I just got my first guitar and I was wondering if anyone could give me advice about where to start. Also, should I try to learn music notes, or can I just learn tabs? Is learning tabs hard? It's an electric guitar. And I want to play heavy metal. Any advice is great
tab is super ez
enter sandman is ez
smells like teen spirit
stairway to heaven
back in black
welcome to the jungle
symphony of destruntion
god of thunder....those arent too hard of songs to learn
oh yeah...try to learn to alternate pick everyintng right off the bat...cause if you dont its a pain to relearn everything alternate picked...
hey if you want..pm me and id be glad to help you somemroe i could give you some tips and tricks thorugh email as you progress if you'd like
Last edited by ryan p at Jul 19, 2007,
If your going to be playing metal you wont need to learn standard notation. Its mostly only jazz and classical players that use it. Most guitarists cant read it. Tab is really easy to learn and its helpfull when your a beginner, you'll eventually want to start using your ears though. Heres a lesson on reading tabs http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/reading_guitar_tablature.html

A good way to start guitar is by learning basic major, minor and seventh chords. And then finding easy songs to play.
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"
+1 Learn both.

Knowing only sandard notation limits you to finding a lot of stuff transposed to guitar and also takes a fair while to write down stuff you make up. But it helps a lot with learning and understanding how the guitar works. You learn about time signiatures and all that other good theory stuff.

Knowing only TAB leaves you limited to only being able to play TABS (which especially on the internet are not accurate) but it gives you the ability to write down riffs etc in a quick easy way compared to standard notation.

So I say learn both. Start with one of those beginner books as they will teach you playing technique and to read notation at the same time.
if you want to understand music better or you have any desire to write your own music (yes, even metal) learn some music theory... tabs are ok for a fast way to learn songs, but they dont tell you squat about music.

i started out on tabs and i wish i could have started out with standard notation, but im trying to catch up. its alot harder after learning tabs first.
Quote by Article
She pulled off his left testicle and tried to swallow it, before spitting it out. A friend handed it back to Mr Jones saying "That's yours"

Wii Is For Queers! Co-Founder Of The "We Hate Wii" Club
Return to a Condition of Being...<-Band. Add plz!
Yes, I would like to write my own music, but is that really a must? What's standard notation. Is that like music notes? Are there any people that play guitar that can write their own music but don't know music notes. I know I'm looking for the easy way out, I guess I'm lazy
Powered by pain, inspired by grief. The dark side you see, get's darker inside of me. - ME
Quote by NaySoRock
Yes, I would like to write my own music, but is that really a must? What's standard notation. Is that like music notes? Are there any people that play guitar that can write their own music but don't know music notes. I know I'm looking for the easy way out, I guess I'm lazy

yes, yes, not many, and yes you are

this should help with learning and understanding www.musictheory.net
Quote by Article
She pulled off his left testicle and tried to swallow it, before spitting it out. A friend handed it back to Mr Jones saying "That's yours"

Wii Is For Queers! Co-Founder Of The "We Hate Wii" Club
Return to a Condition of Being...<-Band. Add plz!
Learn chords, learn rhythm, read tab and learn solos. Being able to read standard notation is not the same as being able to sight read on the guitar. You can read music, understand scale and chord composition, progression, and key signatures without being able to sight read. You can associate key and various scale patterns by understanding music theory and referencing and map of the fretboard with notes and still not be able to sight read.

Practicing sight reading is an alternative to being able to associate chords and scales. You can learn both or only one. My guess is that most guitarists learn chords and scales, and use tabs to pick up songs quickly. Sight reading rhythm is IMO a lot harder than getting rhythm from listening to the actual song. Eventually in order to improvise you need to get a feel for chords and scales on the fretboard. Learning songs and especially solos will help.
Learn Tab to get you atarted and then down the road slowly ease into learning it with Standard Notation, Ive known both since i started but i never used standard stuff until i got into theory.
Everyone learns tabs to get started, it's sortof the standard thing to do for beginners. As soon as you can fluently read tabs and have a general sense of navigating the fretboard then just ease your way into reading notes. I'm coming up on four years of playing and only now am I starting to venture into the theory side of guitar.
Tab to get started and notation when you're feeling a little more adventurous, notation helps with phrasing and rhythms as you can actually see the note lengths from the score.
I learned by standard notation and only started looking at TABS to learn a few songs here and there.

I think standard notation is better of the 2 but TAB is easier I guess.

I been playing for 10+ years and reading standard notation is something you never forget, like riding a bike, so I'd say it's easier to just learn that straight off as it helps you know what notes you're playing on the fretboard instead of just having a number for where to play, which really doesn't teach you anything except how to follow a pattern of numbers.

In the long run though, both are useful in their own ways.
Learning tabs is fine for starting, just make an effort to learn the notes you're playing too. You can take it slowly, maybe just start by learning the root notes of the chords you're playing but it's important to do that from the start. If you take the time to learn the simple bits of theory behind what everything you do it makes the more complex theory a lot easier later on down the line.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by NaySoRock

Dimebag, James Hetfield, Steve Harris....a lot of the major names in metal don't know music theory/standard notation and were self taught. You can find your way around a guitar and work out what sounds good through experience without any need for theory. Just knowing some chords/scales can help a lot without going much deeper than that, and even then you only need tabs to learn them.
That's crap, they may not know standard notation but they have LOTS of theory knoweldge - whether it was learned as such or assimilated over time it doesn't matter, ultimately they've learned the same thing.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com