What modes should I use to get that "jazzy" sound? Maybe it's not even in the major scale, but the minor, but whenever I play in Ionian, it just doesn't sound right. Any examples/tips would be helpful. Thanks.

stuff like this
http://youtube.com/watch?v=476vNb6thyM
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Last edited by calebrocker at Jul 20, 2007,
Try out the melodic minor scale and also some of its modes such as the lydian dominant. Diminished and whole tone scales also work pretty well for that kind of jazzy sound.
You can doodle in Cminor and be pretty safe improvising over what he just played.

The thing about jazz is that it's a lot of forward motion, with a lot of tension and resolution, what jazz is harmonically is a bunch of ii-V and ii-V-I and for the soloist to sound like he is playing jazz, he has to outline the chord progression.
the dorian mode is great for jazz. THis guy is pretty much just arpegiatting a lot of the time with a few little licks thrown in here and there. For stuff like this learning all about chord tones and how they fit in with everything would be the way to go to get stuff like this.
what about faster lead stuff like this?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=IdfTuMKtK98
Quote by steven seagull

Quote by convictionless
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
its the megasuperjazzshredguitar scale

theres no one scale, something i find that can get the jazzy sound if you do it right is something called modal interchange

definition:
' Modal Interchange - Using chord structures and their chord scales from a parallel (having the same pitch axis) mode or scale.'
so basically mess around between C major and C minor, and when you play a C major chord, play C Ionian over it, and then switch to say, a Ebma7 chord, which is the bIII of C major, so you change from the major scale, to the minor scale, and then play Ionian over that agian

and then just do that a billion times with a buncha different chord changes
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
I know it's not always fast, but people don't always want to listen to elevator music all the time

The first video I posted shows some slow, smooth jazz, while the second shows more upbeat fast shuffle jazz. I mean, if I'm going to move away from the whole shred scene for a while and broaden my skills, I'd like to be able to play all different kinds of styles. That's what makes a good musician. Not just sticking to one style all the time, but exploring into different genres.
Quote by steven seagull

Quote by convictionless
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!