Hey guys, I don't frequent this forum, so I'm not sure what the etiquette is on asking about specific gear because I'm sure you've been asked hundreds of times before. Still, I'll give it a shot anyway.

Next month I'll be buying a whole new rig. I've got my eye on an Ibanez 1570 for my next guitar, but I'm struggling choosing an amp. I want something affordable (£300-400 is my limit. That's around $700-$800 to you yanks). I also want an amp that doesn't take up too much room, because I don't have copious amounts of space in my bedroom. Sure, it can be quite big, but not too big. Thirdly, I want an amp that can give a high-gain (I'd probably have to buy an overdrive pedal, too) crunch tone whilst at the same time still keeping the warm feel of a valve amp. Gain's very important for me.

Anyway, the Valveking looks promising, but I'd like some opinions from you guys first. I'll be testing it out in a few days, but for now I'd just like some input. I have very limited knowledge when it comes to amps.

So, is the Valveking worth it? Is it suitable for my requirements?

If you don't think the Valveking is for me, would you be able to recommend another amp that could suit my requirements better?

I appreciate any sensible replies.

Thank you.

- Dave (Smokey Amp)
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Personally, I think the VK has plenty of gain (except for death metal or grindcore). But a lot of people are gonna disagree and maybe they're right. You could get an OD pedal, like you said, but ofcourse you'd need a noise suppressor to go with it for any kind of gigging. IMO its a good choice for the money. I'm going t get one whenever I HAVE money heh.

About the guitar you want though, have you checked out the S series of Ibanez? I was an RG fan for awhile until I noticed that the S guitars are a much better deal. I'm starting to think RGs sell more for their name.
We're only strays.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
Personally, I think the VK has plenty of gain (except for death metal or grindcore). But a lot of people are gonna disagree and maybe they're right. You could get an OD pedal, like you said, but ofcourse you'd need a noise suppressor to go with it for any kind of gigging. IMO its a good choice for the money. I'm going t get one whenever I HAVE money heh.

About the guitar you want though, have you checked out the S series of Ibanez? I was an RG fan for awhile until I noticed that the S guitars are a much better deal. I'm starting to think RGs sell more for their name.

Thanks for the reply.

I honestly haven't thought about the S series. I was recommended the 1570 a long time ago and they seem to suit my requirements (Floating, reliable bridge, fast neck, HSH set up) and for a good price.

I just had a look at the S series and the S-670FM is very nice. Why do you think they're better than RGs? I'd like some comparison, please.

The main reason a lot of people reccomend against the Valveking is because its known for its reliability issues and lack of good Quality Control.

with that budget, you can defintetlly do better than a Valveking.

if used is an option for you i'd suggest a used Peavey 5150 combo.

or maybe a Laney with an OD pedal since Laney is such a good value where you are.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Quote by igotabcrich32
The main reason a lot of people reccomend against the Valveking is because its known for its reliability issues and lack of good Quality Control.

with that budget, you can defintetlly do better than a Valveking.

if used is an option for you i'd suggest a used Peavey 5150 combo.

or maybe a Laney with an OD pedal since Laney is such a good value where you are.

I'll see if I can test any of those amps in my local guitar store in a few days. I've looked online but can't seem to find any pricing for the 5150 combo, plus my internet is being a bitch. I'd prefer not to buy a used amp. How much are they new?

Also, which Laney models would you suggest?

EDIT: It says the amp is voiced to Eddie Van Halen's specs, but I don't like his sound.

Last edited by Smokey Amp at Jul 19, 2007,