sorry I don't know why I am starting this new thread since it it's practically all there in the first one but here I am. So anyway it turns out that I am not actually anchoring if you can clear one last thing up for me. my little finger touches the scratchplate. I don't use it to steady myself or anything it's just there and it doesn't do anything, I just let it hang loose. am I anchoring and will it affect my speed?
Quote by deaththrashcore
Actually, you could let her starve herself to death, then no matter what you do she won't complain. Necrophilia = the best kind of philia.

Only God can make a minor 2nd sound good.

Sick my Duck

Genius_92 AKA Ass Kicker
Well as anchoring means no point of contact or drag on the guitar, and your fingers there, it'll cause some drag, thus causing you to be slightly anchored i guess
I anchor, don't see what the big deal is. The only times I unanchor is when Im doing a ridiculously fast sweep, or when I want to add more noticeable dynamics.
^ edit: insideac, i respect ya and all man, but spend 6 months not anchoring and i promise you WILL notice a difference. i could tell after a month.

if it's free floating and you aren't using it as a something to hold your hand in a certain position for picking, then no, you aren't anchoring. anchoring is basically the act of holding/pressing your palm or any of your finger against the bridge/body of the guitar and basically anchoring down to have a relative position for picking. having your fingers/etc brush agains tthe body or bridge is normal, holding them there to "help" picking is not. please check out the anchoring threads previously posted, there is a lot of good advice and valuable insight there (as well as outright flaming)
I dont think there is much point in debating this further. Some people think its extremely important, many others dont. We all know that people who play unanchored think its the only proper way to play (or so it seems)....in reality though, there is more than 1 right way to play the guitar, and youll have to decide for yourself what is best for you.
A good way to decide is to listen to players that play anchored vs unanchored.... also sample some of the music by people here that are giving you advice on the subject. Hearing what they've achieved with unanchored... or anchored picking is probably the best way to judge what direction to take.
shred is gaudy music
^ heh, don't let freepower hear ya say that. seriously though to the OP, Freepower posted a LOT about this issue in a previous "anchored vs unanchored" thread (thats the exact name i believe too) definately check it out. i wouldn't be so adamant about playing unanchored had it not done much for me. but i can tell such a difference in my playing that i'm amazed how much i improved over the last year (i think its been about a year now) its pretty unreal.
People.. I used to anchor and I believed it was just as easy to play anchored as not-anchored (matter of preference) but when I forced myself to stop.... I noticed much improvement in about a month or so...

IT REALLY SLOWS YOU DOWN TO PLAY ANCHORED!!!

It's not a matter of preference or anything as people will say... people who say that are people WHO ANCHOR... For sure, you'll still be able to play and even go fast, etc. but you'll never be as good as if you don't anchor...
Note: Sorry if my grammar and/or vocabulary isn't very good, English is my 2nd language!

Quote by Resiliance
you show me yours and I'll show you mine!

If you're wondering where I've been gone, click here!
Okay, my hand NEVER rests on the bridge/body, but I sometimes notice that the palm of my hand VEEEEERY lightly rests on the bottom strings when I'm playing on the higher strings. Is this okay?
Quote by buckethead_jr
I didn't think they had metal in the 1790's

Quote by Guitarislife125
Copper is a metal

Quote by buckethead_jr
Ah, touche.
Quote by hurlyz
People.. I used to anchor and I believed it was just as easy to play anchored as not-anchored (matter of preference) but when I forced myself to stop.... I noticed much improvement in about a month or so...

IT REALLY SLOWS YOU DOWN TO PLAY ANCHORED!!!

It's not a matter of preference or anything as people will say... people who say that are people WHO ANCHOR... For sure, you'll still be able to play and even go fast, etc. but you'll never be as good as if you don't anchor...

LOL like I was saying
shred is gaudy music
guys i know you increase speed being unanchored but don't you lose accuracy.
Quote by deaththrashcore
Actually, you could let her starve herself to death, then no matter what you do she won't complain. Necrophilia = the best kind of philia.

Sick my Duck

Genius_92 AKA Ass Kicker
When you start out yes, you lose accuracy, so you start slooooowwwwwww, slow enough so you can get whatever your playing perfect everytime (if it it means 16ths at 40bpm, thats where I went when I first started playing unanchored), then gradually build it up. Its hard work, and takes time and effort everyday, and don't kid yourself either, if its not clean, keep trying or slow it down, whatever you do don't speed it up if you miss and note every other time, or even one in ten times.

But trust me, worth it!
Quote by BassTalk
Okay, my hand NEVER rests on the bridge/body, but I sometimes notice that the palm of my hand VEEEEERY lightly rests on the bottom strings when I'm playing on the higher strings. Is this okay?

As long as you're not using them as a point of support, holding on to them for your dear life so to speak, to steady yourself.

You NEED to touch the strings if you want to play cleanly lots of times too (muting ), but you should control your arm, not glue it to the guitar in any way. Your hand should move over the string when you change from string to string, otherwise you'll just be limiting your movement like real anchoring.

And why oh why did you start a new thread? The last one has got almost all the information you need...and there's a link to the anchored vs unanchored thread, which is about 20 pages long IIRC, read that please, before you ask the same things over and over (I did!).
Not only would it disrupt the fabric of time and space, but it would totally ruin the surprise!
The test is really this: if you HAVE to touch your fingers, hand, wrist to the guitar
in order to pick ANYTHING so that the pick doesn't miss a string or get caught or
achieve any kind of accuracy control, then you're anchoring. The keywords in caps.

Be honest with yourself. You know if you're doing it or not.

Quote by Genius_92
guys i know you increase speed being unanchored but don't you lose accuracy.

no. Accuracy is not affected one bit.

Speed is the wrong way to look at it. You can reach higher intensities of playing
with greater ease.
Last edited by edg at Jul 19, 2007,
after reading all this stuff..
im getting a little curious,
i like playing anchored, but it's just as easy to let it go

but, is speed the only advantage you get from playing unanchored?
cause i could just drop the issue.. speed is not at all any of my concerns

and after asking, all teachers in my section tell me the main advantage is relaxing your hand some more, but ive been through that, its completely relaxed both anchored and unanchored, so them teachers tell me there's no need to play unanchored, and they're without a doubt the musicians to whom i look up to most..

and in my experience playing anchored gives me more dynamical options, requires less focus, thus allowing me to focus more on the feel and the backing, if it gets complicated.

but, maybe im just understanding the terms anchored and unanchored completely wrong, because ive never used those words to describe my techniques

anyway, is there another advantage i might have overlooked?
i might want to check it out..
1953 Epiphone zephyr
1988 PRS custom 24
1960 Moon oct. mandolin
Advantages - more mobility, more speed, more dynamic range, less risk of injury
Disadvantages - having to learn to do it if you play anchored.

Sorted.

Guys, this paranoia about just touching is a bit crazy. The threadstarter here seems to be one of those people with big hands, where the pinky just hangs loose from the hand and the touching against the scratchplate is accidental. That's fair enough, obviously. Similarly, touching the guitar is not a death sentance! It's just one of the side effects of having an imperfect instrument and imperfect body - as long as you aren't keeping part of your hand fixed or pressing into the body - and it's quite easy to press very hard into the body without noticing, trust me.

Open the windows and let a bit of common sense in, eh?
right so are we all agreed :

-that unanchoring is where you fix part of your hand to the guitar body for support.

-that you should do what you feel most comfortable with. Although anchoring has more justifiable benefits.

-That if you accidently touch the guitar with your picking hand while your playing it doesn't matter. Also if part of your and just naturally touches the guitar body because it doesn't have any where elso to go it doesn't matter. (This last point is where your finger is just touching and is not rigid or stuck to one point.)

This is the knew comprehensive definition and view of Anchored Picking.

I'd like a few yes's and comments please and they better archive this.
Quote by deaththrashcore

Sick my Duck

Genius_92 AKA Ass Kicker
Last edited by Genius_92 at Jul 19, 2007,
^ no. Not quite genius level summarising there, matey.

-that anchoring is where you fix part of your hand to the guitar.

*corrected*

-that you should do what you feel most comfortable with. Although anchoring has more justifiable benefits.

That's ludicrous - first off, it's UNanchoring that has more justifiable benefits. Read. Secondly, doing whatever you feel comfortable with is retarded - essentially, it means doing whatever you're already doing. Playing guitar is not natural, and is not comfortable at all until you are used to it. Secondly, the instrument wasn't designed for a plectrum right hand approach, so any picking style is going to be awkward and uncomfortable.

You want to do whats comfortable, don't pick up the guitar.

-That if you accidently touch the guitar with your picking hand while your playing it doesn't matter. Also if part of your and just naturally touches the guitar body because it doesn't have any where elso to go it doesn't matter. (This last point is where your finger is just touching and is not rigid or stuck to one point.)

A lot of people "accidently" touch quite hard. Generally speaking, unless you've got really big hands, your fingers should not drag across the body, and your wrist should only really be touching for muting. Esoteric postures and picking styles excepted, obviously.

And if you want to archive anything, the "anchor or no anchor" thread would be a start.
Mr. Freepower

for the second point I meant unanchoring, I am sorry and I will now change it.

as for your other point about the second point I am trying to please everyone here. lots of people anchor and they are very successful so I feel that statement is quite justified. (post the "unanchored" change.)

and for the third point my hands aren't incredibily large and they touch the body of the guitar and the only way I can think of to stop that is keep my hand as a fist, apart from my thumb and forefinger which looks retarded. also I would be a hypocrite if i said that you are not aloud to touch the guitar body will picking.

you are of course right apart the guitar/no pick thing
Quote by deaththrashcore

Sick my Duck

Genius_92 AKA Ass Kicker
Last edited by Genius_92 at Jul 19, 2007,
Ok, say for tremolo picking. In that case would it be worth anchoring? Firstly, I do not anchor, at all; but when I do tremolo I find it so much easier and consistent to anchor a little bit.

Is this ok? Once again, on normal licks throughout strings I do not anchor, but I find that when I concentrate on one and I need to keep a steady fast pace it is easier to anchor.
Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
^Read the thread, yes. Also, read the thread further down this forum's page. And the first anchored thread, there's a link to it in the other topic.
Not only would it disrupt the fabric of time and space, but it would totally ruin the surprise!
I just switched to complete non-anchoring, and I reckon I can see the benefits of it right away. My hand can move over the strings faster because it's just floating in mid-air.
im not sure if i anchor or not. im a little confused now. my pinky usually touches the pickguard but it isnt fixed. its mostly just because of how i keep my hand while picking. i curl my fingers under and it kind of just makes me touch the pickgaurd. but like i said, its not fixed. it moves a long when i pick. ive noticed a lot of players do this including the pros. is this really that bad? i still keep no tension in my hand. ive tried lifting my fingers off and it didnt seem to make much of a difference in playing. just feels weird because im not curling the fingers and im not used to that.
Quote by Galvanise69
How do you mute properly playing unanchored, full distortion for instance? do you need to modify your fretting hand technique, and if so, how?

You just move your palm down onto the strings to mute.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Both, depending on the situation. I use my picking hand to mute the lower strings and my fretting hand index finger to mute the higher strings.

This HAS been covered in those topics I mentioned, you'll find more explanations there.