so yeah, my god father that is the music director for my church says that i should learn bass just in case niether one of the 2 bass players show up. I wont buy a bass but ill be using the one at church.Any tips on how to learn how to play it.

any help would be appreciated
umm... know chords and root notes.

i play guitar at my church.... sorry can't help you much
Epi Les Paul Standard (vintage sunburst with SD pearly gates pickup in the bridge and SD Alnico II Pro in the neck)
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50
Avatar 2x12 (vintage 30 and marshall heritage speakers)
Crybaby 535Q
Boss CE-5
Boss GE-7
Boss TU-2
I played Bass for my church, seriously all you need to know is the names of the strings and your good.
Quote by Guitarfreak777
I played Bass for my church, seriously all you need to know is the names of the strings and your good.

ha i wish it was as easy as that but since i play in 2 spanish masses the bass usually does some weird bass line that i have tried to do after a mass. i somewhat get it to sound like the person that played it but then again dont
get sheet music, even if you have just the chord names. the basic church song progression is G, C, A (D). that "L" shap will get you through just about any church situation.
Quote by SOMETHINGSOAD
ha i wish it was as easy as that but since i play in 2 spanish masses the bass usually does some weird bass line that i have tried to do after a mass. i somewhat get it to sound like the person that played it but then again dont

What?
Most modern church songs are I-V-vi-IV progressions. Learn what that means,
Gear:

Fender Mexi Fat Strat
2005 Taylor 614ce

Fender MIM J-Bass Fretless
umm, i dont think this is "modern" church music he's talking about
Quote by SOMETHINGSOAD
but since i play in 2 spanish masses the bass usually does some weird bass line

this is traditional Catholic Music by the sound of it. Correct me if i'm wrong.
i thought i had magic fingers once, and had uncovered the fountain of love.

turns out my girlfriend was just peeing on me.
Quote by FenderKid87
Most modern church songs are I-V-vi-IV progressions. Learn what that means,

Erm no. That comes up a lot but just like normal modern rock there are many other progressions. Usually the progressions come out of a combination of those main 4 chords and inversions.

The best mindset to think in is numbers rather than notation.
The scale chords are I ii iii IV V vi and vii which is a dimished sumthing or rather (u dont use it much). where capitals are majors and lower case are minors.

Listen to music and try and hear these intervals and jumps. If you can get hold of a bass or even a guitar practice at home. (Bass strings EADG are 1 octave higher than the bottom 4 of a normal guitar.) Every song is based on these chords (there are some chords that are "out of key" for example the ii can be played major II. But you don't have to worry about that as a bassist. Listen to the bass notes.

Each chord is made of a tonic triad, basically nots 1, 3 and 5 in the chord, so a C chord is C, E, G, so sometimes the bass is required to play not the root note (ie C) but one of the others. Usually this is the 3rd (E in the case of C) rarely is it the 5th (G). But bear this in mind (its called inversions) so that if you hear a song where the bass goes down from the key note to the 7th it's probably an inversion of the V chord.

Also access to a keyboard/piano helps. There you can see all the notes laid out.
Quote by mustardman
Granted, they're crap, but they're decent.
Quote by Parx
Erm no. That comes up a lot but just like normal modern rock there are many other progressions. Usually the progressions come out of a combination of those main 4 chords and inversions.

The best mindset to think in is numbers rather than notation.
The scale chords are I ii iii IV V vi and vii which is a dimished sumthing or rather (u dont use it much). where capitals are majors and lower case are minors.

Listen to music and try and hear these intervals and jumps. If you can get hold of a bass or even a guitar practice at home. (Bass strings EADG are 1 octave higher than the bottom 4 of a normal guitar.) Every song is based on these chords (there are some chords that are "out of key" for example the ii can be played major II. But you don't have to worry about that as a bassist. Listen to the bass notes.

Each chord is made of a tonic triad, basically nots 1, 3 and 5 in the chord, so a C chord is C, E, G, so sometimes the bass is required to play not the root note (ie C) but one of the others. Usually this is the 3rd (E in the case of C) rarely is it the 5th (G). But bear this in mind (its called inversions) so that if you hear a song where the bass goes down from the key note to the 7th it's probably an inversion of the V chord.

Also access to a keyboard/piano helps. There you can see all the notes laid out.

ahh thanks next sunday ill give it a go after the 12 o clock one( i play sax on that one)and ill ask my god father to help me out a bit
Quote by Parx
(Bass strings EADG are 1 octave higher than the bottom 4 of a normal guitar.)

1 octave higher?
Quote by DUP3R
I like my women like I like my Pop-tarts : dipped in blood and covered in a gay man's feces.

This sig was too fucking big. Make it smaller next time, chief.
Quote by PARX
(Bass strings EADG are 1 octave higher than the bottom 4 of a normal guitar.)
Heretic!!! Blasphemy on the bass forum!!
i thought i had magic fingers once, and had uncovered the fountain of love.

turns out my girlfriend was just peeing on me.