I bought a Squier Vintage Modified fretless jazz today, and I seem to be getting fret buzz when I play directly on the fretmarkers past the 8-9th fret. Vibrato makes it worse, to the point were I either have to play the note flat or sharp to avoid the buzz.

When I run my fingers down the fretboard I can feel where all the fretmarkers are, but it doesn't feel like a high or low spot, just different. Could I have gotten a defective bass?
nah. just adjust the truss rod or the action and you should be ok.
gear?
coming soon... parker fly mojo flame
ibanezes: rg350dx frankenstein * rg7620 7-string
fenders: telecaster plus * stratocaster plus

line 6: pod xt live * ax2 212
other: laney vh100r * mesa dual rectifier * monster cables
Quote by enzoslashslash
If there are frets, it isnt a fretless. Raise the action till its smooth

he said fret markers, you know the lines to show you where the frets are supposed to be.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
if it's fretless, you can't have fret buzz

it's either the nut or the bridge, just raise the action, if the problems is still there, fix your trus rod
it could use an action adjustment. the bridge is also a good possibility. id try putting some flatwounds on it too that might help a bit. id just take it to where you bought it and have them set it up. most places do it for free if you just bought the bass.
MusicMan Stingray 4 HH
Modded Fender MIM J-Bass
Fender American Deluxe Ash Strat
Ibanez limited edition walnut EW acoustic #202/250
Fender Bassman 250 2x10 combo
Vox AD50VT
Your truss rod needs straightening. Straighten it till it's almost uncurved, and then lower the action to get that Jaco mwwaah.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by jbassman4
it could use an action adjustment. the bridge is also a good possibility. id try putting some flatwounds on it too that might help a bit. id just take it to where you bought it and have them set it up. most places do it for free if you just bought the bass.

this is the best answer. imo
id just take it to where you bought it and have them set it up. most places do it for free if you just bought the bass.
press harder on the strings, this way they make a solid connection with the fretboard and arent prone to buzzing underneath your fingers. if this doesnt work, do as suggested above.
i thought i had magic fingers once, and had uncovered the fountain of love.

turns out my girlfriend was just peeing on me.
I have the truss rod and action set now, but the buzzing is still there. I'm fairly certain that the problem is that the fretboard just isn't level. I can feel where a lot of the fret markers are. I'm going to bring it to the store soon, and they'll have a look and replace it if need be. Thanks for the help everyone.
Quote by IndianRockStar
What is happening is that your strings are too close to the fingerboard when playing that the string is hitting the wood. I say truss rod, but I've never done anything with it...

Don't you mean his strings are too close and are hitting the plastic? Yeah, that's the word you're looking for. Plastic.

There is probably an imperfection in the Ebonol. Wouldn't surprise me. The stuff is junk. You can't sand it clean either.