Hi, I am kind of confused and am looking for an answer to my question(thats why I came here ). I am confused with note duration. Because if I have say, a song at 200 bpm, and a song at 120 bpm. The length of the same notes in each song would be different wouldn't they. Ex. The length of the quarter notes would be almost double right? Or do the length of the notes always stay the say even if the tempo is faster? So for example, say I could fit 4 quarter notes into the 120 bpm song..could i fit 4 into the 200 bpm song? Or would it just be made up of eight notes or something like that? So basically my question is, when the tempo is faster in a song, do the length of the notes in general change. Another ex. quarter note in 120 bpm song is 1.5 seconds long. While a quarter note in a 240bpm song would be 0.75 seconds long? Or would the note always be 1.5 seconds no matter that the song? Sorry if I am confusing you, I know you guys are pretty smart so I am hoping you guys can figure all this jibber jabber out. Thanks,
Be cool.
The quarter notes change with the tempo.
Don't think of the quarter notes in seconds though, it's too confusing that way.
Say you set your metronome to 120 BPM. In standard 4/4 time (4 beats to a measure and a quarter note gets the beat) every time the metronome 'ticks' is a quarter note. An eighth note is half the duration of a quarter note, therefore you would play 2 eighth notes for one quarter notes.
Quote by guitarmaniac17
The quarter notes change with the tempo.
Don't think of the quarter notes in seconds though, it's too confusing that way.
Say you set your metronome to 120 BPM. In standard 4/4 time (4 beats to a measure and a quarter note gets the beat) every time the metronome 'ticks' is a quarter note. An eighth note is half the duration of a quarter note, therefore you would play 2 eighth notes for one quarter notes.

So, say I set the metronome to 240 bpm, every time it ticks, thats a quarter note right?
Be cool.
you have the right idea, except at 120bpm a quarter note would be 1/2 second (60 seconds divided by 120 beats). at 240, it'd be 1/4 second. it's math. but in reality, you'll never think like that. take a record and speed it up. note what's being played is the same thing at a faster speed (or faster bpm). the notes on the sped up record are the same in sheet music, but played faster.

yes, 1 tick is a quarter.
2 ticks is a half
4 ticks is a whole
1/2 a tick is an eighth
1/4 a tick is a sixteenth
1/8 a tick is a thirty-second
so forth and so on.
gear?
coming soon... parker fly mojo flame
ibanezes: rg350dx frankenstein * rg7620 7-string
fenders: telecaster plus * stratocaster plus

line 6: pod xt live * ax2 212
other: laney vh100r * mesa dual rectifier * monster cables
Quote by thedude051
Hi, I am kind of confused and am looking for an answer to my question(thats why I came here ). I am confused with note duration. Because if I have say, a song at 200 bpm, and a song at 120 bpm. The length of the same notes in each song would be different wouldn't they. Ex. The length of the quarter notes would be almost double right? Or do the length of the notes always stay the say even if the tempo is faster? So for example, say I could fit 4 quarter notes into the 120 bpm song..could i fit 4 into the 200 bpm song? Or would it just be made up of eight notes or something like that? So basically my question is, when the tempo is faster in a song, do the length of the notes in general change. Another ex. quarter note in 120 bpm song is 1.5 seconds long. While a quarter note in a 240bpm song would be 0.75 seconds long? Or would the note always be 1.5 seconds no matter that the song? Sorry if I am confusing you, I know you guys are pretty smart so I am hoping you guys can figure all this jibber jabber out. Thanks,

Thats one question that anyone has trouble on at a the beginner level.

The speed that which your playing at doesn't change the type that you are playing, but playing that note fasting without being to short or long, but if you were to add articulations like staccato or legato, you get the different, So the answer to your question , (Maybe wrong but hey O well ) But

The overall tempo of a songs changes accuracy and speed of which your the notes at
Quote by DougC84
you have the right idea, except at 120bpm a quarter note would be 1/2 second (60 seconds divided by 120 beats). at 240, it'd be 1/4 second. it's math. but in reality, you'll never think like that. take a record and speed it up. note what's being played is the same thing at a faster speed (or faster bpm). the notes on the sped up record are the same in sheet music, but played faster.

yes, 1 tick is a quarter.
2 ticks is a half
4 ticks is a whole
1/2 a tick is an eighth
1/4 a tick is a sixteenth
1/8 a tick is a thirty-second
so forth and so on.

So, if I played a quarter note at 240bpm, that would be like a half note at 120 bpm right?
Be cool.
no. a half-note has double the duration of a quarter note. you're getting it backwards: a half-note at 240 is the same duration in time as a quarter note at 120.

you really should just pick up a theory book man.
gear?
coming soon... parker fly mojo flame
ibanezes: rg350dx frankenstein * rg7620 7-string
fenders: telecaster plus * stratocaster plus

line 6: pod xt live * ax2 212
other: laney vh100r * mesa dual rectifier * monster cables