I have had an electric guitar for about 2 years now, and have claimed that yeah, "I play guitar" Which is true. Only I suck. I took lessons for a couple months but didn't really pay attention or practice and soak stuff in. I want to teach myself to play and was wondering where to start, and I would appreciate some pretty detailed steps. I have heard to learn theory and scales but thats about it. So any tips would be great, thanks.
well i was completely self taught for a year but i would just teach myself songs i like step by step so i would have something that i could work towards
anyways good luck
Welcome To The End My Friend, The Sky Has Opened
UG has a bunch of online lessons you can check out. u should hav paid attention when u took lessons. u paid 4 them. its like skipping classes in college, u paid 4 them.
make yourself a practice routine you can do everyday. you can be creative and make your own by figuring what your weaknesses are or you could look online for resources (books, youtube, UG, etc.). theres a guy whose name is "justinsandercoe" on youtube who has a lot of useful practice drills.

practice everything slowly. i know its cliched but it will really help out. make part of your practice purely technical/mechanical...forget about timing and rhythm...just focus on getting your fingers in the correct position first (fingers on their tips and right behind the frets). make sure when you're doing this your fingers are loose and relaxed. when everything looks good then you can tighten up and play that note or chord. when finished loosen up again and get into the next position you need to play.

also practice forcefully. just because your practicing slow and relaxed doesn't mean you have to play your notes softly. whether you are using a pick or your fingers pluck as hard as you can...but immediately afterward do your best to loosen up again. this will build power and a stronger sense of control which will allow you to play loud, clear notes even at high tempos.

apply these principles to your practice routine and learning new songs.
I like to play classic rock and alt rock and all rock except the heavy stuff. I dislike the heavy stuff and country.
Don't skip basic open chords and whatnot to go learning random crap from tabs. I made that mistake and now I'm going back to revisit all that good stuff because I've realized I completely suck.

I've only been at it for a few days, and at the beginning I definately hated it, ("Man, who gives a **** about dominant seventh chords?" I thought) but already my skill in other areas of playing has increased greatly. Before I started back at the beginning I was having a rough time playing "Have a Cigar," but since I've seriously revisited the basics, I've nearly perfected the song.

In short, don't take the easy way out.
In the Oven:

18 Watt!
i would just get a book about teching yourself to play guitar, then when you're fairly comfortable with the fretboard, find out how to play some easy songs, and then you can learn harder ones, etc.

who knows. maybe, in a couple of years, you will be able to play some hendrix.
-Gibson SG Faded
-Behringer HB01 Wah (I realize it sucks, but i have no money right now)
-Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive
-Ibanez CF-7 Chorus/Flanger
-I'm not gonna list my amp until I get a decent one
just google guitar chord dictionary.
or use powertab. they have every chord you can think of in there.
-Gibson SG Faded
-Behringer HB01 Wah (I realize it sucks, but i have no money right now)
-Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive
-Ibanez CF-7 Chorus/Flanger
-I'm not gonna list my amp until I get a decent one
someone else already said this, but make sure you have a sort of routine going

devote at least 20 minutes to warming up! This is very vital. Suggestions for warm ups: note location warm ups, find all 12 notes and all their placements on the six strings, use a metronome and start at about 40 bpm and work your way up. Next, start doing some dexterity exercises like chromatic scales, make sure to alternate pick. This way you'll be able to warm up both hands. Next play major and minor scales in their moveable positions. And for about 5 mins, if you know your pentatonic scales, just improvise over a blues backing track. After that, have something you want to learn planned out, whether it's theory or a song (The way I have it set up is, I look at something theoretical/technical in the morning, and learn/play songs at night) Most importantly, make sure you play your guitar consistently! If you do not stay dedicated to it, it will be very difficult to progress. If you can, find some friends that you know are guitarists, and ask to jam/hang out with them and play guitar, this is the most critical part. You MUST be exposed to other musicians, and having someone that's slightly better than you may motivate you to keep trying harder. I hope this helps, let us know how stuff goes.
http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/6/62/Allchords.gif
That could help with chords.
Try tab out songs by yourself- doesn't matter how bad you are, don't spend all your time just learning songs and theory- I've always felt bad with the amount of songs that I used to just go "I'll just go look at the tab for this", whereas the songs I learnt myself, I feel closer to (call me sentimental). While you learn theory try and tab out a song and try and relate it to the theory (it's pretty easy when you pick it up, shouldn't take too long, and a bad ear can always be substituted with a little bit of theory knowhow)
I'm just stressing the importance of listening to what you're doing, rather than just going at it.
Oh- and sing notes. Seriously. Sing a note, then try and use that note to find another (like you'd start with the octave above).
1) play the 5th fret on the top (thickest) string
2) play the 7th fret on 2 strings down (if you play the two together, they don't 'beat' at all- it all sounds very harmonious and such.
3)play the first note again
4) try and sing the second (7th fret) note.

After a while you should be able to do it without having to do step 2. Maybe if you're good enough you will even be able to sing the notes having to hear any of the notes beforehand!
But anyway, soon you will move onto singing more variations than just octave apart notes, which will all help in your ability to hear chord types and the like- it's always impressive being able to hear someone play something, or hearing a song, then just playing it yourself because you can tell what chords (or at least, you have a good idea and can figure it out quickly).

Just don't be discouraged, take your time, and do it well mate. Most guitarists nowdays are the guys that go into it and don't give a thought to what they're doing, and end up coming up with mediocre songs or limited ability because they never took the time to do something (like practising slowly, or developing a better ear by singing).
Who reads sigs anyway
Last edited by strong_wizard at Jul 20, 2007,
It's not a question of what you want to play. Do exercises and stuff and with time and patience you'll soon be able to play anything.