Page 1 of 2
What bands do you think are the bands who will be remembered as orchestrating the rocks bands of the future?

Like them or not, I think these bands are going to be imperitive:

RHCP
Incubus
The White Stripes
Taproot

-Alot of the bands around today that use a variety of/strange instruments (I don't really like those bands, but I think they will be important) like the arcade fire, and a lot of ska bands (with the trumpets, horns, etc.).

[All of this is assuming rock music still exists outside of basements and biker bars in the next 25 years]
The Arcade Fire
MF Doom
LCD Soundsystem
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

muse
radiohead (there influence is already pretty widespread)
Incubus
Tool. they wont be an influence on much mainstream acts, but then, neither were King Crimson. still massively influencial
godsmack/trivium
shinedown
velvet revolver
Epi Les Paul Standard (vintage sunburst with SD pearly gates pickup in the bridge and SD Alnico II Pro in the neck)
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50
Avatar 2x12 (vintage 30 and marshall heritage speakers)
Crybaby 535Q
Boss CE-5
Boss GE-7
Boss TU-2
Tool
The Arcade Fire
RHCP
Nine Inch Nails (has influenced many bands and still is)
APC
Queens of the Stone Age
Dream Theater (I think they suck, but everyone seems to like them)
Incubus (have heard a few songs, all pretty solid, pretty popular too)
Radiohead
White Stripes
Muse
The Mars Volta

I think that's pretty much it. Ya, big bands, but they're popular for a reason.
Quote by Adrock1795
When you take a crap do you clean your ass siting down or standing?
Quote by Garret.
upside down
Quote by x_thurston_x
You're working for the government aren't you?
Quote by SkyValley
I don't have an ass.

why no to taproot?

i guess to the casual observer they might not sound that different than other mainstream acts, but go a little deeper and you'll find that to be false.
that doesn't mean theyre influential, mainstream bands will be influential for a reason, because their popular and have a widespread fan base.
I kind of agree with Arcade Fire. I didn't really care for them until I saw them at Coachella. They were freakin' epic.

As for Taproot. I don't see it either. But everyone has their own c-c-c-calling.
No one knows what it's like... to be a dustbin... in Shaftesbury... with hooligans...
Tool
Sublime
Muse
Chili Peppers
System of a Down
Nine inch Nails
The White Stripes
Queens of the Stone Age
Nirvana (they kinda already have, but whatever)
Rage Against the Machine
I have a problem with the bands you see as Today's Most Influential bands because many of the bands you listed such as white stripes, taproot,incubus, they won't be influential at all, they are just popular. That doesn't mean they are influential. You don't see young guitarists trying to emulate Jack white because he and other guitarists like him only play the same standard stuff, without innovation. On the other hand, guitarists like Tom Morello, John Frusciante and Matt Bellamy of Muse all use the guitar as a way of expressing themselves and their ideas by coming up with new and innovative ways to play, or atleast always playing with some sort of passion and energy that, nowadays, is unseen in the mainstream.
There's no way Taproot are influential, I like a few of their songs but they hardly did anything new, I can't see how they are the influence for new bands when they're not particularly innovative with their own music.
Quote by Noshelterhere18
I have a problem with the bands you see as Today's Most Influential bands because many of the bands you listed such as white stripes, taproot,incubus, they won't be influential at all, they are just popular. That doesn't mean they are influential. You don't see young guitarists trying to emulate Jack white because he and other guitarists like him only play the same standard stuff, without innovation. On the other hand, guitarists like Tom Morello, John Frusciante and Matt Bellamy of Muse all use the guitar as a way of expressing themselves and their ideas by coming up with new and innovative ways to play, or atleast always playing with some sort of passion and energy that, nowadays, is unseen in the mainstream.

Sorry to break it to you, but popular does kinda mean they're going to influence a lot of people, just because they're famous. Bands like Green Day, Fall Out Boy, Panic At The Gaybar, will (unfortunately) spawn the next generation of "musical" retards that amass millions of dollars because teenyboppers think they're "sooooooooooo HOTT!! LoLz!!!1!"

And about the Jack White comment:

You suck.
Quote by Adrock1795
When you take a crap do you clean your ass siting down or standing?
Quote by Garret.
upside down
Quote by x_thurston_x
You're working for the government aren't you?
Quote by SkyValley
I don't have an ass.

Did you just say that jack white plays the same standard stuff?!?!

thats one of the best ways to show you are an idiot.

as for taproot, you proved my point for me by saying: "I heard a couple of their songs...". Go buy a couple of their albums, you'll see what I mean. Sure their singles aren't very special, I agree, but listen to the rest of their amazing work, and you'll stick your foot so far into your mouth you'll choke.

and as for saying that just because something is popular dosn't mean its influential, wow, once again you've outdone your stupidity.
Look at what music is popular right now (rap, r&b, pop), and look at the youth of america (wannabe gangsters and playboys, and slutty chicks).

now tell me what is popular isn't influential.

EDIT: Don't turn this into another "what guitarist is creative/good/HENDRIXRULES" convorsation, because there are other threads for that.
Last edited by Megalomaniac16 at Jul 19, 2007,
I think a lot of the future's music will be influenced by electronica a lot of bands will make us of other instruments than the usual guitar, bass, drums (and piano to an extent). Some bands have already begun doing this. Radiohead, Muse take a lot of influence from electronica and bands like Arcade Fire (can't think of another example) use accordion and lots of other instruments. There will always be trends, though. There's always gonna be people who starts to do the exact opposite of what is currently popular (for example punk, grunge).
Well faith no more isn't a band of today but they will definitely be remembered as they already have been pretty influential.
Quote by Lateralus17
There's no way Taproot are influential, I like a few of their songs but they hardly did anything new, I can't see how they are the influence for new bands when they're not particularly innovative with their own music.

You took the words right out of my mouth, except for that fact that I don't like any of their songs.
I think Audioslave, Tool, The White Stripes, Nine Inch Nails, and The Smashing Pumpkins will be influential pretty soon
Quote by str84ever
Well faith no more isn't a band of today but they will definitely be remembered as they already have been pretty influential.

I agree but the question should be what bands are going to be considered influential in a few years but some that have been mentioned are influential. First consider the generation that we live in and that most of y'all are in love with them would be RHCP, because they are already considered influential see as they have been around for a lot longer than some of us have been born. Next would be FNM because they have influence the NU Metal genre. Then Jack White would be another one because he brings a lot of things back to the guitar that have been missing for years due to mideocroty(?) ... I can't spell I know haha. To me STP is influential because they were always put down by critics to only rise up and make some great music that I'm sure well all love. Another would be Soundgarden because whether you like it or not they pretty much invented the sound of today. (not nirvana) Another would be Rage Against the machine because they took a little of what FNM did and really took an atom bomb to it. Then Metallica ... well it metallica nothing more to say. I can't and don't feel like thinking of any more right now so yeah
Sitting on the edge of nowhere.
Watch Out or Ill Steal Your Girlfriend... or Wife.
Roll Tide
I think the next wave of rock and roll or whatever, that comes in however many years, has a lot of possible outcomes. Personally, I'm hoping we see a lot of bands in the next 10 15 years emerge with a some sort of style that is in response to the reall defecit of musical talent that is exhibited by alot of bands today.

I totally agree with the guy who said Bellamy, Frusciante, and Morello would be major sources of inspiration becuase of the way they use their instruments to express themselves.

I think well see like a re-awakening of the 90s grunge scene or something, or not necessarily that scene but bands like RAGE, soundgarden, Faith no more, STP.... and Seinfeld...
Gear

Soon to have Carvin California Carved Top
Fender MIM Strat (Warthog, Spotlight, Condor)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
VOX Valetronix Combo
Boss ME-50
Alvarez Acoustic
I think its really biggoted (is that the right word?) of some people to say whether someone uses a guitar to express themself.

I'm sure a lot of guitarists would say they express themselves through their music, not just those listed.
Quote by Megalomaniac16
I think its really biggoted (is that the right word?) of some people to say whether someone uses a guitar to express themself.

I'm sure a lot of guitarists would say they express themselves through their music, not just those listed.

i think they meant, guitarist such as Tom Morello and Matt Bellamy have found new and innovative ways to express themselves rather than the same old thing.
Nine Inch Nails, Tool, and Queens of the Stone Age are big influences to me and I'm sure a lot of other people, including already famed bands.
Smashing Pumpkins
RHCP
The White Stripes
John Frusciante
RATM
Silverchair
Nirvana
Muse
Tool
FNM

That's for me anyway
Some people like cupcakes exclusively, while myself, I say there is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God's grey Earth as that prince of foods:

the muffin!
Quote by jpx52
i think they meant, guitarist such as Tom Morello and Matt Bellamy have found new and innovative ways to express themselves rather than the same old thing.

But since when has music been exclusive to guitar. Most of the good rock bands today dabble in some genre or other and therefore are not often virtuoso guitar players.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

Quote by pumpkins_rule
But since when has music been exclusive to guitar. Most of the good rock bands today dabble in some genre or other and therefore are not often virtuoso guitar players.

because guitar takes the most practice and talent to play out of any instrument but thats my opinion
Roll Tide
RHCP
U2
Arctic Monkeys for the whole Indie-scene
Green Day for the punk-scene
Quote by Shaggy92
because guitar takes the most practice and talent to play out of any instrument but thats my opinion

So you've mastered all instruments?
White Stripe's influence is already showing. I was going through some music channels today and there was a band basically ripping off Icky Thump. Dunno who it was though.

Quote by Shaggy92

It's also your WRONG opinon.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by Shaggy92

Violin is far far more difficult! (and other ensemble's)
They haven't got frets and it's far harder to get a good tone out of them!

And that's just one instrument that's harder to play
Quote by JvL
Violin is far far more difficult! (and other ensemble's)
They haven't got frets and it's far harder to get a good tone out of them!

And that's just one instrument that's harder to play

Yeah. The reason guitar is so popular is because of its versatility and, ironically enough, of how easy it is to learn. Not because of the amount of talent it takes to "master" it. If that would have been the case, rock music could as well been based on trombone or (like you said) violin or... well, a handful of other instruments...
oh my god i cant say anything with out someone jumping on my ass here do i need to get on all fours and beg like a dog or something I mean I cant get a single thing out without someone jumping down my throat i mean it my opinion respect it as i do yours i have called any of you wrong so please stop geez
Roll Tide
Quote by Shaggy92
oh my god i cant say anything with out someone jumping on my ass here do i need to get on all fours and beg like a dog or something I mean I cant get a single thing out without someone jumping down my throat i mean it my opinion respect it as i do yours i have called any of you wrong so please stop geez

Yes, it's your opinion, and well... it's quite ignorant. If you were a conductor for a symphony orchestra or something, and you had actually played the majority of instruemts, I would have respected your opinion. Seeing that guitar (probably) is the only instruemnt you actually play and put a lot of effort into playing, your opinion becomes pretty invalid pretty quickly.
Around my area most rock bands have a laid back, bluesy sound. A lot of slow songs that have melodies reminiscent of the Beatles or CCR. The band I play in grabs a lot from Floyd and Rush. Personally, I borrow a lot from Flea's non-slap stuff.
Quote by Shaggy92

ROFL

Unless you've played every instrument ever, you have no right to say that guitar is the hardest instrument to master (I've played a fair few and guitar is by far the easiest). It's stupid trying to hide behind the "ITZ ONLY MI OPINYUN LOL" defence cause you can't form an opinion when you haven't played many instruments, at all (if you had there's no way you'd think guitar was the hardest).
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
the oboe ain't no walk in the park homie
No one knows what it's like... to be a dustbin... in Shaftesbury... with hooligans...
Last edited by Child Of Maiden at Jul 21, 2007,
Page 1 of 2