Right, this is annoying... I pick up my Guitar (Sh*tty Electric Guitar made by ION), I plug it in and what not... When I look at the tabs for whatever it is I want to play, NOTHING comes to my head - I can read them fine, but I just can't seem to play them (even with Stairway to Heaven, which apparantly is easy)...

What's wrong with me?
Quote by Mr. Harbl
Practice what though?

How long have you been playing?
I started out with AC/DC. If your just starting, I suggest you start with them, because they sound cool, and they are very easy. You learns your basics there, such as power chords, and the basis for the pentatonic scale.

EDIT: lol, learns your basics.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
Try listening to a whole bunch of songs.

Ill suggest some Wolfmother, Nickelback, other sort of rockish bands.
Alright, thanks SGstriker - But why is it some of the Tabs I've found have the notes labelled backwards so that B is next to the bottom (after E obviously)?
Quote by Mr. Harbl
Alright, thanks SGstriker - But why is it some of the Tabs I've found have the notes labelled backwards so that B is next to the bottom (after E obviously)?

eh, thats odd. Do you have a link to said tabs. It might be a typo.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie

Quote by WCPhils
Merlin, I've JUST started playing - There's no chance I'll be able to play anything of the Nickelback calibre.
I've got Smoke on the Water done - But C'mon, that's not even worth mentioning really is it?
Oh ok, i misunderstood.

Start learning your chords and strumming patterns to begin with. Then find some songs with some nice chords and easy finger picking in them (the beginning of Slide - Goo goo dolls mabye)

Work on your finger co-ordination, because when you start co-ordinating your fingers to switch between chords can be utterly confusing.
SGstriker, Nae, I downloaded them, and they're at home now - Where as I, am not... But apart from the 2 'E' notes, all the others are on the opposite side of where they should be.
Quote by Mr. Harbl
SGstriker, Nae, I downloaded them, and they're at home now - Where as I, am not... But apart from the 2 'E' notes, all the others are on the opposite side of where they should be.

thats odd. Well, whenever you are home, Private Message me the tabs, if thats possible, and I'll have a look at them.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie

Quote by WCPhils
ha ha judging by ur little graphic thing u obviously no about blink 182....... their stuff is simple, i started in dammit and adams song two of my favs wen i was a little kid....... also if u wanna learn some songs in your sleep just go for a few ramones songs........ not really knowing how 2 play was one of their credos
Dark Merlin - Thhis will INDEFINATELY make me sound like a twat, BUT if I'm only reading Tabs, do I really need to know Chords?

Metalimaster - I can't play anything at the minute, not Blink, not EVEN The Ramones - I'm awful!
well i spose we all have 2 learn sometime........
maybe go 4 some intro's or just real eay riffs rather than focusing on a whole song.......
on no wait i'v got it........ u no tenacious d........ they have this thing they do called one note song.......... that one's in everyones league....... mainly cos its just talking but........... it's on the cd so it's a 'song' i spose.........
Quote by Mr. Harbl
Cheers SGstriker, It's appriciated! What AC/DC songs should I start with?

Well, I would start with a song called "Shoot To Thrill" It was the first one I learned completely through. Also try The Jack, and Highway to Hell. TNT is also pretty easy.
The chords are basic power chords, the solos aren't too complex, although, if you don't get them at first, don't get discouraged. It just takes time and patience. The solos are all based around the pentatonic scale, which is the most versitle of all scales, and is used in nearly every popular song.

Also, try listening to some old blues songs for some basic stuff. I'd suggest Robert Johnson, BB King, and Buddy Guy. Not saying they are bad, because they are amazing.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie

Quote by WCPhils
Last edited by SGstriker at Jul 20, 2007,
Alright then, I'll bare all this unmind (until I next sleep upon which I'll forget it ALL) Thanks!