Page 1 of 2
My friend is getting tired of his rig. So he's abtou the revamp the entire thing, replacing a Epiphone Les Paul 100 with an Ibaez Artcore Hollowbody. And for his amp, he's replacing his MG10 with a.....MG? He wants to get a MG15dfx. I'm conpletely and utterly shocked why anyone would want to replace one MG with another. I have a Mg10 myself and I'm about to replace it with a Fender Blues Jr. So please, leave comments on here trying to knock some sense into my friend. Thanks
Avenged Sevenfold. November 10, 2007
BB King. December 1, 2007
Metallica. November 9, 2008
Avenged Sevenfold. November 23, 2008
i think you should be a real friend and steal his MG, sell it , buy a new one ( replacement ), then give it to him with a "you can thank me later" or "one day you will understand" note on it .

Does he know how much those amps suck ? really , tell him to go with you and you guys go out and test as Much amps in that price range as possible.

How long has he been playing ? cant he hear bad tone ?
Gibson SG spesial

Marshall 1987X MKII Head
Genz Benz El diablo 100 Head
Genz Benz Gflex 212 cab.

Korg AX1500G multi effects pedal
no, get it! the dfx means that it is SLAMMIN!
just ask zakk wylde
Gear:
Ibanez Destroyer
Roland Cube 60
Boss TU-80
Ovation acoustic
Original Crybaby

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried" Josh Homme

My Profile

^^Check out my profile for some improv solos^^
He's been playin since like Thanksgiving. Idk what he's thinking, I'm in complete and total aww of his stupidity. He's pretty good for palying as long as he has been though. He's just getting into blues, hense the hollowbody guitar, but I'm still not understanding the MG thing.
Avenged Sevenfold. November 10, 2007
BB King. December 1, 2007
Metallica. November 9, 2008
Avenged Sevenfold. November 23, 2008
Even considering the MG is any good, what is the point of replacing 10W with 15W - he'll gain nothing!
(Maybe the dfx, but still...).
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
Unless he plays in a Static-X tribute band he's making a monumentous mistake.

First, why would you replace a solid state amp of any kind with another one only 5 watts louder? There will be almost zero noticable volume difference.

And 2nd, assuming he's had it for more than 2 weeks, how is he not completely fed up with his tone sounding like a bucket full of assholes?

As his friend, it is your duty to do him two favors

1. Slap him in the face and tell him to snap out of it
2. Don't let him buy anything until you take him to the store to hear what a real amp sounds like.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
just get the blues junior and a distortion pedal and jam with him and his new mg. just rain all over him with volume until he begs you to stop. then you take him amp shopping.
Sit down with your friend and use the search function on this forum. You will find so many posts by experienced musicians explaining why MG's are bad that should be convincing. Listen to experienced musicians.
Yeah like us! ^
My stuff
Fender Telecaster Aerodyne Series
Gibson 1980 Les Paul Standard
Fender Standard Strat
Taylor 414-ce
Takamine Acoustic
1938 Gibson Lap Steel (priceless)
Fender Blues Junior
USA Big Muff Pi
Danelectro Fab Overdrive

My band
Quote by TehJermie
just get the blues junior and a distortion pedal and jam with him and his new mg. just rain all over him with volume until he begs you to stop. then you take him amp shopping.

yeah sorta, except if you wanna save him the humiliation of his new amp, get yours first and show his ass up!
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Just let him get along with his new MG with "crushing distortion". It's like being in the wild, you have to learn the hard way about how to survive against predators, like having your siblings ripped apart by lions.......or buying an MG. He will eventually figure out good tone, its just a learning curve at the end of the day.
tell him to get the 50 watt option

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

look for a an ex demo one. i got my mg50dfx for £100, bargain, and guess what? i can get a decent tone!!! great for tht price.
I wouldn't spend more than 50 cents per watt on an MG.

Just let him do what he wants. I have a friend who talks about how great spider III's are, and he says he's going to buy one. When he does I'm going to jam w/ him and make him understand it's ****ty.
Quote by p.stick
tell him to get the 50 watt option

dont bother with that, my school has two of the 50w built in effects MG's and IMHO My S h i t t y little Frontman (check my sig) is better than it.

to T/S Do what everyone else is saying, get your tube amp first and show him tone.
Have you just tried telling him? If he continues to be ignorant, let him waste his money, buy the Fender Blues Jr and show him a real amp
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
if hes getting into blues, tell him the blues jr. is called that for a reason.
also ask him to name ONE professional band who has really good tone that uses ss amps.
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

it depends what kinda sound you want (and how much money you want to spend). A lot of players actually prefer the sound tht solid state amps make. The MG DFX's have digital tube amp emulation optional which is pretty cool and sounds great, but obviously ain't the same as a real tube amp.

PS. Check out the band linked on my thread, they rule and are releasing a new EP soon. You will not regret listening to their songs on myspace.
Quote by philm87
it depends what kinda sound you want (and how much money you want to spend). A lot of players actually prefer the sound tht solid state amps make. The MG DFX's have digital tube amp emulation optional which is pretty cool and sounds great, but obviously ain't the same as a real tube amp.

I don't think they sound anything like a tube amp.

EDIT: Nor do they have any kind of tube emulation or modeling.
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Jul 19, 2007,
Mine does lol. Perhaps thts why i like the tone i get from it. Must say tht i hate it without the emuation. Now i know why you guys are always putting them down. I fully admit tht it sounds pretty poor without the tube amp emulation.
hah, you mean the 'frequency dependent dampening' switch?

if anything i find it just a mid/treble booster.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by marvelboy_04
also ask him to name ONE professional band who has really good tone that uses ss amps.

BB King?
"After while your cheap talk dont even cause me pain...so let your bullets fly like rain."
Quote by philm87
Mine does lol. Perhaps thts why i like the tone i get from it. Must say tht i hate it without the emuation. Now i know why you guys are always putting them down. I fully admit tht it sounds pretty poor without the tube amp emulation.

Err, don't really think it sounds like a tube at all, even with the FDD or whatever. You haven't played a lot of tube amps, my friend.
I love how it's totally like a shark smelling blood in the water everytime someone mentions an MG on here.
ESP Eclipse II
Epiphone Zakk Wylde Sig. Les Paul
LTD EX-400
DigiTech GNX4
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Roland Cube-60
Quote by silencesoloud
I love how it's totally like a shark smelling blood in the water everytime someone mentions an MG on here.

lmfao
"After while your cheap talk dont even cause me pain...so let your bullets fly like rain."
lol yeah, and if ur looking for tht person tht wants tht MG...yeah thts me. flame me all u want. w/e
Quote by marvelboy_04

Tool?

Friends don't let friends drive drunk, friend never let friends buy MGs.
Schecter C-1 Classic
LTD EC-1000
Fender American FSR Mahog. Chambered Tele 60th
Fender Mexican Strat SD Hot Rails Br/Ne
Fender Hot Rod Deville 4x10
Boss DD-6
Boss Metal Zone
Quote by FenderMG
lol yeah, and if ur looking for tht person tht wants tht MG...yeah thts me. flame me all u want. w/e

ha, there's no beating tht logic.

enjoy your 2nd MG, dumbass
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

If he gets an Ibanez Artcore, make sure he switches out the ****ty pickups, they are horrible.

Honestly though, Ibanez is NOT for hollow bodies, seriously.

Tell him to get either a stratocaster, gibson les paul, gibson SG, or an Ibanez RG.

Seriously.

Tell him to get a Marshal amp.
John Petrucci

The one and only god.
Quote by forsaknazrael
^Gamelon? The chick in there has great tone, and uses solid states.
Pantera? Dime use solid state Randalls. Good metal tone.
Brand New used some solid states on their new album.
Many Jazz artists like solid states.

It's not about tube vs solid state, it's about MGs being a crappy solid state.

Some solid states are absolutely fine and MGs are like Faeces-Flavoured Ice Cream but, seriously, Dime's tone was bad and I don't understand why people argue that. As for Brand New.. just no.

If he buys that MG, I'm going to chuckle.
ok, well, there are a few bands, but still.
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

Quote by forsaknazrael
Err, don't really think it sounds like a tube at all, even with the FDD or whatever. You haven't played a lot of tube amps, my friend.

I said it's not really the same as a proper tube amp, but it gives it a warmer sound
Page 1 of 2