Ok so my little brother is 8. He's into the White Stripes (Hey look who else is. )

He can't play chords at all even power chords.

He can play the intro to Seven Nation Army pretty easily and the intro to Heartbreaker too.

He just wants to play rock songs but I can't really think of any really easy ones that don't involve chords.
Duke Ellington - If it sounds good, it is good.
Then teach him power chords

EDIT: If he can't play chords, he should play bass. But as a bassist, I don't want to perpetuate the myth that bassists are failed guitarists. Then, as a guitarist, I don't want some kid to think they can play guitar if they can't so much as do power chords.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
he's gonna have to learn at some point, teach him chords and the basics, everyones gotta start somewhere
keep blues alive
Quote by Greg Harper
I'm sure it said in the guitar bible somewhere that all beginners must learn Smoke On The Water.

Um, that was even in the regular Bible. In some translations, this is the word of Jesus. Smells Like Teen Spirit is also mentioned.

Your brother has to at least know power chords. Or he is not able to play guitar, no matter what he may say.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by break-me-in
Um, that was even in the regular Bible. In some translations, this is the word of Jesus. Smells Like Teen Spirit is also mentioned.

Your brother has to at least know power chords. Or he is not able to play guitar, no matter what he may say.

The kid gives up really easily, but I can't blame he's 8. He has really scrawny fingers which doesn't really help. Yea I think he can manage to play Smoke On The Water I tried teaching it to him before but he had trouble but now I think he's go it.
Well if he gives up really easily, he doesn't want to play guitar enough to learn, so refuse to teach him unless he actually wants to play... Or you could teach him and when he gets older he'll be good because he started young. His choice.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
I got my little brother and his friend interested in playing chords by teaching them some of the easy chords (powerchords would fit here, E minor, D Major 7th, E7) some of which sound scary but are easy as hell to play (1 or 2 finger chords).

Then I'd say he could go an write a song with those chords after I taught him how to play them, made sure he played them cleanly, then sent him off to write a song. Admittedly...the songs weren't great...but he's only 9, and the chords were played properly...

But for him to be interested in that, he's got to want to do it for himself, not because he feels he has to.
at that age, try teaching him something involving an open E5 and an open A5 power chord(s). that way he only has to use one finger.

also have him start working on some minor pentatonic stuff. start off with just a one octave shape on the higher strings.

working on scales makes your fingers more flexible, making chords easier to play as well.

the main thing is to keep him motivated and looking forward to practicing the next time.
Quote by stringzzz
at that age, try teaching him something involving an open E5 and an open A5 power chord(s). that way he only has to use one finger.

also have him start working on some minor pentatonic stuff. start off with just a one octave shape on the higher strings.

working on scales makes your fingers more flexible, making chords easier to play as well.

the main thing is to keep him motivated and looking forward to practicing the next time.

Yeah I've taught him the A Minor Pentatonic Scale and I think I'll see if I can teach him the other modes of it.
Chords and riffs should be enough for now. He'll probably not have much of an attention span at 8, and I think you alluded to that. Keeping his interest is #1 -- that's the biggest challenge if he wants to be good down the line. Learning guitar takes time and effort.

It's not much of a rock song, but "Horse With No Name" is an easy two-chord song that anyone can learn and play quickly. It might be a good intro to keeping rhythm, changing chords, strumming, and all that good stuff. Plus, he might think it's cool to be able to say he knows how to play a whole song.

And just a side note... my younger brother died just yesterday, and it's surreal how fast it happened. He was just getting into guitar as well and was actually getting pretty good. Value your time with your bro and don't take him for granted, because he might not always be there.
Just get him into tabs and cover songs to get used to guitar. Stuff like Sunshine of Your Love works very well
**** Alizec that's rough man . My little brother is 12 and is very much an instant gratification kind of kid (aren't all kids?). The hard thing for me is to find stuff to keep him interested in playing...and also for him to keep from learning something half-assed. Maybe try the intro to One by Metallica or Come As You Are by Nirvana, those are the first two things i learned. Just don't throw too much at him (like modes...the box scale is plenty for right now...). Also teach him how to read (and visit UG to find tabs...) so he can learn something on his own if he ever feels like it. Good Luck! I'm trying too man!
Quote by StenTheAwesome
**** Alizec that's rough man . My little brother is 12 and is very much an instant gratification kind of kid (aren't all kids?). The hard thing for me is to find stuff to keep him interested in playing...and also for him to keep from learning something half-assed. Maybe try the intro to One by Metallica or Come As You Are by Nirvana, those are the first two things i learned. Just don't throw too much at him (like modes...the box scale is plenty for right now...). Also teach him how to read (and visit UG to find tabs...) so he can learn something on his own if he ever feels like it. Good Luck! I'm trying too man!

Yeah Alizec dude I can't imagine my bro being gone, sorry for your loss.

Yeah my brother just wants to show off that he can play rock n roll like his big brother (He looks up to me too much) I'm gonna introduce him to the site so he can surf the tabs and see what he likes and ect. "Come as You are" great idea, I personally hate Nirvana but that would be a great one thanks.
Quote by Anything Goes
The kid gives up really easily, but I can't blame he's 8. He has really scrawny fingers which doesn't really help. Yea I think he can manage to play Smoke On The Water I tried teaching it to him before but he had trouble but now I think he's go it.

if he gives up easily, guitar might be a lost cause right now

however, have him check out www.justinguitar.com the lessons there are really helpful, and not too fast paced for a beginner
Enter Sandman, Iron man (the verse riff, it's just like the power chord riff but without the 5th) rat salad (if he can play seven nation army he should be able to play it) Maybe the intro to kryptonite, but you'd have to show him the chords so he could finger them to get the let ring right so it might be too hard. I learned the intro to great big white world by marilyn manson the night i got my first electric. it has no chords and could be a good starter for learning bends and releases. The first three songs i learned were great big white world, iron man, and the beautiful people. Try to teach him iron man, he's gonna have to learn to play power chords in order to play rock.
ESP F-200 with Floyd Rose>

Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Electro Harmonix Pulsar Tremolo
BBE Boosta Grande
Fender Pedal Tuner>

Peavey Valveking 1x12