Is a distortion pedal really necessary with a tube amp? Or would overdrive be enough?
I'm getting a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe in a week or two and I'm wondering if I should take my DS-1 out of my pedalboard.

By the way, I'm not looking for really heavy metal type distortion. I play mostly classic rock and blues.

Steve
I guess try it out, but most likely it won't sound great.

You will most likely want an overdrive or booster, as it will keep a great tone and just give you what you need. The drive on a HRD is enough for blues and classic rock.
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Amplifier:
Fender Blues Junior - Eminence Red, White and Blues
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Whatever floats your boat. I occasionally use a ProCo Vintage Rat with my Boogie. I just like the sound of the pedal. You don't "need" any effects at all, just what sounds best to you.

BTW, just to clear something up, Overdrive pedals and Distortion pedals are the exact same thing, except that overdrive pedals have lower output, so you can use them in conjunction with the amp's distortion. Overdrive pedals are called that not because they overdrive your amp, but because they simulate the sound of an overdriven tube amp. If you want a pedal that actually overdrives your preamp tubes, get a clean or treble boost pedal.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Jul 19, 2007,
You dont need a Distortion pedal for a tube amp, OD pedals go nicely though. You probably should take your DS-1 out. If you want a good OD, Boss Blues Driver (BD-2), its got really smooth crunch. But you could always get the Ibanez Tube Screamer TS808, because its really better than the TS9, although, it costs a lot...
"Guitarmen, wake up and pluck wire for sound, let 'em hear you play"
-Charlie Christian
"You have to give people something to dream on"
-Jimi Hendrix
"I try to make any guitar do what I want it to do"
-Slash
I use a modded DS-1 with my amp. I like the added versatility. That and it sounds good.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by Dirk Gently
Whatever floats your boat. I occasionally use a ProCo Vintage Rat with my Boogie. I just like the sound of the pedal. You don't "need" any effects at all, just what sounds best to you.

BTW, just to clear something up, Overdrive pedals and Distortion pedals are the exact same thing, except that overdrive pedals have lower output, so you can use them in conjunction with the amp's distortion. Overdrive pedals are called that not because they overdrive your amp, but because they simulate the sound of an overdriven tube amp. If you want a pedal that actually overdrives your preamp tubes, get a clean or treble boost pedal.

i agree- but if you set the level high, and overdrive low, on an overdrive you can generally get a pseudo-clean boost. It's boosting the tubes, but adding a little of its own dirt too. you can do the same with a distortion pedal, just doesn't work as well.

or am i wrong?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
actually i got fantastic results with a metal muff and a windsor head .....but that was for a heavy tone

but most of the time yeah an OD pedal i enough
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
Quote by Dave_Mc
i agree- but if you set the level high, and overdrive low, on an overdrive you can generally get a pseudo-clean boost. It's boosting the tubes, but adding a little of its own dirt too. you can do the same with a distortion pedal, just doesn't work as well.

or am i wrong?

That sounds about right. I've boosted my VJ with my big muff in the past, so a distortion pedal would probably work. I've even heard of people using Metal zone's to boost amps.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
You could get by without the distortion pedal. I also play classic rock and blues. I use an overdrive pedal to get a little more variety even though my tube amp has plenty of gain. I have used the pedal as Dave Mc says and it is a very handy little boost.
Quote by timi_hendrix
That sounds about right. I've boosted my VJ with my big muff in the past, so a distortion pedal would probably work. I've even heard of people using Metal zone's to boost amps.

yeah, but is that boosting it by mixing the pedal's gain with the amp's, or using the output of the pedal (volume) to boost the amp's gain?

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Most of the time you'll be set with your amps distortion and an OD for anything slightly boosted and more driven.

However, if you like the tone of a particular distortion pedal, by all means use it.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay