I have an Ibanez S 520EX and I want to change the bidge pickup (for now, then the neck pickup later.. lacking money )

I really like Steve Vai sound, I like his tone, but I don't exclusively play that kind of music, I want to be able to play trash metal, classic rock and cleans...

here are my questions:

1- Should I put an Evolution in the bridge and something else in the neck for the cleans or is it good for cleans and trash metal too?

2- same question, but replace Evolution by Breed

the Breed has lower output than the Evolution, so it may be better for cleans, but I don't know if it can handle heavier stuff

if you have any other suggestion, just tell me, I will look at them, but keep in mind that I'm looking for Vai-ish sound
MY GEARS:
Ibanez S520EX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul w/ Killswitch
Fender 12-string Acoustic
Fender Champion300 (to be changed soon to a Tube Amp)
Ibanez TS-9 Overdrive pedal
Boss PW-10 pedal
The evolution is a great pickup, but beware, like an active emg, it can really bring out your mistakes, and suffers with bad technique. But with fairly okay technique, and clean playing, it will scream. The breed is also really nice, i'm sure it could handle metal, but the evo would do it better. A breed sounds fatter and warmer than the evo, a bit more PAF like than the evo.
Is Evolution better, equal, or worse than Evo 2 for my specifications?
MY GEARS:
Ibanez S520EX
Boss PW-10 pedal
Last edited by alex3996 at Jul 19, 2007,
I'm not really sure how the Evo 2 compares to the Evolution but I have a 7-string Evolution as the bridge pickup of my Ibanez Universe. Suprisingly being a high output humbucker, if you roll down on the volume control it sounds decent, depends on your EQ. I have a push/pull for coil split and it sounds real good in both modes. Very versatile pickup, you just really have to EQ it right, and like Surf said it's a very unforgiving pickup and everything stands out. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's helped me hear little things in my playing I need to work on.
I could give you sound clips of a Breed, but it'd be irresponsible seeing as they were recorded through a 60 watt tube amp - they won't make an awful lot of difference through your Fender and I'd just be giving you false hope.

If you're on a budget then pickups are a complete waste of money in terms of what you'll get for your outlay...which will be nothing save for something pretty stuck on your guitar. Put the money towards a new amp if you actually want significant improvement in your tone.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jul 20, 2007,
But in this case, new pickups are a very good idea because, frankly, the Ibanez Inf's are just ****e.
No they aren't, because the amp isn't good enough to take advantage of them, Inf's are pretty uninspiring but replacing pickups isn't a priority if your amp isn't up to scratch - it's just money down the drain.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
And on the other hand, a decent amp from Marshall would be wasted on a Squier. :p
then, for 500-700$, what amp should I get?
(just see my 1st post for the sound i'm looking for)
MY GEARS:
Ibanez S520EX
Boss PW-10 pedal
Quote by SurfGreene
The evolution is a great pickup, but beware, like an active emg, it can really bring out your mistakes, and suffers with bad technique. But with fairly okay technique, and clean playing, it will scream. The breed is also really nice, i'm sure it could handle metal, but the evo would do it better. A breed sounds fatter and warmer than the evo, a bit more PAF like than the evo.

Hmmm thanks for that i'm goign to look into it. The tone on the pick-up is ****ing awesome as in the evolution i'm getting that in the neck and in the bridge an X2N perfect mix and match in my opinion.
These walls are closing in, they're bound to suffocate me
Compled to live my life in ways I could never imagine
Can you save the dying eyes? Sentenced to never be free
I stand convicted of all your fucking lies.
Get the evolution, my favorite pickup so far. like others here said, it's versitile, I play everything from old deep purple to iron maiden with it. oh, and don't forget the harmonics, pick squeels are a cinch.