I work at a small beer and wine drive thru (an apparent rarity, if you dont know, its a large building that you can literally drive through and get your beer, smokes, chips, pop, etc) to pay my way through college. Outside on the lot, we have a couple mexican guys who run a taco stand. Every night after close, I chit-chat with em in a mixture of my bad spanish and their bad english, but usually I have my guitar with me and they ask me to play somthing. Just for a lark, I'd like to learn some contemporary spanish music, somthing they might recognize instead of just Romanza and some remotely spanish sounding riffs. I was thinking of some Mana stuff, but I was wondering if anyone else had any ideas.

(Sorry I always seem to leave especially long posts, just trying to keep it more interesting then "whats a good song.." )
Last edited by Garou1911 at Jul 19, 2007,
Um I don't know if this is what you're looking for but you could try Cancion Del Mariachi by Los Lobos. It's one of my favorite spanish songs to play.
Quote by acjshapiro

Quote by Vrstone87

meh, I've listened to every radiohead album and honestly don't get what everyone loves about them.....

cause you're ****ing stupid

if by spanish songs you mean songs in spanish, which I'm assuming is what you mean because you mentioned Mana (a very latin american band), then I've got a few popular suggestions.

Look up Guantanamera on UG-- anyone who speaks spanish knows it.

Mana-wise, everyone recognizes Mariposa Traicionera, and the intro is actually pretty fun/easy to play and there's some cool little guitar licks scattered throughout, plus the tabs online are pretty good (but I dunno how UG's tabs are). Muelle de San Blas and Vivir Sin Aire are some of the 'original hit' songs, good for acoustic playing, they're actually featured on their MTV Unplugged CD.

You should also check out Nacha Pop's Lucha de Gigantes.. the band's frontman, Antonio Vega has a good acoustic version you can watch on YouTube. Simple chords, but it's a well structured, powerful song. Featured on unarguably one of the best Mexican movies ever, Amores Perros, which is also arguably one of the greatest movies of all time, period.

If you can, you could also play some ranchero music-- I've never looked for the tabs-- you might be best off letting them sing you a verse and you figure out the chord progression. They tend to be simple 4 to 5 open chord songs, and you usually just play 'bass with thumb, then pluck treble strings with three fingers to get mexican country sound' style. Everyone will know El Rey.

My post is long too-- just keeping it interesting.
ah crap I just realized you wanted contemporary. scratch El Rey and Guantanamera then.