ive always heard people say "this song in the key of F" or suttin like tht... would just like to kno wat the keys are, wer are they on the guitar, etc........
keys? XD Hahaha it's basicaly what notes you can and can't play

liek the C major scale and the A minor scale each have no sharps or flats

the D major scale and the B minor scale have F sharp, C sharp

You can remember sharps by
FCGDAEB
And flats
BEADGCF
I don't even shred
the sexy lawn gnomes right heres a link to the key circle http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circle_of_fifths
each way left raises a sharp frmo c (no sharp or flat) in order FCGDAEB
each right flatens in order startin from f(Bb) BEADGCF
"while you where fighting i had sex with her and to let you know she ravaged me .......not bragging but she had the biggest penis ever"--cuddles--pwk
fried chicken goes down after every beer

bead... go call fred

i just realized how ridiculous it is to remember them that way...
-A key is a set progression of notes that follow a particular pattern.
For example, the scale in the key of 'A' Major is A, B, C#, D, E, F#, G#, A. If you were to play these notes in order from the first note to the last note, you would be playing the A Major scale. The major scale follows the same pattern no matter which note you start on (For the next thing remember that a whole step counts as two frets up and a half step counts as one fret up) (W=whole, H=half). The Major scale starts with the root note (in this case, A) and goes W-W-H-W-W-W-H.
The Minor key is probably the key that you would hear bands like Metallica, Iron Maiden, Children of Bodom, and As I Lay Dying use, just to name a few. This particular key gives a song a more dark and depressed sound to it unlike the Major scale which is upbeat and cheerful. The A Minor scale is A, B, C, D, E, F, G, A. This minor key has no sharps so it is easy to remember. The Minor progression in terms of steps starts with the root note then goes, W-H-W-W-H-W-W.
If you have any questions or comments, feel free to email me at seekanddestroy001@hotmail.com.