k ive got some extreamly good quality recordings.

but want help mastering.

can someone give me a good crash course in mastering
Fender H Stratocaster USA.
SX P90 Mahogany Hawk
Gibson Les Paul Studio Double Cut

Delta Labs Tube Driver
Hardwire SC-2 Valve Distortion
Delta Labs Stereo Chorus
TC Nova Repeater
Korg Pitchblack Tuner Ped

Fender Super Champ XD
Mastering, is something that doesn't come best without a lot of experience. A lot of mixing engineers don't like to do mastering themselves. Ideally to breakdown mastering from my knowledge is:

You are balancing out a group of tracks so they sonicly blend together. By that I mean your frequencies are balanced in every song so they are relatively similar, the volume levels are balanced so they fit together properly. It's not an easy thing to describe, and I do not believe there are any experts at mastering on this forum. And by experts I mean someone with real world experience in a mastering house who knows what they're doing. Not someone who can throw a limiter on a song.

I think you really need to understand what mastering is and whether you need it. Depending on what you're doing it may just be a matter of sticking a limiter on your mixes, just to bring them up to a more acceptable volume level.
Last edited by take_it_t at Jul 20, 2007,
well i have one song and i put some hard limiting and some mastering reverb on it.

but that seems way too simple.
SX P90 Mahogany Hawk

Delta Labs Tube Driver
Delta Labs Stereo Chorus
TC Nova Repeater

Fender Super Champ XD
Why the hard limiting? Personally, even with my experience as an engineer I send my stuff off to be professionally mastered - it just imo does not work so great in a home studio setting.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

Quote by guitargod5
well i have one song and i put some hard limiting and some mastering reverb on it.

but that seems way too simple.

Hard limiting? No, no, no... Mastering reverb? No, no, no!!! If you're hell bent on mastering yourself (and thrice_removed has the right idea, the professionals will do a much better job) then you need a simple chain of basic mastering tools that you then have to tweak until your ears bleed.

But first you need to be extremely familiar with your monitoring. Play all of your favourite albums through your monitors and know every nuance of them. (And, as a side bar, if you don't have specific monitors, not just crappy computer speakers, or you're trying to mix/master using headphones; don't even bother.) Listen to albums that, to you, sound better than others. What makes them better? (And don't just in for the "louder sounds cooler" trap.) I'll say this again, know your monitors.

Assuming you have a good room, good monitoring, and a lot of experience listening to them, then you might be able to squeeze out a decent master at home using plugins. If I'm just doing a demo, and that's all I would ever master at home, then I use 4-5 plugins for my mastering work. A multi-band compressor; a good EQ; possibly an exciter (depending on how the material holds up against similar professional recordings); and lastly, a limiter. If any of these are unfamiliar to you you have work to do before you even start mastering.
Send it to a pro. They have the experience and the gear.
Quote by Chikitty_China
Well, when I'm fapping, I sometimes look at my left hand and wonder what could have been ....
Quote by Superpowerless
I'll do it for you for free if you want?

DUDE ARE YOU ON PD?

im blinked
SX P90 Mahogany Hawk

Delta Labs Tube Driver
Delta Labs Stereo Chorus
TC Nova Repeater

Fender Super Champ XD