OK i was going over the mode positions in the pentatonic mode section of the MT sticky and i had a question.

Ionian
|R|-|o|-|o|
|-|-|o|-|o|
|-|o|o|-|o|
|-|o|R|-|o|
|o|-|o|-|o|
|R|-|o|-|o|
Dorian
|R|-|o|o|-|
|o|-|o|o|-|
|o|-|o|-|-|
|o|-|R|-|o|
|o|-|o|-|o|
|R|-|o|o|-|
Phrygian
|R|o|-|o|
|o|o|-|o|
|o|-|o|-|
|o|-|R|o|
|o|-|o|o|
|R|o|-|o|

Say this is in the key of A. To play B dorian, is the root note still on the 5th fret, or does it begin on the 7th? Same goes with C# phrygian. Does the pattern start on the 5th fret or the 9th?

I hope this made sense!

thanks!
Quote by iantheman
I went to school stoned twice. the first time was a lot of fun, but the second time we had a guest speaker from the women's resource center come in, and talk about rape. I couldn't contain my laughter. Never again.
B Dorian will begin on the 7th fret, if it started on the 5th it would be A Dorian, same goes for the rest.
If you play B dorian over an A major progression it will sound ok but will not be dorian but just a position of A major.
wait so if it starts on A Ionian on the 5th fret then it will be B Dorian on the 7th fret and so on?
Quote by iantheman
I went to school stoned twice. the first time was a lot of fun, but the second time we had a guest speaker from the women's resource center come in, and talk about rape. I couldn't contain my laughter. Never again.
^ A ionian starts on any A note on the fretboard, B dorian starts on any B note on the fretboard...same with any other mode/scale.

Every mode of A major can be played in the "Ionian box" above
Every mode of A major can be played in the "Dorian Box" above
same goes for all those boxes shown above

Learn the notes/intervals of each mode, and combine that with your knowledge of where the notes are located on the fretboard.