Page 1 of 3
I searched and didn't find a thread like it, so I'm creating one. This is for all discussions pertaining to our Universe!
So....how about those Mets?
In an interstellar burst! I am back to save the universe...
The Universe ends. I know, I saw it, there's just end...That's what it looks like...It's just not there...It's like...the end is there but it's all endy and ended...but invisble...but it's still an end...right?
Quote by Imgameforlame
The Universe ends. I know, I saw it, there's just end...That's what it looks like...It's just not there...It's like...the end is there but it's all endy and ended...but invisble...but it's still an end...right?

butt.secks.

That is all.
Quote by Imgameforlame

Eh, there's an end, but it gets FARTHER and FARTHER and FARTHER away.

As in, 30000000000000000 miles a millisecond.
Crazy sh*t.

But yes.

How do you think the universe began?
Quote by Imgameforlame

which leads me to my next statement kids....don't do drugs

...christ this is going to be a long and complex thread...but uh what do you guys think about that whole "black holes can't exsist" theory...there was a thread on it earlier..thought it would be a good topic to start off on
Quote by rock_and_blues

...christ this is going to be a long and complex thread...but uh what do you guys think about that whole "black holes can't exsist" theory...there was a thread on it earlier..thought it would be a good topic to start off on

Yeah man, screw my topic.

I think that black holes DO exist man.

It's just like a gravity well man.
Massive gravity.
I mean they're caused by stars imploding right?
So wouldn't you think that they would keep their gravitational pull?
Quote by rock_and_blues

..christ this is going to be a long and complex thread...but uh what do you guys think about that whole "black holes can't exsist" theory...there was a thread on it earlier..thought it would be a good topic to start off on

Well I think blackholes must exist. It's like all the matter in the Universe is attracted to itself, so when that much matter explodes, all the gravity goes to one singularity. A black hole.
Science Damn You!
By reading this magnificently and wonderful, adjective-filled signature, you have just wasted approximately 7 seconds of your life.
Quote by AeroZeppelin09
Yeah man, screw my topic.

I think that black holes DO exist man.

It's just like a gravity well man.
Massive gravity.
I mean they're caused by stars imploding right?
So wouldn't you think that they would keep their gravitational pull?

Black holes are massive points where gravity sucks inwards everything that it can, and then reduces it all into a singularity (infinitely small point with infinite density).

As well, white holes are consider EXIT POINTS for black holes, if they do exist. What do you think?
A better question would be.. Where does all the matter of a black hole end up? I guess a white hole is plausible.

OHHH I knew you'd be talking about the Universe!!
Quote by Amalgam
Black holes are massive points where gravity sucks inwards everything that it can, and then reduces it all into a singularity (infinitely small point with infinite density).

As well, white holes are consider EXIT POINTS for black holes, if they do exist. What do you think?

So what the basic thinking behind a white hole is that the matter that enters a black hole is released from a white hole into an alternate place. Seems entirely plausible
Quote by Amalgam

At least black things get alot of credit in space So no Why isn't there black _____?
hahaha
/end crappy joke.

Wow man. If white holes exist, it's probabally that parrallel universe crap they talk about...
I mean, not exactly.. just another part of the universe perhaps?
Quote by Amalgam

Hmm..interesting.

I say we build a new intergalactic highway across some holes...that shall get us to uncle joe's much faster than the interstate.

but on a serious topic: does anyone ever become scared just thinking of how immense the universe is and how small we are?
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by MetalUpUrAss
But where would that alternate place be?

Somewhere else in space of course. However, white holes contradict the 2nd law of thermodynamics.

Quasars, however, have been known to emit matter, and are possibly the real exit points for Supermassive Black Holes.
As nerdy as this sounds, I read Stephen Hawkings book on black holes and quasars, and a quasar seems much more plausible.

On a different note, we all know the Big Bang theory of the Universe, but all in all, it's simply just a theory. Anyone else have some "out of the box" theories?
Quote by Amalgam
Somewhere else in space of course. However, white holes contradict the 2nd law of thermodynamics.

Quasars, however, have been known to emit matter, and are possibly the real exit points for Supermassive Black Holes.

Yet how could they be connected to a black hole? path-wise that is...

Quote by MetalUpUrAss
But where would that alternate place be?

Who knows, my guess would be (if they exsisted) a parallel universe.

Quote by evening_crow
but on a serious topic: does anyone ever become scared just thinking of how immense the universe is and how small we are?

No, not really. I've marvelled at the size of the universe before though. I like to follow the Butterfly Effect philosophy...that regardless of how small I or my actions are they still may have a massive impact on the universe.
i think it really sucks that we don't have the technology to have definite information and answers on topics like this
I'm a dude, he's a dude, she's a dude, we're all dudes HEY!
Well, quasars are the beginnings of galaxies, so it would make sense that matter condensed in a black hole could be spewed out of a quasar, thus being used to make new galaxies.
Quote by ItsThatDude
i think it really sucks that we don't have the technology to have definite information and answers on topics like this

I dont know, I've always liked the mystery involved...the fact that you could get lost for hours discussing this stuff, because almost everything is plausible, just always appealed to me. I think it would kind of be like finding out the ending of a book. Half the fun is getting to the end.
How can my actions have an impact on the Universe? Maybe our planet, perhaps even our solar system (though very far fetched). I mean, we can only do so much as an individual. In this case, size DOES matter.
Quote by MetalUpUrAss
How can my actions have an impact on the Universe? Maybe our planet, perhaps even our solar system (though very far fetched). I mean, we can only do so much as an individual. In this case, size DOES matter.

It's not really the size, its just what you do.
I mean, its like an algorithm(i'm doing C++ at the moment), every choice has a seperate outcome you know?
Quote by AeroZeppelin09
I mean, its like an algorithm(i'm doing C++ at the moment), every choice has a seperate outcome you know?

Oh yeah, I follow you on that. Like an infinite amount of possibilities, but those possibilities have a finite range. Like my actions wouldn't effect the course of the Universe in anyway.
Quote by AeroZeppelin09

And if we were to further expand on that, we would then be creating the theory of multiple universes.

That means, for every one choice created, out of all the possible outcomes a separate universe is created. That means there are an INFINITE amount of universes out there.

However, I prefer to believe in Einstein's theory that this universe is the only logical one, and therefore the only probable one.
I'm a little pissed about the History Channel show because every episode is about our own solar system. Don't call it The Universe if you aren't gonna leave our system. That being said, I do enjoy it immensely. The Jupiter episode blew my mind.
Listen to mah discs.

And coming soon, THE CLEVER DEVILS VS. THE BLONDES.

Vote for me in the
Quote by Amalgam
And if we were to further expand on that, we would then be creating the theory of multiple universes.

That means, for every one choice created, out of all the possible outcomes a separate universe is created. That means there are an INFINITE amount of universes out there.

However, I prefer to believe in Einstein's theory that this universe is the only logical one, and therefore the only probable one.

I follow Einstein's theory aswell... But if there were a parrallel universe, supposing there is life with the same question as ares, wouldn't that kind of ruin it.
"Guitarmen, wake up and pluck wire for sound, let 'em hear you play"
-Charlie Christian
"You have to give people something to dream on"
-Jimi Hendrix
"I try to make any guitar do what I want it to do"
-Slash
Quote by Amalgam
Well, quasars are the beginnings of galaxies, so it would make sense that matter condensed in a black hole could be spewed out of a quasar, thus being used to make new galaxies.

But then wouldn't quasars have to be connected to black holes (I didn't think they were...if they are my bad)

Quote by MetalUpYourAss

Even if it is the slightest almost undetectable impact, there still is one.
Quote by Amalgam

So by the multiple Universe's, you would have to presume that time doesn't exist in order for that theory to be possible. And you would also have to presume that we have a destined fate, because were living in one of the infinite possible Universes. I like to believe that I am in control. So I also like Einstein's theory.
I love it, it's a good theory.
Quote by rock_and_blues
No, not really. I've marvelled at the size of the universe before though. I like to follow the Butterfly Effect philosophy...that regardless of how small I or my actions are they still may have a massive impact on the universe.

Talking about that...does anyone think that time travel is possible? I do...but my theory is that (of course, i'm sure my opinion is probably shared by many) time travel isn't possible without entering an "alternate dimension." I think that if someone was to travel back in time, the moment in which he enters that time, (s)he would break up a branch of that dimension, creating an alternate one. After that, there would be the original dimension, and the alternate one running parallel to the previous one. The alternate one would be the one suffering from the time travel (any kind of domino effect, mainly by the simple fact of the appearance of a new presense), yet the original one would stay intact, except for the fact that that traveler would now be missing forever. If the traveler comes back to his era, he will not be entering the original dimension, but rather appear in the alternate one (mainly since time is only a point of reference) and create ANOTHER alternate dimension from that one. Traveling forwad in time...well, i think that the traveler would would appear in the original dimension and create the alternate one at the moment that he appears. Basically i say that every point in which someone would appear through time travel, a branch-like, and parallel, dimension is created. I don't think that changes done in the past by the said traveler would create changes in the original dimension as seen in science fiction; ie. the moment in which the traveler leaves the present giant ducks appear all over cuz the traveler kills a duck's predator when he reaches the past. Such occurance would create a paradox (if it already happened, why aren't the changes in place already?/Why do the changes occur when the traveler leaves if he's going to the past, meaning that whatever he does there already happened?...u get the idea right?), hence the need for "alternate dimensions."

so...whatcha think ppl? yeah, i know it's confusing, somewhat repetitive, and maybe not so original...but i'm only 18, and that's the easiest way to explain these things without using actual images as support.

Plz discuss, i want to know if anyone agrees or not with me.

Last edited by evening_crow at Jul 19, 2007,
Quote by evening_crow

Talking about that...does anyone think that time travel is possible? I do...but my theory is that (of course, i'm sure my opinion is probably shared by many) time travel isn't possible without entering an "alternate dimension." I think that if someone was to travel back in time, the moment in which he enters that time, (s)he would break up a branch of that dimension, creating an alternate one. After that, there would be the original dimension, and the alternate one running parallel to the previous one. The alternate one would be the one suffering from the time travel (any kind of domino effect, mainly by the simple fact of the appearance of a new presense), yet the original one would stay intact, except for the fact that that traveler would now be missing forever. If the traveler comes back to his era, he will not be entering the original dimension, but rather appear in the alternate one (mainly since time is only a point of reference) and create ANOTHER alternate dimension from that one. Traveling forwad in time...well, i think that the traveler would would appear in the original dimension and create the alternate one at the moment that he appears. Basically i say that every point in which someone would appear through time travel, a branch-like, and parallel, dimension is created. I don't think that changes done in the past by the said traveler would create changes in the original dimension as seen in science fiction; ie. the moment in which the traveler leaves the present giant ducks appear all over cuz the traveler kills a duck's predator when he reaches the past. Such occurance would create a paradox (if it already happened, why aren't the changes in place already?/Why do the changes occur when the traveler leaves if he's going to the past, meaning that whatever he does there already happened?...u get the idea right?), hence the need for "alternate dimensions."

so...whatcha think ppl? yeah, i know it's confusing, somewhat repetitive, and maybe not so original...but i'm only 18, and that's the easiest way to explain these things without using actual images as support.

+1 Nigga.

Questions that travel through my mind when I look at the stars through my smog filled skies.
Quote by rock_and_blues
I dont know, I've always liked the mystery involved...the fact that you could get lost for hours discussing this stuff, because almost everything is plausible, just always appealed to me. I think it would kind of be like finding out the ending of a book. Half the fun is getting to the end.

Ah okay i get you. I guess i was just never much of a thinker, or at least not on THIS scale. i have a question that maybe you guys would know about. you know about string theory? do you think something like that is actually feasible? if you do think it's a correct explanation of how things work why do you think so? if not, why?
I'm a dude, he's a dude, she's a dude, we're all dudes HEY!
Quote by AeroZeppelin09

+1 Nigga.

Questions that travel through my mind when I look at the stars through my smog filled skies.

If you watched that video I posted, you'd know about my theory of time travel.

One, we are in the third dimension, time being the fourth dimension.

Now, take a 2-D line. You can fold it THROUGH the third dimension and instantaneously create a loop from one part of the 2nd Dimension two another.

If the same rules apply, then the 5th dimension holds within it the fourth dimension, or rather, the line of time. Therefore, all you would have to do is fold the fourth dimension BACKWARDS through the fifth dimension to travel back in time, or FORWARDS to go ahead in time.

There is another theory as well, however. This is, that, if you were to somehow begin moving as fast as the speed of light and somehow be able to become faster than the speed of light, your body would then be moving faster than the particle rate of the universe, and you would be traveling forwards in time. Trippy, no?
Page 1 of 3