I'm going to be getting a Marshall Stack with the money I have been saving from working (Woot) and i need to know how long the tubes should last. I practice from 1 to 4 hours a day (depending how tired I am from work) and if im not practicing i'm usually jamming it out with some friends (mostly just a drummer). I'm probrally gonna get the JVM 100 watt stack and just a estimate on how long it will take to burn one of them out would be great.

Thanks.
-Fellow Musician
My Junk:
Epiphone Elitist 57' Goldtop Les Paul
Saving For New Amplifier! YAY (current one is as useful as using a milk carton)
Boss DS-1 Pedal
If you take care of them your power tubes would last you two years or so with the time you are putting into playing. Just make sure you give the amp time to heat up the tubes and time to cool off before moving. Keeps good tube life. All in all its not too bad since tubes are relatively cheap. Also to comment on your amp, are you doing a kind of bedroom practice thing? 100 watts is mighty loud. I'd love a 100 watt amp but I can't get the best out of it with my playing circumstances.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Member #2 of the Coheed and Cambria fanclub, PM dementedpuppy to join.
Quote by OsirisProtocol
If you take care of them your power tubes would last you two years or so with the time you are putting into playing. Just make sure you give the amp time to heat up the tubes and time to cool off before moving. Keeps good tube life. All in all its not too bad since tubes are relatively cheap. Also to comment on your amp, are you doing a kind of bedroom practice thing? 100 watts is mighty loud. I'd love a 100 watt amp but I can't get the best out of it with my playing circumstances.

Yeah, a nice 30ish watt tube combo would be better. Also, there are less tubes to change.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
I agree with you it wouldn't give me the full potential durring home practice but when I play with my drummer i can put it relevently high. He has some huge drums and he hits as hard as he can.
My Junk:
Epiphone Elitist 57' Goldtop Les Paul
Saving For New Amplifier! YAY (current one is as useful as using a milk carton)
Boss DS-1 Pedal
Quote by roxorzroxz
I agree with you it wouldn't give me the full potential durring home practice but when I play with my drummer i can put it relevently high. He has some huge drums and he hits as hard as he can.

A 50 watter would drown him out, unless you need insane amounts of clean headroom.

But if you're set on the JVM and the 100 watter gets you the tone you want don't let anyone talk you out of buying it for the sake of a bit less volume
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Well, I don't think the JVM comes in any other wattage level. IMO, most of the JVM's channels sound pretty much the same, but if you like it, it's a good amp, if not abound with a few useless features.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
just to chime in about the channels sounding the same...i think people are getting this impression from the Guitar World demo on the OnDemand cable stations or the cd/dvd that comes with the magazine. I just watched it today just to see if I was missing some hidden features, and every, I mean EVERY, mode and channel that guy demonstrated sounded the same except the clean channel. I couldn't believe it myself. Maybe the sound recorder guy didn't want to record the squealing at high gain. I say that because the demonstrator was playing OD2, Red, and the gain was 3/4 the way up, channel volume halfway, master well above half. My ears would be bleeding from the volume and intensity of the gain at that point. Also, I noted the guitar was pretty quiet at those settings when he wasn't playing, which is very impossible with this amp. Lots o' noise from this beast. Just some random FYI, I guess.
Now if you're saying all channels sound the same and you have played through it, well, then I don't know what to tell you.
Long story short, try it out. Don't go by what others tell you, and especially don't go by the Guitar World sound clips.
Hm. I have 1964 Echolette BS-40 with stock Telefunken tubes. Played weekly at high volumes, almost daily at low by the previous owner. And the tubes are nowhere near their death.

Weird ass stuff, I know, but it's true.,
Quote by bakk
Hi,
I have been pickin' up some Arabic radio signal things. Every time I turn up my Amp, this crazy Imam starts messing up my chords.

Proud owner of a 1987 Kramer Baretta I w/ spider Guitart.
^ I'd say it's more likely the tubes have been crap for so long that you don't notice anymore. Leaving the stock tubes in for 40+ years can't be good....
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music