Heyas!

I am in the market for new guitar/amp, after vast consultation and research I have choosen the Epiphone SG G310 guitar (unless u can convince me otherwise of a better choice). I still have no idea what to go for amp wise, I've done a bit of research but i still am not sure...

The Story so far..

My Budget:
$650'ish (This budget could be streched over that slightly if there is really a breakthrough in quality within $50-100)

Also note that 650 is Australian Dollar, so if it helps.. 650 AUD = 571 USD and 650 AUD = 278 pounds ( i feel like such a nerd)

Musical Influences:
Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Megdeth, Slayer, Guns N' Roses, Skid Row, AC/DC. in playing tabs, it'd be sabbath, maiden and metallica.

The Epiphone is already at $300-350'ish which leaves me with $300 (note again, 300 can be streched if there is a breakthrough in quality within $50-100'ish)

Please note why the amp/guitar is a good/better choice.

THANKS ALOT GUYS! Any advice or choices will be MUCH appreciated.
how long have you been playing, and NOOOOOOO DONT GET THE EPI G310!!!!!!
My Gear...
Guitars:
- Ibanez RG350EX
- Cort Acoustic
Amps:
- Randall RG75
Effects:
-Boss ME-50 Multi Effects

Quote by Ajax413
Pfft... I know a guy who didn't even masturbate until he was 18... now that's a late bloomer.
-im not sure solid state or tube amp. I hear tube amps are better but cost more, whatever produces good sound and different levels of distortion for riffs or solos.

-I've been playing aprox 2 years(really slack though), I haven't owned an electric guitar yet, metal was the real reason i decided to really start.

-The SG 400 is out of my price range if i plan to buy a decent amp.

I only plan to jam to tabs and stuff, no false dreams of a rock God.
Last edited by Mattmakesmetal at Jul 20, 2007,
if you're only going to practise at home i'd strongly recommend a roland cube 30x, but if you're going to jam occasionaly with friends (and a drum) then get a cube 60.

best amp for you without a doubt. (or a vox valvetronix but i'd lean towards the roland cube )

if you're starting out you don't need a tube amp.
cube is a ss.
Last edited by The Masterplan at Jul 20, 2007,
Quote by Mattmakesmetal
-im not sure solid state or tube amp. I hear tube amps are better but cost more, whatever produces good sound and different levels of distortion for riffs or solos.

-I've been playing aprox 2 years(really slack though), I haven't owned an electric guitar yet, metal was the real reason i decided to really start.

-The SG 400 is out of my price range if i plan to buy a decent amp.

I only plan to jam to tabs and stuff, no false dreams of a rock God.

depends, is the amp ONLY for practicing at home ?
Ampwise a Vox Valvetronix 15 watter would probably be your best bet....$359 on that site. Plenty of amp models which means you get an idea for what's out there and will know the kind of sound you want if you ever upgrade. Also a few built in effects to muck around with, and it sounds nice. You suffer from "UK disease" wherby guitars tend to cost twice what they do in the US, so be prepared for lots of recommendations that swallow your entire budget!

http://www.guitar.com.au/amplifiers/electric/vox/valvetronix/ad15vtad30vt.htm
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
once again, cube 30x and the cube 60 are out of my price range. the 20x is affordable. If the cube 30x is really that much better, i may hold my breath and save up.

I plan to play at home mainly maybe a garage band
Epiphone LP 100

Better feeling, sounding and abit better for metal.

I have it now.

Or Jackson JS series, im getting a second guitar with is probably a Jackson JS Kelly with EMG or Seymour Pickups.

Im probably save up for a Vox 60 myself after I buy my Video Card for my computer.
+1.
At that price range the amp IMO is either a roland cube or a vox valvetronix wihout a doubt.

Never played that guitar, save up and get something better though if you are real serious, or if you are still getting into it then I suppose something at that price point would be fine then upgrade later.

Craig
Floyd Rose DST-2
Vox AD15VT
Quote by Mattmakesmetal
once again, cube 30x and the cube 60 are out of my price range. the 20x is affordable. If the cube 30x is really that much better, i may hold my breath and save up.

i only played the 30x so i can't tell for sure, but i think the 20x will be about the same sound-wise so that one's probably good too.

about that lp 100 recommendation here, to me those guitars are kinda crap so i wouldn't recommmend them.

as for the vox recommendation, it's up to you if you prefer the vox or cube but for metal the cube is arguably much better.
Dont get the G-310, the quality is very poor... if G-400 is out of your price range, maybe you want to look into ESP viper 100??

And yeah, cube 30 for your amp definately.

If you want a tube amp, try ibanez valbee, its got a lot more features than other lower wattage tube amps. (3 band EQ, presence... etc.)

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

OR TS, you could look into the vox valvetronix XL's, specially made for metal !
that or a cube, without a doubt.
Quote by Mattmakesmetal

I plan to play at home mainly maybe a garage band

cube 30 (without the x) is cheaper than cube 30x and about the price of cube 20x.

Whats the difference between the two?? I dont know to be honest...

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

after a second thought, maybe a used SG G-400?? Maybe another used amp perhaps??

Quote by KileManA7X

p.stick the viper 100 would swallow all the money i have..

are there any other choices guitar wise for half the price of the viper 100?

I cant stress enough im not going on tour with iron maiden, im playing songs of joy in my bedroom. i might have exaggerated that a bit..

just the best guitar/amp for my specifications at my budget.

A cube is the probably the choice atm, whats this about a Cube 30 without the x? because if not that its a cube 20x
no it doesn't have to be the SG shape, looks dont worries me TOO much. as long as it isn't a pink hello kitty guitar. It just needs to have good specs and sound good.

and yeah it can..

i found

ESP LTD Viper-100 Electric Guitar

brand new for 635, the store is located in my city.
There's little point in looking at things on musiciansfriend as the prices don't translate - looking on an Australian website is a lot more helpful.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com

Quote by KileManA7X

Quote by Mwoit
Perhaps try a Cort model?

http://www.guitar.com.au/guitars/electric/cort/g250.htm

I think Cort models are made in Indonesia or Korea, and are generally better quality than Epiphone low models. It is more versatile than the G-310 as it has 2 single coils and a humbucker at bridge, which allows more tones to be produced.

although i think x-2 would be a better choice as it has a thinner neck and a neck humbucker for metal

EDIT: if i remember rightly, the x series of cort is made in the same factury as the rg series

Quote by KileManA7X