Hey,
I'm not sure if I'm in the right forum but yeah. I'm into Punk , Rock and Aternative music and i'm looking for a hard song to play on bass. Any suggestions ?

Cheers,
Rancid - Maxwell Murder
Dave Mustain has wrote some of the most amazing solos...
That he can't actually play!
Anything by Jamiroquai
Quote by mustardman
Granted, they're crap, but they're decent.
Quote by PunkRockerMatt
Hey,
I'm not sure if I'm in the right forum but yeah. I'm into Punk , Rock and Aternative music and i'm looking for a hard song to play on bass. Any suggestions ?

Cheers,

If you are so good to play tough songs change music style.
EndeavoR
Yeah punk's easy to play. Some rock is harder. Funk is the creme de la creme for bass.
Quote by mustardman
Granted, they're crap, but they're decent.
Quote by Parx
Yeah punk's easy to play.

not entirely true. check out anything by Rancid and alot of stuff by Anti-Flag such as the song The Press Corpse. pretty nifty stuff
Quote by Parx
Yeah punk's easy to play. Some rock is harder. Funk is the creme de la creme for bass.

Rock harder than punk...? I doubt it. Listen to some Operation Ivy and Rancid. Have you heard Matt McCalls playing? Anti-Flag and The Suicide Machines too. There are TONS of punk bands with awesome bass playing, Just go out and look.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=540804&highlight=bass+songs

I haven't updated in a while because I wasn't sure how many people used it. I might some day when I have nothing to do.
Led Zeppelin - The Lemon Song
Stu Hamm - Moonlight Sonata
Victor Wooten - Classical Thump
Iron Maiden - The Trooper (this is only hard if you can't play triplets fast enough)
Primus - Tommy the Cat

That's just a few for you.
Bass is my life.
Quote by Joe-Fish
Rock harder than punk...? I doubt it. Listen to some Operation Ivy and Rancid. Have you heard Matt McCalls playing? Anti-Flag and The Suicide Machines too. There are TONS of punk bands with awesome bass playing, Just go out and look.

Rock has Flea.

Punk has Sid Vicious.

'Nuff said.

And for the record: The main riff on "Layla" is pretty difficult on any instrument. Fast as ****.
Quote by Evil_Jim43
Geekis, you are truly the Ghandi of our time

Quote by thefitz
Man, I really have to stop sigging you...

My blog:
http://david-hates.blogspot.com/
Quote by Geekis_Khan
Rock has Flea.

Punk has Sid Vicious.

'Nuff said.

And for the record: The main riff on "Layla" is pretty difficult on any instrument. Fast as ****.

the main riff on "Layla" is only played by the two genius' clapton and duane allman, not the bass.
Quote by Sly Taco
the main riff on "Layla" is only played by the two genius' clapton and duane allman, not the bass.

But you can play it on bass.

Hence the "on any instrument".
Quote by Evil_Jim43

Quote by thefitz

My blog:
i dont think layla is *that* challenging....imo...i mean for a rookie maybe, but i had that one down fairly fast
classical thump for sure...anything by vic for that matter
teen town by jaco is another good one
^ When I first tried it, I had problems with it. I have it good now, though. But if you're not that used to doing things fast or hammers like that, it can be hard.
Quote by Evil_Jim43

Quote by thefitz

My blog:
...Prog rock, you got your King Crimson, Dream Theater (prog metal)and Rush. Also check out some Steve Morse, Dave Lerue is a fantastic bass player. As for "regular" rock, Scarlet Symphony has a great bass player.
Holiday, Boulevard Of Broken Dreams And American Idiot's Solos!!!! Those Are Soooo Good!!!
greenday1182
Quote by watchingmefall
I'd say it's jazz.

+1 you want a true challenge learn something by Jaco or Marcus Miller. But as for something in your genre range, early Green Day has some really cool bass lines but I wouldn't call them hard
The solo in "Metallica - Orion" sounds pretty hard....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
The solo in "Metallica - Orion" sounds pretty hard....

Which one, the classical one isn't that hard to play but it's kind of hard to get all memorized, the distorted uber pwning one at the end is kind of hard, i still haven't learned all of it
Sid Vicious was just a poster child for punk. There are just as many "rock" bassists that suck that badly, too *cough cough Pete Wentz cough cough*

You have no right to bash all the bands of one genre simply because one of the bassists sucks.

And by the way, TS, you should check out stuff by Rancid and Anti-Flag, some of its pretty tough.
Quote by thunderbritches
+1 you want a true challenge learn something by Jaco or Marcus Miller. But as for something in your genre range, early Green Day has some really cool bass lines but I wouldn't call them hard

Learning to play others music isn't whats hard about jazz. Jazz bass is mostly all walking, ie. improvising. That's the real challenge to jazz. If you can do that, you can play almost everything.

To the Thread Starter:

Check out the new Interpol single, their bassist is very talented. I heard it today for the first time, and it compeletly caught me off guard.
rancid has some real fun stuff, but if ur lookin for a real challenge, learn les claypool's stuff
Quote by Parx
Anything by Jamiroquai

Dude I swear the only thing you ever talk about is Jamiroquai

Quote by Geekis_Khan
Rock has Flea.

Punk has Sid Vicious.

'Nuff said.

Haha Sid Vicious could hardly play bass at all. Both him and Flea are overrated, but at least Flea is still really good. Punk's best know bassists (that are actually good) would probably be Paul Simonon and Matt Freeman.

Aaaaanyways, early Green Day has interesting lines (though not that hard), Rancid and the Clash always have good stuff, and Black Flag's got some cool bass riffs. Punk is actually full of awesome bass players, even though people dismiss it as a no-talent genre.
Quote by seypaire182
any bass that uses a pick is for n00bz

First of all, you mean bassist, not bass. Let's use the correct noun. Thanks.

Second, anybody who says something that ignorant and elitist is a "noob" themselves.

Third, it's good to be able to do everything you can. That means playing with a pick and fingerstyle. That's something that Flea does. Adam Clayton does it. Jim Creegan does it. A lot of bassists do it.

And even if you can only do one or the other, that doesn't make you any less of a player.

EDIT: I think Jim Creegan does it. I believe I've seen him do it. But now that I think about it, I could be mistaken about him. But even if I am, my point still stands. (Heh, that rhymed.)
Quote by Evil_Jim43

Quote by thefitz

My blog:
Last edited by Geekis_Khan at Jul 20, 2007,
Quote by Geekis_Khan

EDIT: I think Jim Creegan does it. I believe I've seen him do it. But now that I think about it, I could be mistaken about him. But even if I am, my point still stands. (Heh, that rhymed.)

say that out loud to yourself.. there is no rhyming there..

don't worry, i've done that to myself as well.
Quote by Greenday389
Led Zeppelin - The Lemon Song
Stu Hamm - Moonlight Sonata
Victor Wooten - Classical Thump
Iron Maiden - The Trooper (this is only hard if you can't play triplets fast enough)
Primus - Tommy the Cat

That's just a few for you.

classic thumb?? This is extremely hard
EndeavoR
Quote by -zj*
say that out loud to yourself.. there is no rhyming there..

don't worry, i've done that to myself as well.

"Am" and "stands" rhymes. Rhyming is (at least how I remember learning it in English class) when two vowel sounds are the same. The two "a" sounds in those words produce the rhyme.

Even if I am, my point still stands.
Quote by Evil_Jim43

Quote by thefitz

My blog:
I cant believe no one has mentioned Fat Mike -.-

He is so talented, and sings, too.

Try some bass solos from The Decline.

Or the Bass from Sticking In My Eye, its easy but fun.

Rise Against has a decent bass player, too.
Old School Chili Peppers from early,mid eighties is full of ridiculous bass lines.
Fender Rosewood Sunburst Mexican Stratocaster
Dunlop Classic Fasel Inductor Crybaby Wah
Digitech Whammy
BOSS DS-1 Distortion
BOSS DS-II Turbo Distortion
BOSS DD-3 Digital Delay
BOSS CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
Crate GX-15