does anyone else get bad noises when playing around the 12 fret on the high e or b strings? this has happened to me on the last 2 guitars ive owned. the noises sound like theyre badly resonating and they sound ringing (in bad way). this only happens when im distorted. sux
Thats because of intonation. DONT BUMP YOUR THREAD
EDIT: You can get it fixed at a local guitar store, or you could do it yourself.
"Guitarmen, wake up and pluck wire for sound, let 'em hear you play"
-Charlie Christian
"You have to give people something to dream on"
-Jimi Hendrix
"I try to make any guitar do what I want it to do"
-Slash
get your intonation checked on those two strings...
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Quote by dcp01208
need advise!

Quote by dcp01208
This is not a chat room.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
It's not the intonation - what he's describing is nothing to do with it. Sounds like your action is too low on those strings and it's fretting out slightly. Raising the action should help in the short term, however chances are you've either got a dodgy fret or your truss rod needs a tweak - take it to a shop and get it set up properly and you should be able to have the action at it's current height with no problems.

It could be that the pickups are too close to the strings, especially if it's more noticeable under distortion, however that's unlikely as I'd expect problems with every note then.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
The same thing happens to me, the high notes sound thin and unsteady. Not sure myself of what it is, sorry I cant help.
Quote by steven seagull
It's not the intonation - what he's describing is nothing to do with it. Sounds like your action is too low on those strings and it's fretting out slightly. Raising the action should help in the short term, however chances are you've either got a dodgy fret or your truss rod needs a tweak - take it to a shop and get it set up properly and you should be able to have the action at it's current height with no problems.

It could be that the pickups are too close to the strings, especially if it's more noticeable under distortion, however that's unlikely as I'd expect problems with every note then.

IMO, he isn't describing fret buzz..He's describing that resonance you get when the strings are harmonizing but are tuned a few cents apart...
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
IMO, he isn't describing fret buzz..He's describing that resonance you get when the strings are harmonizing but are tuned a few cents apart...

Ah, you see I read it has he's getting that funny noise you get when a string is just catching a higher fret...I think we need to know whether this happens on single strings, or when multiple strings are played
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
First off, is your guitar in tune? Second thing, if it only happens while you distorted, then thats probably why. But are you talking about hitting one string or hitting two strings on the high frets?
the strings are perfectly in tune. its on only one string where this happens. this is the high E string near the 12th fret. as in 11, 12 13 and 14th frets. its a bad sound when u r distorted. as if i have bad pickups, but i dont (emgs). all the other strings sound great, just that sring near that position. some ppl said it might be intonation or traus rod, or even the action. i dont know which one...it would be nice to know though so i can directly fix it.
If you want to experiment and learn how to do it it's ok, but anything done without knowing how has the potential to screw up your guitar, usually temporarily, but in the case of the truss rod permanently (if you get it too tight, strip the threads or snap it.) Take it to a tech.
How old are your strings? might sound stupid but my old 51's E-string gets horribly intonated no matter what if my strings are more then a month old.
Epi Les Paul Standard
Vox AD50VT