Hey I want to get an ibanez neck. Lately I've been looking at scalloped frets on necks.
Please tell me what you think about scalloped necks and how they play!
Also please tell me if i should get half scalloped or full scalloped!
Much Appreciated!
Thanks!
Dblanks
Shred

Soon to be a proud owner of a custom ibanez with a mahogany body, EMG 81 85 pickups, Floyd Rose, Ibanez Neck, Custom Paint Job(Not Sure Yet Wut Color, Let Me Know If You Have Any Cool Ideas)
Last edited by ibanezplayer145 at Jul 20, 2007,
scalloped necks are friggin disgusting. not to mention the lack of stability they have.
half scalloped looks wierd. go for full. it looks even lol. if u have another guitar thats not scalloped, then get both. if u don't like it, get another neck. they're bolt on aren't they? so it'd be easy to replace with a regular neck. sell the scalloped neck to somebody that wants it.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Alright cool.
But i would just like to know if anyone has personally played with a scalloped neck and if you like it? Also, if what peever ^ said is true about the stability of the neck, which i find hard to believe.
Dblanks
Shred

Soon to be a proud owner of a custom ibanez with a mahogany body, EMG 81 85 pickups, Floyd Rose, Ibanez Neck, Custom Paint Job(Not Sure Yet Wut Color, Let Me Know If You Have Any Cool Ideas)
I scalloped the last 6 frets of my RG some time ago. You basically feel nothing but string, which is kinda weird at first . It did make it a little easier to bend. But its like forsaknazrael said: you really have to see how it is for yourself. Im not sure how a fully scalloped neck feels...
I fully scalloped the neck on my Kramer Focus. I personally enjoy the feel of the neck, and everyone that has played that guitar has thoroughly enjoyed the feel of the neck. I think it plays great, no more difficult than before the scallop. A scalloped neck feels good if done right, especially if you are into big bends or vibrato.

A scalloped neck is not really any less stable than a normal neck. My guitar's neck stayed just as straight after I scalloped as it was before. Tuning isn't any less stable, there have yet to be any issues regarding integrity of the neck.

Now, I have a theory as to why most people do not like scalloped necks, or have issues with scalloped necks. The theory is that people scallop WAAAAAY too deeply. Trust me, just get a light scallop profile on the fretboard, then move on. Regardless of what people say, you should not need to remove very much wood. My scallop is very shallow all the way up and down the neck, just deep enough that my fingertips are just barely above the fretboard when I play. If you scallop anything more you are wasting time and materials.

I think what happens is people get this mentality that their fingertips are gonna drag if they don't go deep, and then they wind up with a guitar that has 1/8" scallops, which feels horrible and is totally unplayable for most people. My scallops are all less than 1/16" of an inch at their deepest point.
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free
Yeah, the scallops don't have to be deep at all.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
I'd like to try a guitar with a very slightly scalloped neck.
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
I'd let you play mine; but, according to your location thing, you live in England. That's a long way from the USA, but if you pay for the trip I'll bring the guitar.
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free
I'd let you play mine; but, according to your location thing, you live in England. That's a long way from the USA, but if you pay for the trip I'll bring the guitar.
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free
yinme malmstein started it (idk how to spell his name). he learned how to play music on a stringed instrument with a scalloped neck, so when he shifted to guitar he scalloped it cuz that is what he was used to. Since then it kinda became its own little thing.

It plays different than anything i have ever felt, you gotta get used to it.
It reduces the amount of fretboard drag by removing the wood inbetween the frets, the upside of this is you can have very wide bends and vibratos and notes sound out easier and clearer. 5 finger tapping is much easier as well, it just takes time to get used to.
Edit: Yngwie did not start it. And it didn't get popular because of him, I think its popular (on guitar) because of a mixture of 3 people:
Ritchie Blackmore
Yngwie J Malmsteem
John McLaughlin
Last edited by XibanezedgeX at Aug 2, 2007,
Quote by treebranch13
yinme malmstein started it (idk how to spell his name). he learned how to play music on a stringed instrument with a scalloped neck, so when he shifted to guitar he scalloped it cuz that is what he was used to. Since then it kinda became its own little thing.

It plays different than anything i have ever felt, you gotta get used to it.

Well, Yngwie claims to have seen an old lute or something with scalloped frets, and gotten his inspiration from there...
But Ritchie Blackmore, one his influences, was doing it before Yngqie...So it's altogether Yngwie lifted the idea form him and is just too big of an ego-maniacal Swedish meatball to admit it.
I kinda actually think that Yngwie did the least for increasing popularity for scalloped necks. I think that Blackmore and McLaughlin were far better known, and more popular. Of course, I could be totally wrong.
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free
I have played the Ritchie Blackmore Stratocaster with the full scallped neck and I loved it. No stability issues that I could tell. I am acually probably going to scallop mu neck myself (http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/scal1.htm ). You can't feel the fret board, only the string. I thought it was awsome and you should get yours done.

Hope it helps!
AJ
I scalloped mine some time ago and I think it's awesome. It's great because it forces you to have a lighter touch and thus increases your ability to play cleaner and faster. Plus it looks super cool.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

Dead thread is dead.

Reported.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
It makes bends alot easier, imo. I wouldn't do it on the whole neck, though. I think it might feel a little too weird for chords, but thats just me. Im actually planning on scalloping frets 17-24 on my RG and my Rhoads.

Edit: holy necrobump batman! Three years old!
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by smartalec007 at Jan 27, 2010,