if I connected it wrong?
The worst that could happen is it will go bang =0)

On radial caps, the shortest lead is the negative, I'd go with that, as everything else is pointing to it.
Really, nothing should happen if you hook it up wrong. It just won't work.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
Electrolytics can pop if you wire them the wrong way around - we used to do it in school. Its not going to do a lot of damage though...
A guy at my school almost got hit in the eye by an explaoding cap he wired the wrong way.

Ok one other question. Is it the red wire on a battery clip that is the +?
Quote by kurtlives91
A guy at my school almost got hit in the eye by an explaoding cap he wired the wrong way.

Always wear safety glasses when you blow up caps =0)
Quote by kurtlives91

A relatively small cap (I think it was 25v and 100uf) exploded in a power supply that some pre-voc kids were working on at my TAFE. It had enough power to crack the thick plastic enclosure it was in. I'm guessing this wouldn't do a lot of good to your eye
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Aha, now I know your problem. I just got my order from small bear. He's right, they don't have arrows.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
I'm Keeley modding my DS-1.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
I'm thinking about it. I have an extra SPST switch lying around...I just might.

Which one, though? I can't decide.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!