Well, I'm stuck in a rut, and I need some help getting out of it. I'm getting depressed because I don't feel like I'm getting anywhere with my guitar playing. I've learnt sweep-picking, well, a few patterns, and I'm currently working on a five-string minor shape. However, after seeing some improvement, I appear to have hit a certain speed and I can't get faster. Also, I conform too much to scales, and nearly every riff I write sounds like a scale run or scale exercise, and this is also depressing me that I can't break out of that.

I just don't feel like I'm getting anywhere with my guitar playing. I've hit a certain level and I can't seem to advance. So I'm asking for help on breaking out of this damn rut.

Also, I already know a fair bit of theory, so don't tell me to learn more theory unless you tell me what I should learn and give me links. I know about scales and constructing chords out of a scale.

So please help! I'm getting really depressed...
sig goes here
for speed sit with a metranome add more notes between beats on a slower setting and hourrrrrssssssss really.

forrrrrr escaping scales ihad the same ****in problem and went through exactly wat ur goin through start using traids in ur leads us lower on the low e
or play chromatic alot more u just gotta think out of key flatten or sharpen the odd notes

or learn so skip strings alot more
"while you where fighting i had sex with her and to let you know she ravaged me .......not bragging but she had the biggest penis ever"--cuddles--pwk
Yeah I need to get a metronome and just start like that. It'll be boring, but at least it'll get me there.

My problem with string-skipping and playing chromatically is that everything I do sounds **** (to me). What can I do?

By the way, thanks for actually bothering to help me.
sig goes here